Author Topic: Talking electronic translators  (Read 17384 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
RE: Talking electronic translators
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2009, 01:35:03 am »
Simplified chinese referes to the written language and is used everywhere in China except Hong Kong. All the different dialects use it with the exception of Cantonese and even then most signage, papers etc are written in Simplified, with the exception of Hong Kong where traditional is used
Mandarin is the spoken language not the written, the person asking the question on Ebay hasnt done their homework!!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2009, 03:11:35 am »
'seems like the price via the link is cheaper than the price on Ebay, related to the MT-7000.
It seems to be a good tool.
I use on my mobile phone, China2go Phrase Book, many sentences from english to chinese, with pinyin and chinese characters.
but...
You can not type anything. You just choose the sentence there is with many other ones (food, social, sightseeing, basic...) and then you can see the translation in chinese :)
anyway, there are some good sentences but the problem is that it is not at all a translator tool to do your own sentences.
but anyway, it's a good tool for beginners, would I say.
- Let's Rock -

shaun

« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2009, 05:20:35 am »
Ronan,

I must be losing my mind.  I cant find the link you are talking about.

Shaun

David5o

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2009, 06:55:48 am »
Skip,

Mandarin is the official language of mainland China, and is spoken everywhere without exception. The same goes for simplified Chinese in it's written form. So although there will be areas of China that still use there local form of Chinese, virtually everyone will speak Mandarin, and understand the Written simplified Chinese writing. Two main exceptions are Hong Kong and Taiwan, That do not follow Mainland China in either spoken or written Chinese.... So the MT-7000 has exactly the right format for your needs....

David....

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2009, 07:38:56 am »
Quote from: 'shaun' pid='17988' dateline='1253870435'

Ronan,

Shaun

The on ahiwaki (cant remember how to spell his name!) linked to on page 2 of the thread - https://www.iknow.com.sg/products/productslist/productdetails/tabid/81/p-364-mt-7000.aspx

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2009, 08:15:38 am »
By the way, as I'm talking with Lyian on QQ, she says me she usually uses this weblink :
http://fy.iciba.com/

it seems easy to use : either you can write in chinese or english, you validate as Ctrl+Enter, and then it translates on the right side :)
- Let's Rock -

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2009, 09:44:43 am »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='17995' dateline='1253876148'

Skip,

Mandarin is the official language of mainland China, and is spoken everywhere without exception. The same goes for simplified Chinese in it's written form. So although there will be areas of China that still use there local form of Chinese, virtually everyone will speak Mandarin, and understand the Written simplified Chinese writing. Two main exceptions are Hong Kong and Taiwan, That do not follow Mainland China in either spoken or written Chinese.... So the MT-7000 has exactly the right format for your needs....

David....

Thanks to everyone who responded.
Skip

brett

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2009, 01:25:18 pm »
Quote from: 'Sylvain D' pid='17981' dateline='1253862695'

'seems like the price via the link is cheaper than the price on Ebay, related to the MT-7000.
It seems to be a good tool.
I use on my mobile phone, China2go Phrase Book, many sentences from english to chinese, with pinyin and chinese characters.
but...
You can not type anything. You just choose the sentence there is with many other ones (food, social, sightseeing, basic...) and then you can see the translation in chinese :)
anyway, there are some good sentences but the problem is that it is not at all a translator tool to do your own sentences.
but anyway, it's a good tool for beginners, would I say.

Wow, thanks for the tip about China2go. I've just installed it on my phone and it's fantastic! OK so it only has preset phrases in it, but it will do for emergencies and it's better than lugging a phrasebook around.

On top of that, my lady is sure to be impressed with my phone's Mandarin, even if she isn't impressed with mine :dodgy:

shaun

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2009, 06:37:26 pm »
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='17998' dateline='1253878736'

Quote from: 'shaun' pid='17988' dateline='1253870435'

Ronan,

Shaun

The on ahiwaki (cant remember how to spell his name!) linked to on page 2 of the thread - https://www.iknow.com.sg/products/productslist/productdetails/tabid/81/p-364-mt-7000.aspx

Ronan,

You must have bought the last one.  They are out of stock.

Shaun

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2009, 12:01:51 pm »
Received my Besta MT-7000 today, that's 4 or 5 working days from Singapore at reasonable shipping rate, that company is not bad at all.

The Besta seems to be quite cool, it charges on a USB cable so if you're travelling with a laptop, no other power supply needed. The casing is solid, no creaking or unsolid feelings, just the front bezel is lacquered and I wonder how that will hold up with time (although maybe I'll learn Mandarin fast enough not to need the device anumore when it gets tired). The lessons are great, MP3 compression is just a tad harsh but acceptable. Headphones are included, although I'm not sure volume will be sufficient to pass some time on the plane, but some lower impedance headphones will correct that. It comes with a protective pouch that's really nifty except when you want to access the stylus, good screen, watch the scratches when hand writing  on it!

And well, it is fairly light but a bit too big for a jeans back pocket. Great buy all the same!
Go deep or don't go

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2009, 01:14:00 pm »
Quote from: 'Voiceroveip' pid='18588' dateline='1254326511'

Received my Besta MT-7000 today, that's 4 or 5 working days from Singapore at reasonable shipping rate, that company is not bad at all.

The Besta seems to be quite cool, it charges on a USB cable so if you're travelling with a laptop, no other power supply needed. The casing is solid, no creaking or unsolid feelings, just the front bezel is lacquered and I wonder how that will hold up with time (although maybe I'll learn Mandarin fast enough not to need the device anumore when it gets tired). The lessons are great, MP3 compression is just a tad harsh but acceptable. Headphones are included, although I'm not sure volume will be sufficient to pass some time on the plane, but some lower impedance headphones will correct that. It comes with a protective pouch that's really nifty except when you want to access the stylus, good screen, watch the scratches when hand writing  on it!

And well, it is fairly light but a bit too big for a jeans back pocket. Great buy all the same!

Voice, as well as the lessons it has a functional dictionary right that will be useful over in china?

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2009, 09:31:57 pm »
Hey Irish, it's actually fully featured yes, so it transalates words or sentences and displays the translations in ideograms and pinying. There are also common phrases by category. I'm including a few pics.

There is also a manual in Chn and EN, but it is easy to use, I didn't open it yet.

Size wise, it's not much thicker than my HTC 3G, see last pic, but it has a much bigger surface and with the pouch it becomes sort of a massive wallet.

PS: sorry about the smear marks, the glossy surface is a real design flaw actually :D

[attachment=776] [attachment=777] [attachment=778] [attachment=779] [attachment=780]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 09:43:17 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

shaun

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2009, 10:28:34 pm »
Hey,

They are out again?  What's up with that?

Shaun

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2009, 11:17:26 pm »
Thanks Voice, cant wait to get mine now!!

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2009, 03:13:14 am »
Haha, I'lll ask Besta for a commission! :D
Go deep or don't go