Author Topic: Bringing gifts, sending messages, smoking..  (Read 3936 times)

David5o

RE: Bringing gifts, sending messages, smoking..
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 02:12:20 pm »
Shaun,

I agree, Ex smokers are the very worst of anti smoking. I've even had to come to blows on one occassion, and from being perfectly correct too, being in a smoking defined area of a pub in Essex.
The guy involved took a nasty stance about a friend and i smoking. We did point out that we were in a smoking area, and if he objected why not move to the non-smoking areas (which were substantially bigger) Anyway, this absolute nutter got up, ...got hold of the back of his chair and raised it up over his head, ...like in one smooth unbroken move. I swear that it could of only been through shear auto reaction, that before he had time to change from upward movement to downward movement of this chair i had landed a blow squarely to his face. He and the chair went crashing backwards onto the table he was sitting at. The owner, who had seen everything asked this nutter to leave the pub, leaving the owner and myself apologizing to each other for the mess and disturbance. All this over Smoking a ciggy, in a smoking area of a pub, ....Bloody Crazy!!! ....Yes it turned out, he was an Ex smoker too!!!!

It's getting even more dangerous being a smoker these days, now you have to worry about all these Ex Smokers being around!! ...haha!!

David....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 02:33:22 pm by David5o »

shaun

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 08:42:14 pm »
David,

Once an ex-smoker comes to terms with himself they change into a passive non-smoker. I recognized early on that the smell of cigarettes was a real temptation to me. Before this happened I was very anti-smoking for 1 or 2 years after quitting. When I realized what the issues were it gave me the freedom to not be offended by smoking; to admit that a freshly lit cigarette after a good meal actually smelled good and a couple of sniffs didn't hurt.

In America smoking in public is almost completely banned. It is difficult for smokers anymore and I kind of feel sorry for them. It has become more of a stigma today.

Shaun

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 11:08:44 pm »
Quote from: 'shaun' pid='15980' dateline='1252456934'

In America smoking in public is almost completely banned. It is difficult for smokers anymore and I kind of feel sorry for them. It has become more of a stigma today.

Shaun

Yes they have become the butt end of jokes.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Danny

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 06:15:24 am »
Here are my thoughts on what's been said:

I gave up smoking about twelve years ago. If ever I find out the world is coming to an end real soon, I am going to take it up again. It's a wonderful pleasure. It's a shame what it does to your insides.

I think it would be a disgraceful thing for someone who knows what cigarettes do to you to buy anyone else a carton of cigarettes. There are lots of things you can buy someone. Buying cigarettes for someone you care about is a much worse thing to my mind, than buying them nothing at all.

I wouldn't choose a woman who smoked. I've buried one wife from lung cancer. I don't want to bury another. In fact I want her to bury me and come and cry at my grave *laughs*

It's really hard to force someone else to give up smoking. It's easier said than done.

I think if you know someone smokes when you go into the relationship you're stuck with it. You should just put up with it and gently encourage them to give it up. I think it would be pretty mean to give your woman an ultimatum about the cigarettes.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:16:12 am by Danny »

Offline Chinese Knot

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 01:38:18 am »
Quote from: 'Arnold' pid='15896' dateline='1252379057'

Irish , I don't know if I told you this or not . But my late Wife was a chain smoker when I met her and out of Love toward's me
( knowing I did not smoke ) she stopped almost Cold Turkey .
Now ... you can see how much Ling really Loves you , by just trying to quit at least .

You ask what other's would do in your case . Well , here is what I would do and I think it would work out great . You do not actually have to do it but pretend and act drunk after drinking a few Beer's or Wine . Knowing most Chinese Woman don't like their Man to drink . This is where your ACE in the hole is . Tell her , you give up drinking if she give's up smoking . Sounds fair to me . If she still doesn't want to quit ... it's two choices for you . Live with it or live without her .

I agree with Arnold ,if she doesn't want to quit ... it's two choices for you . Live with it or live without her . AFter all , this is a life choice .it is always difficult for the people who want to quit smoking ,that needs a strong will .   I don't think it is a good ideas you bring cigarette as the gift . Just as what other brothers said that you would better talk to each other with your heart and tell each other's feeling and find the better way to work this thing out together .  Good Luck !:heart:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:42:04 am by Chinese Knot »

Offline Norb Smith

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 08:21:15 pm »
OK..... Now I have a question about gifts, for instance, I have gotten my lady a laptop computer that I am planning to take and give to her when I get there, I know that it will also have to be converted to Chinese Windows for her to operate it, now the problem arises that at the same time I want to also take mine with me so that will be two computers, hers and mine and am wondering if this will be allowed, as I will have hers in my luggage and mine I will carry on, just so they know that its a gift will I have to put a bow on it or will I only be able to go with just the one computer, was figuring on taking both that way she could learn to use hers and I would still have mine to keep in contact with everyone here and my family also. The other thing is how many cartons of smokes are you allowed to take with you as I am planning on at least 3 weeks..........any help on this would be greatly appreciated

Norb
To have good neighbors, you need to be a good neighbor

Offline maxx

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 08:56:55 pm »
Buy the smokes in China they will be alot cheaper.you can take both computersOne of the computers as carry on the other well cushioned in your bags.

Offline Norb Smith

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 10:42:10 pm »
Thanks Maxx that is what I was worried about the most was her computer, and I assure you that it will be well cushioned in my bag
To have good neighbors, you need to be a good neighbor