Author Topic: Mike and Jessica  (Read 34198 times)

shaun

RE: Mike and Jessica
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 05:37:46 pm »
Mike,

Sad to hear the job interview didn't work out for you.

Shaun

Arnold

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 07:34:29 pm »
Same here Mike , sorry to hear that . Sometimes , this will bring on an even better offer . Just hang in there buddy , and I know .. you do that real well . Good luck and hope you don't have to wait too long for something to come along .

brett

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 08:46:41 am »
Not tried QQ but on MSN sometimes there is bad audio.

Skype is worth a go as well - sometimes it gets a better connection depending on who called who.

Offline Norb Smith

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 12:34:05 pm »
Mike I dont know if this will help, but when we set up webcams and video, I use Yahoo, and I get both at the same time, and so far I havent had any problems, just thought I would let you know but have to admit that sometimes the voice does disconnect and have to recall it, just thought I would let you know

Norb
To have good neighbors, you need to be a good neighbor

David5o

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:33 pm »
Mike,

I'm a little puzzled, with your qq/cam problem. Japan, and especially Tokyo, has excellent DNS services, and unlike China, i've never had any problems that you are having when talking to friend there. If anything, it's my system that plays up, not his!!  haha!!

I use all three systems, MSN, Yahoo, and QQ. I always found the former two systems to be superior to QQ, but that's just my experience. Mike, i suggest that you ask Jessica's daughter to download Yahoo messenger on her netbook, at least you will then have an alternative system if one is not performing too well. Nothing to stop you having both systems running at the same time either, done that real often in the past.

David.....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:48:54 pm by David5o »

Offline maxx

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 06:44:36 pm »
My wife has ben having the same problem with QQ for about 2 weeks now.She has tried everything even downloading QQ again.Still no audio one time no video the next time.

Skype seems to work ok.Yahoo messanger doesn't work at all in central China.No Idea why.It will work in the south of China and the north of China but not central China.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:46:57 pm by maxx »

David5o

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 07:00:50 pm »
Maxx,

What do you call Central China?? Can you name the cities you've found where it doesn't work??

David....

Offline maxx

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 07:04:06 pm »
JiuJang, Nanching,Lou shaun. JiuJiang is right along the Yangtze river.Lou shaun is south east of JiuJiang in the monutains.And Nanching is straight south of JiuJiang.Sorry I keep forgetting Jianxia province
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:08:26 pm by maxx »

David5o

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 07:38:55 pm »
Maxx,

Don't know about the other Areas you mentioned, but Lucy has no problem with using Yahoo messenger talking/caming the Nanching area. Obviously, you always get some problems at different times, so she normally has QQ running in the background that she will use as a back -up. But that goes for all areas in China when we have problems. I very rarely use QQ, i prefer Yahoo and MSN, and MSN has the Tbot translator incorporated in the IM.

Maybe, it's an American thing, i mean the problems some of you are having with the IM's, After all Mikes Jessica is in Tokyo Japan right now..... And that's a top notch DNS system they have there??

David....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:39:23 pm by David5o »

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 08:25:30 pm »
Mike the best of luck with that mate hope everything goes well for you:icon_biggrin:

Offline Bob

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 09:17:40 pm »
Mike, My wife and I have been using MSN Messenger for a year now, with virtually no problems , just sometimes the connection is slow,,so we cut the video for one minute, then reconnect, this only happens at the beginning of the call. My wife has purchased a TABLET with pen, she writes in Chinese using the TABLET that is plugged directly into the USB connector on her computer. I am also using Google translate, I receive her message and write back to her in Chinese, this takes very little time, less then a minute.  I also am running with 2 monitors simultaneously, the monitor on my laptop, and a second monitor that hooked up to the laptops extra VGA output, I drag the MSN Messenger window over to the second monitor, and us the laptop monitor for Google translate, and I do the same as you, once I write my message I simply copy and paste it into the Messenger window and hit enter , this really works well, perhaps this is an option you can look into. There are several advantages of doing this way, 1) it is simple to do, 2) We are in constant video mode, so we can see each other at all times while we write to each other. 3) I do not have to have 2 small windows opened on the same monitor, One Maximized window is open (Google translate) on the laptop, and put the second monitor I have one Maximized MSN Messenger window opened, with the video. 4) Since there is no Chinese keyboard, using the TABLET makes it so much easier for your lady to simply write in Chinese and hit "send", so much faster and very easy for her to do, almost no computer skills required on the ladies part. She will appreciate this and will be less of a hassle for her to learn. My wife also did not have any computer skills before, however using this method made it very easy for her and I to communicate, and she found it was less tiring and much less frustrating for her to do. She actually prefers writing using the TABLET then trying to figure out how to use an English keyboard. :icon_biggrin: My wife is just using her laptop screen with MSN Messenger, this is enough since she has no translation to do on her part, she writes and recieves everything in Chinese via the MSN messenger screen. This method can also be done using Yahoo or other similar programs.

note: to use 2 monitors at the same time, you must enable second monitor option in the parameters, for those of you that may not know how to do this here is a simple explanation on how to,,first my laptop is running Windows Vista, if you are still using Windows XP, it is very similar in the setup menu,

follow these steps,,,point the mouse anywhere in a BLANK area on the desktop, right click on the mouse, a little window will appear, at the very bottom of this small window you will see the word "Personalize", select this option, left click mouse) now another window has opened, at the very bottom of this new window you will see the word "Display settings", left click mouse on this option. Now another window has opened, this is where you do everything, you have several options here, make sure your second monitor is hooked up at this point, make sure the box marked "Extend the desktop onto this monitor" is checked. you will also see the number "1" and number "2" screens, you have the option of dragging them side by side or one on top and one on the bottom, line them up according to where you have your second monitor placed on your table, example: if you have your second monitor to the left of your main monitor (the first one) then drag the number "2" to the left side of number "1", this way when you move your mouse to the LEFT side in will automatically go onto the second monitor.

What I have done is installed my second monitor just above my laptop monitor (I just put something under the second LCD monitor to lift it higher then my laptop monitor), number "2" monitor is the top one, and number "1" monitor is my main laptop monitor, I find this the best way, because I can see my beautiful wife just above my laptop while we write to each other, works like a charm. I have attached a photo here to show you my set-up. Sorry the picture is dark. Like I said, perhaps this is an option worth looking into that you may find useful, hope this will help you or any of the other brothers here.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:59:10 pm by Bob »

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 09:26:10 pm »
Nina and I type in our own languages and translate what we receive.  I'm starting to recognize a few characters and I'm sure she's recognizing some English words as well.  I use MDBG instead of Google translate because MDBG also shows the Chinese characters and all the possible meanings.  If I run into a phrase or sentence that doesn't look right, I can look at the different combinations and figure out what she's trying to say.  It's amazing how well we connect this way.  We rarely have bad translations.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Bob

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 09:48:23 pm »
Mike, I did not have the chance to finish writing my previous post when you last wrote(posted) here, please take a look at my previous post on this thread, perhaps this is an alternative you may be interested in.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:59:37 pm by Bob »

Vince G

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 11:55:20 pm »
Bob, two monitors? Couldn't you just open 2 windows and toggle forward and back? one behind the other? I do this all the time.

Offline Bob

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2009, 12:07:52 am »
Vince, Yes, I could do that, but I had the second monitor already, so I decided to put it to use, also, I did not want to have two windows to toggle back and forth to all the time, (my personal preference.)  besides LCD monitors are really inexpensive now, or if someone has a second monitor just sitting around the house somewhere they aren't using at the moment, then they can try this and see if it suites there needs,  just a suggestion.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:28:14 am by Bob »