Author Topic: Lady's ages  (Read 2111 times)

brett

Lady's ages
« on: September 12, 2009, 04:50:01 am »
OK I'm confused. I have re-read my lady's profile. My lady is born in Nov 1979. But her chnlove profile says she is 30. So theoretically when she celebrates her birthday in November I thought she would be 31. So maybe my lady is only 29 now :huh:?

Ouch I am confused. I am aware the Chinese count their ages differently, is this  what's going on?

In which case, if my lady (er, girl?) is 30 then perhaps she might not celebrate this birthday?

But if my lady is younger than she is then I am happy! There is a very hot Chinese women in work (but married :@), and I found out she is 45!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
RE: Lady's ages
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 05:17:19 am »
Brett I believe that they count their ages from the Chinese New Year.  Everyones age goes up 1 year on the same day.  Whereas I remove 1 year from mine every birthday.  

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

David5o

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 05:54:43 am »
Like many South East Asian countries, they say that when the baby s born, they are 1 year old. I can't say that I've heard of the Chinese new year thing, but it might well be a local custom in that province/area.
Whatever way they add this extra year, there official age is that of any other country, ....from the day they were born. Bloody confusing at times, MM, had the same sort of problem trying to understand how old Mary was while she was still in the hospital.... I've had the same problems at interviews i've been conducting in China, when they have one age on there resume and another on professional licences...

David....

shaun

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 06:16:31 am »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='16378' dateline='1252747039'

Brett I believe that they count their ages from the Chinese New Year.  Everyones age goes up 1 year on the same day.  Whereas I remove 1 year from mine every birthday.  

Willy

And you're still older than dirt? :huh::huh::huh:

Offline Jadams79

• http://www.myspace.com/norric_mitori
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:33:11 am »
The website automatically puts the age forward at new years. I do not know if this is a custom or a retarded data base error.
Can't fix stupid.

Offline David

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 07:16:01 pm »
Actually most Chinese people have two birthdays... they have a lunar birthday and a solar birthday.  When Anna explains it too me it is very confusing.  Her parents tend to consider their lunar birthday the main birthday and celebrate more on that day.  Anna and her sister tend to consider their solar (or actual day of birth) to be the main birthday.  I believe most younger people put more importance on the solar birthday.

Big Dave

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 08:38:11 am »
My wife celebrates both birthdays.  She will not add years on both but wants presents on both. lol.  They have ways of finding more holidays than any other country I have any knowledge of.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

brett

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 10:13:51 am »
Two birthdays? Wtf?

Incidentally, I read that some birthdays are not celebrated (like the lady's 30th, the man's 40th). Both are looming for us, so is there any truth in this? I guess my lady will want something for her 30th, even though she might not be celebrating it :dodgy:.

David5o

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 10:26:19 am »
Maybe, but I've never heard of it!! I can understand the ladies 30th birthday if she's not married, cause then she'll be officially (according to Chinese men anyway) Over The Hill, Too Old, Unacceptable Wife Material....
hahaha!!  Some Custom and Culture to live in, ...What!!!!

Still, we can't grumble, ...all the more for the Western man to  choose from!! ...hahaha!!

David....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 10:26:35 am by David5o »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 12:55:58 am »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='17874' dateline='1253801631'

Two birthdays? Wtf?

Incidentally, I read that some birthdays are not celebrated (like the lady's 30th, the man's 40th). Both are looming for us, so is there any truth in this? I guess my lady will want something for her 30th, even though she might not be celebrating it :dodgy:.

I've no doubt you will be giving her something special on her 30th.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

brett

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 05:57:10 am »
I'd better post it soon - the last present I sent by airmail took 2 weeks from the UK!!!