Author Topic: Sichuan Hotpot  (Read 4284 times)

shaun

RE: Sichuan Hotpot
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 10:01:24 am »
If God told me I could only eat food from two different nations for the rest of my life my choices would be Chinese and Mexican.

Love that hot stuff.  Don't much care for the second time it burns though.

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 06:47:55 pm »
David, don't go to Fujian then, every thing my wife cooks is spicy HOT.

Shaun, I know what you mean about the second time burn or the one at the exit for that matter.
Man there is some good eating, the hotter the food the better.

David, I like sweet Kimchi, and I love wasabi, and sometimes I like to eat things that the wusses eat ( Nonspicy ) :icon_cheesygrin:
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 07:26:43 pm »
To make a hot spicy dish....

Take 60 small red chilies...the ones the Thais call "Tom Thumb"...the hottest in the world.

Wearing latex gloves and a face mask...VERY essential, whatever you touch after handling them with bare hands will BURN (ouch in private places )...remove all the seeds...keep them.

Discard the red outer pulp.

Shallow, dry fry the seeds only until roasted...dont breathe during this process or you will cough for 4 days !!

Grind the roasted seeds and use as the base for Korean Bulgogi paste...

Heaven :):):)

ps...David50...dont the Poms regard the height of spicy food as putting some vinegar on fish and chips ?????? (haha...just joking)

DavidE

Offline Buzz

• XiuRu Zhang
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 08:45:19 pm »
Quote from: 'MLM' pid='17925' dateline='1253832475'

David, don't go to Fujian then, every thing my wife cooks is spicy HOT.

David, I like sweet Kimchi, and I love wasabi, and sometimes I like to eat things that the wusses eat ( Nonspicy ) :icon_cheesygrin:

David, you sound so tough in the letters, and now you are just letting us all down with your soft weak stomach.  I will have to take time to recover from this revelation.  

After having been in Japan for 4 years, I also like Kimchi, wasabi, sushi, all of course with a good Sapporo Beer.  I think one of the deal breakers with XiuRu was in her second letter when she asked if I knew what Kimchi was and if so do I like it.  Yes to both and we are still talking.  

Buzz

David5o

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 09:15:21 pm »
Buzz,

Don't let the fact that i don't hot spicy foods fool you, i'm still tough as old nails!! ...haha!!

As  for the Kimchi, your all very welcome to the stuff, just don't come breathing anywhere near me. God how any westerner can eat fermented pickled cabbage i will never know!!
I suppose after eating that green paste, it wouldn't matter what you ate, cause you sure ain't gonna taste it ...hahaha!!!

David...

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 09:49:28 pm »
David, have you ever seen a Korean person bothered by mosquitoes ?, no, do you know why?, its because of the Kimchi, they don't like the smell either, hell even I don't like the smell but it tastes good.:icon_biggrin:
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

shaun

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 05:26:55 am »
Guy's,

I am easy to spot in a Mexican restaurant. I am the guy with a fork in my left hand and a white towel in my right.  Beads of sweat breaking out on the top of my head and if my children are with me they are laughing at me.  It may look silly but I don't care I am in hog heaven eating the hot stuff loving it.

I imagine the first time Pinky sees me eat hot food would be in her restaurant.  I will break out in a sweat and she will wonder what is wrong.  Should I play it like someting is wrong or should I laugh and grab a towel?  That will be a fun evening.

Shaun

I wonder if they have good Mexican Restaurants in Changsha?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 05:27:38 am by shaun »

Vince G

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 09:12:56 am »
You guys are all nuts? Why put yourselves through with something that burns when it's going in, sits in the stomach giving pain and has the same burn going out?

shaun

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 10:49:51 am »
Vince,

I don't experience the pain in my stomach.  For me it is a way of life.  I have been eating hot food since childhood.  Growing up on the border between the US and Mexico we had live in maids.  They cooked and cleaned while mom and dad worked.  The burn going out doesn't happen unless you eat seeds.  Seeds burn! not quite as bad but they burn.  Do you remember the Cheech and Chong routine about this and church back in the 70's?

Just thinking about 35 years later it makes me laugh.

Shaun

shaun

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 11:57:12 am »
Mike,

The further you get away from Mexico the stranger things get.  My mother lives in Oklahoma just south of Tulsa and one of the Mexican Restaurant also has Italian and Chinese.

My favorite Mexican dish is Charo.  Oops I mean Chile Relleno.  It is muy bueno!!!  It is a long green chile split open stuffed with cheese sometime ground beef to and fried in a egg and flour batter.  My mouth is watering right now!!!!!

Several years ago back in the stone age I went to a Pizza and Mexican restaurant and saw they had them there so I ordered a plate of them.  Jalapenos wrapped in a corn tortilla with red pizza sauce on it.  The worst thing I have ever tasted.  I can't imagine one being in China but it would be fun to look and try. :icon_cheesygrin:

Maybe I should open a Mexican Restaurant there!!!!!

Shaun

David5o

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2009, 12:53:05 pm »
I think you can probably find a restaurant of most nationalities in Shanghai and Beijing if you look for them.
In others areas of China it will depend how big the city is and what sort of overseas tourist industry they have. Remember that China's tourist industry is growing all the time, and if there is one thing the Chinese are adept at, is seeing business opportunities.... hahaha!!

There are certainly English/American type restaurants in most major and minor cities... Thank god!!!  lol!!

David....

brett

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2009, 01:11:16 pm »
Beijing or Shanghai will be stuffed with Western restaurants. Hell, even Yichang has a Pizza Hut now.

McDonalds are everywhere on the planet, but they usually do a few local specialities.

While I was in Tokyo's Akihabara district last year I noticed that a couple of Turkish guys had opened a kebab place, I thought that was pretty cool.

Asians seem very fond of Italian cuisine - the ladies love it.