Author Topic: Wuhan your thoughts  (Read 1543 times)

mEloOk

Wuhan your thoughts
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:49:16 pm »
Hi   What do you guys think of the women in Wuhan? I have been talking to a lady there and I want to know about this place. I am thinking about going there. What are the good places to stay?  Any and all recommendations will be considered. Thanks!

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
RE: Wuhan your thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 01:22:35 am »
I think you should start by going to Bretts thread - that gives a good insight into Wuhan - his thread is named 'Hubei Province'

He has said more about this place than anyone else.  Good and bad.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Danny

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 08:38:29 am »
MeLook

I am going to Wuhan in December and I'm going to be staying in the Wuhan Mellow Commercial Hotel. Two stars and twenty dollars a night. It was built a year ago and it's a real good deal.

http://www.sinohotel.com/english/hotelinfo/Wuhan_Mellow_Commercial_Hotel.html

I spent a few days in Wuhan in September and I had a complete blast. I love the place. But that could just be the company I was keeping *smiles*

Don't even think about visiting in summer. It's damn hot.

It's not an easy city to be a stranger in. It's not really set up for foreigners like Beijing, Shanghai, or the cities in the south.

I cannot wait to go back.

Danny
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:39:02 am by Danny »

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 08:02:41 pm »
Melook, My wife is from Wuhan.  We were there in August.  I thought it was just ok.  We stayed in the Holiday Inn on the Yangtze River.  Beautiful hotel.  5 star hotel, so it is a bit pricey unless you can get a break.  There are actually three cities in Wuhan.  My brother in law is on the police force there as a detective.  The river walk along the Yangtze is gorgeous, especially at night.  All the people get out and have all sorts of activities there. There is a large lake, I think it is in the Eastern part of the city.  There is also a street set aside for just walking and musicians go from table to table to play all sorts of old songs.  But make sure you negotiate in advance or they will gouge you.  Good food and the fruit has amazing taste there.  The best in the country, I think.  The airport is a ways from the city.  The train station is very large and the bullet train runs from there.  I think Brett can probably give you the best information on it.  I was there just for my wedding and family so we did not do a lot of sightseeing.  Plus in August it was hot hot hot.  Good luck to you.  If you have problems there just get in touch with me.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

brett

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 12:32:08 am »
My god. What can I say about Wuhan. Opposite the hotel was a shopping mall even I couldn't afford to shop in, around the corner were women shining shoes for 2 yuan a go. The street leading to Hankou station had chickens roaming. This is new China at it's rawest, most exciting. The place is filthy, dangerous, noisy but exciting. Take plenty of immodium!!! Also be extremely streetwise as the place is a deathtrap, from the traffic to the bad taxis to the crap all over the pavements. I think Havana (crumbling buildings) crossed with India (the chaos) is a good approximation of what Wuhan is like.

If this is your first visit to Asia you will just be stunned. Actually, after being to Hong Kong and Japan I was still stunned.

Don't plan on doing much in Wuhan on your own, I couldn't find an English map and there are few tourist attractions. The Zoo is a good place to take your lady, as is the Yellow Crane Tower.

Wuhan is much bigger than you think it will be. The place is vast. You will have to use taxis. The subway isn't built yet and buses have no English instructions.

When I was on my own in Wuhan I just wandered around with my camera, taking photos of street life.

I stayed at the 5 star Xin Novotel, it was very nice. The best thing is that it was next to Wuhan's tallest building so I could wander around and always find my way back. I would not book a cheap hotel in Wuhan - my lady stayed at a 3 star hotel for one night and that looked dodgy enough!

There is little English signage around.

The airport is OK but make damned sure you get an official taxi from the official dispatch place outside the terminal building. My ride to the centre cost 100 yuan, which sounded reasonable. I got the hotel shuttle back which was 400 yuan but I left very early in the morning and the roads were a foggy deathtrap so it was money well spent.

Oh and make damn sure you have the chinese name and address of your hotel in your wallet or you're in big trouble if you get lost!

As to the women, my lady is right in that they are so-so. But obviously in any city there are good and bad looking women. Compared to her home city of Yichang they were so-so. That much was obvious. Wow, the Yichang ladies were just incredible. Being nearer to Sichuan helps. The best looking women are in Sichuan province. Everyone in China knows that :icon_cheesygrin:.

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 12:18:48 pm »
I did not think the ladies of Wuhan were that gorgeous either. Except for my wife of course.   I had come from Beijing where about 70% were from really cute to downright beautiful.
There are shops all over the place. I saw some even in an old bomb shelter under a railroad track.  I read an article that the government was trying to crack down on unlicensed businesses.  But most officials just look the other way because at least people are trying to make a living and not stealing.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Danny

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 06:14:52 pm »
Jim, I thought that too. I didn't mention it to anyone here at the forum, because I'm no picture myself, but I think there's something to it. In my vast experience (hours trawling through chnlove profiles *laughs*) I reckon Sichuan girls are the best of all. I hope my darling Wuhan woman doesn't read this *laughs*
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 06:16:09 pm by Danny »

mEloOk

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 08:20:55 pm »
thanx guys for all the info. I will be by to read more.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 11:11:57 pm »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='20878' dateline='1256358728'

The airport is OK but make damned sure you get an official taxi from the official dispatch place outside the terminal building. My ride to the centre cost 100 yuan, which sounded reasonable. I got the hotel shuttle back which was 400 yuan but I left very early in the morning and the roads were a foggy deathtrap so it was money well spent.

That must have been one hell of a journey Brett.  I went on a 6 hour coach ride from Zhuhai to Shoaguang and that only cost 260 rmb.

Willy
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:12:35 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

brett

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 06:44:03 am »
Ha ha ha, I arrived in Wuhan after being awake all night and in the middle of a torrential downpour during the evening rushhour. I was just thankful that the taxi driver got me to my hotel. The guy spoke no English, and his Mandarin was a very strange dialect, it was much more like Cantonese. He waved a 100 in front of me and I thought that sounded OK. I couldn't remember the official fare, but I vaguely remember it being 80 or something. Perhaps that was Guangzhou I was thinking of.

It was certainly the best hour's entertainment I've ever bought :icon_cheesygrin:.

Incidentally the 4.5 hour trainride from Wuhan Hankou to Yichang was about 100RMB which was a great deal!