Author Topic: attitude  (Read 3522 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
RE: attitude
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 05:56:56 am »
Just for information.

I went to a Church this afternoon in Zhongshan.   Well this was the third service of the day and it was standing room only for anyone who came less than 15 minutes from the start.

Had to have been more than 700+worshipers there.  Service was all in Mandarin but with an Cantonese translator at the preachers side.  Had a good choir 30 plus and although they were singing in Chinese I knew the songs in English.  (Well I have to know them, I make a good second living from selling these songs.)

All had Bibles in Simplified Chinese and but I was able to follow the lesson as I knew it was the Psalms they were dealing with, even though I could not read the headings as there is only one Book with 90 chapters in it!

All in all a good service with no passing the offering tray round.  If you wanted to give there was a box near the door.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

brett

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 06:13:37 am »
Interesting post Willy.

I am not sure if you can get married in a church in China, but I think my lady would like that. However, the only churches I saw in Yichang were in a bad state of repair, and my lady told me that one was being turned into a bank (well in China capitalism is the new religion I suppose).

There are lots of christian women on chnlove. My lady says she is a Buddhist, but like me I don't think that she is particularly religious. I suspect the southern Chinese are more religious than those from the more northerly provinces, but that's just wild speculation without many facts to back it up.

David5o

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 07:12:08 am »
Danny,

Never a truer set of words...  I've been lucky twice, and both have been totally different, but the common factor always remains the same... You ''know'' that you both care and love each other to bits. Those relationships always last the course.

From what you say in your post Danny, your well on the way to achieving just that!!! All good luck to you, and your future....

David.....

Offline Peter

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 01:16:39 pm »
Thanks Maxx for sharing you wisdom. I can only agree in you writing.
One thing no one have talked about is the superstition that is very big in China. You marry on 9/9 09, you talk to a fortuneteller about your new marriage before you decide what date it will be, you talk to a taoist priest who will tell you about the future... All this is a very big part of China. I can even think that a lady will decide who she would marry after consulting someone about the future. My wife admits that she have done that before she choose to answer my first letters..
One more thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the ladies care a lot of money.. I find this natural because they want to have a good future. Don't believe anything else..

Peter
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Arnold

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 01:27:25 pm »
Thanks Peter for bringing that into the Picture . My Wife , well before we have had the first contact with each other through Chnlove , she had gone to a well known Temple in Shanghai and pray'd for a good Husband ... to come to her soon .
So now , that she has found me and later married me ... she believes even more ... that somebody was listening and answered her plea for a good Husband . Now , this is were I must make sure that I alway's will be just that ! I think , I have the experience to do that ... hands down .:icon_cheesygrin:

brett

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 05:46:18 am »
Well I am not yet certain about the mainland Chinese being that superstitious. I guess some are more superstitious than others, just as some people are into religion and some aren't. I have seen no evidence of my lady being superstitious (she even walked under a ladder while I was there, maybe that's just an English thing). Our Wuhan hotel had a 4th and 14th floor (the Hong Kong hotel I stayed in didn't).

I think she does believe in fate though. And I think taxi drivers are all Buddhists, as they drive as if they expect to get reincarnated.

I'll report more of my findings as I see them.

Offline Danny

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 05:53:44 am »
It sure is a strange place. I know this has been remarked on many times, and so I am not claiming any original insight, but it makes me laugh how they just take bits and pieces from all different religions and philosophical systems, without any regard at all for consistency. Like my darling woman from Wuhan happily prays to Jesus and Buddha at the same time if she thinks it will help. My previous woman, from Zhuhai, was happy to treat Taoism and Buddhism as completely interchangeable, "the same thing," she would say. I also love the taxi drivers from Wuhan, with their Mao icons hanging from the rear view mirror . . . maybe it keeps them safe, maybe not . . . who knows?! *laughs*
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 05:54:54 am by Danny »