Author Topic: My Immigration Experience  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
My Immigration Experience
« on: October 24, 2009, 11:40:48 pm »
I did not want to ambush Bretts Thread so started this one here.

I went through the full marriage and immigration process through to the person receiving UK citizenship.   This was not to a Chinese but to a Nigerian but both nationalities face the same problems in getting into UK.

Although this was a few years ago the process has not changed since.

I will not go into the ins and outs as to how I met the person and for other reasons I will only refer to her as X.

Our adventure started about 60 miles from Lagos where I was working for a period in the music industry.  I me a young woman and we were married in a civil ceremony.  There was about 30 years age difference at that time.   We then had to make the journey into Lagos to attend teh High Commission to obtain the necessary forms.  That in itself was not easy as you have to make an appointment to get the forms.  No downloads were possible and LAGOS is the busiest high commison or embassy in the world.

The papers were obtained and completed.  My advice here is that you must keep every little item that shows you have been together.  Photos especially wedding photos, letters, (in case of China- print out copies of everything sent and received.) keep phone cards, if you post anything get a post office receipt.  Been anywhere together then keep the ticket stubs.  

Take a copy of everything that you are giving to the Embassy so that you have a mirror file of what they have.

Then we had to send then papers via DHL to the Embassy.  Then we waited and waited.  Then they sent an appointment requesting that we both attend the Embassy for an interview in a week or so time.  We both attended the interview and she was first and I was left in a waiting room that held at least 500 applicants that day.  Of course I had the only white face so am well used to people looking at me. Then it was my turn. The questions when in the form of when did we met.  Who introduced us. where was our first date etc.  Just simple questions and ecah one had come from the infomation that we had provided when completing the form.   They take down every question in writing andn then write out every answer given.

You both have to have given identical answers to a high number of the questions.

We were sent outside into the queue and waited for an hour or so and then was called back to be told that they would give a two year visa to her and she entered the UK with me as my spouse.

Then once in the UK we had a joint bank account.  Some of the utilites were in my name and some in hers.  We kept everything that related to us.  We regularly took photos and at teh end of two years we had quite a stack of information and she applied for leave to remain in the UK

It took about one year before we were both again called for an interview and we made our way to Sheffield from London but this time we were the only ones lined up for interview.

The proceedure was much the same.  I went in first and was asked the questioned and each question was written down as was teh answers.  Simple questions. Where was the bedroom clock.  What colour were the walls in the bedroom.  What day was the rubbish bins emptied.  Did we have blue,red or gren top milk. All questions that a couple would have the answer for.

Then a decison was made there and then that she would be given leave to remain.  

Then it was not over she then had to apply for citizenship and more papers and finally a call to come and swear the oath and 6 weeks later she had a uk Passport.

3 years and 2 months following the marriage ceremony.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Scottish_Rob

RE: My Immigration Experience
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 11:57:02 pm »
Bloody hell Willy, are you felling ok today...:icon_confused: This is the longest letter or set of words I have seen you posting.:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin: Except of course when you write those loving Pm's to me :blush: ROFLMAO
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:57:16 pm by Scottish_Rob »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
RE: My Immigration Experience
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 12:14:16 am »
Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='20962' dateline='1256443022'

Bloody hell Willy, are you felling ok today...:icon_confused: This is the longest letter or set of words I have seen you posting.:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin: Except of course when you write those loving Pm's to me :blush: ROFLMAO

Just waiting for the guy to finish fitting my new shower unit.  so I was at a loose end today!:icon_biggrin:  Was going to get an agency translator to write it for me but then it would only have been about 10 words long!!!

Willy
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:20:42 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,