Author Topic: The Hunt for Red October....Shoes  (Read 12903 times)

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
The Hunt for Red October....Shoes
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:04:38 pm »
Well this trip to Magical Dumpling Land start with me down in the dumps :@

I woke up to a major dumping of snow in Calgary on October 14th. The early storm took the city by surprise and the trip to the airport was slow with me checking my watch constantly worried about my checkin time. I would have had a 2 hour layover in San Fransico before conecting my flight to Hong Kong if I arrived on time in San Fran. However, we were kept on the runway in Calgary for 2 hours - not allowed to take off. But not because of Calgary's snow storm :huh: We found out the delay was because the western seaboard had been hit by the remnants of the typhoon that wrecked havoac in the Philippines. San Fransico experienced power faliures that caused them to get back logged recieving new planes.

My plane landed at 1:13 pm and the HK flight was to leave at 12:55. Last December when I was flying with China Air, we were held up at Beijing for an hour because of 8 people connecting from India. With 6 people on my plane also going to HK, I thought that they would hold the plane for us. :@ in fact our HK plane had left early at 12:45. I noticed the trend that many departure flights had left ahead of schedule - probably to free up space at the airport.

I queued in a line to get a transfer ticket and was quickly in the front and assigned a ticket to Shanghai then to HK. The agent confirmed that I had a seat but he was having problems printing the ticket. His counter was for express flights so he said I had to go to the international counter for them to print it out. Well that counter had a long line and after waiting 40 minutes I was at the counter for my ticket. :@ We regrett to inform you that the Shanghai plane took off at 1:33 - Well that explains why the express counter agent could not print my ticket. Finally I was given a new ticket for tomorrow:s

The same flight but leaving tomorrow for HK had standby only so instead I was scheduled to fly to Tokyo and then after a 5 hour layover on to HK. I was given a voucher for reduced rates at recommended hotels but I decided to stay at the airport overnight since with so many other stranded travellers, I figured the hotels were booked. Also I heard that there was a convention in town. San Fransico's airport has almost exclusively seats with armrests on all the chairs that prevents a person to rest vertically. Needless to say being stuck in San Fransico for 22 hours left me feeling down in the dumps.

Well thats it for today's post. I am tired since I returned home 4 hours ago. I will post more updates and more photos from this trip that had other turns and twists for me.

The 1st set of pictures is from the hotel I stayed in for 1 night in HK. I arrived at 23:30 so we decided to not push on to mainland China but wait for the morning.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:09:27 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
RE: The Hunt for Red October....Shoes
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 03:35:30 am »
Welcome back Rhonald :):)

So far, seems a gruelling experience.....Patiently waiting for Episode 2 !!!
Must get better ????

DavidE

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 03:41:17 am »
Yes Rhonald welcome back we missed you rwit on a few things...lol

shaun

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 04:54:23 am »
Welcome back.

Shaun

David5o

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 07:07:56 am »
Rhonald,

They gave you a reduced rate voucher, If this was the airlines fault by leaving ahead of the sheduled time, they should of been laying everything on for you, including a hotel room for the night. I've never heard of aircraft leaving ahead of time, not in all the time i've been flying!!!!

Anyway , glad you made it in the end .....and got back too!! ..lol!!

David.....

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 07:45:08 am »
AND Rhonald..important question?

"DID YOU GET THE SHOES...?????":icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Arnold

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:59:11 am »
No !!! They properly are still stuck in somebody's behind at the Airline Counter . Hahaha

Good to see you back Rhonald . I too , hope everything else turned out better for you .
The third Photo , that is a kind of high Diving board ... better check the depth of that Pool first .
Is that your Sweet wifey looking " Who's there " ?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 09:04:12 am by Arnold »

shaun

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 12:21:11 pm »
Quote from: 'Arnold' pid='21242' dateline='1256734751'

No !!! They properly are still stuck in somebody's behind at the Airline Counter . Hahaha

Good to see you back Rhonald . I too , hope everything else turned out better for you .

The third Photo , that is a kind of high Diving board ... better check the depth of that Pool first .
Is that your Sweet wifey looking " Who's there " ?

Hope that isn't a diving board.  I wouldn't go out on it let alone dive from it. Just looking at the photo gives me the willys.  There he goes again.

Shaun

Offline Peter

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 01:16:46 pm »
I had the same experience in London last time. My flight was to leave at 18.30 but didn't leave until 02.30.. Funny to the only passengers on a big and empty airport. All this because the plane had some troubles with the hydraulic system..
This meant that I was 5 hours late for my connection flight to Changsha in Hong Kong. I had to spend a night on the hotel at the airport but this was paid by Cathay Pacific since I used them for the whole flight. The next flight was the day after at 16.30 so I had breakfast and lunch too before my flight.. Pity the I didn't take the opportunity to visit Hong Kong but I was quite tired.. I can go by train but this will take 3 weeks :icon_biggrin:

Good luck on your trip and it can only get better
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:17:40 pm by Peter »
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 11:10:01 pm »
Good to hear from you Rhonald.  With such an interesting start to your trip, I look forward to reading the rest.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:37:21 pm »
Crossing The Border:

Well I found out that airports are pretty dead in the wee hours of the morning. My plane departed at 11:30 the next morning for Tokyo. I can now claim to have been to Japan, even though just in an airport. I can tell the Japanesse take great pride in their throne room. In the airport wash room the seat for dumping is king size. The hi-tech gadget came with buttons to warm the seat and also the ability-if you dare- to wash your derrière with wash and dry functions. I wonder if the dryer setting has a good blow....function:blush:

The flight on Nippon Air to HK had all pretty stewardesses but of all the airplane food I have ever tried, their meal was the worst I had. At least I got to see the movie The Taking of Pelham123.

My next worry had to do with my entry visa into mainland China. On the visa it had "Enter Before Oct 17th." I was originally slated to land at HK on the 15th - so 2 days should be enough. Now I was slated to arrive on the 16th at 10:45 pm. My plane was arriving late and I finally cleared the airport at 11:35 pm. I did not know if I could still enter on the 17th or if they would say the visa was invalid. It usually takes about 40 to 60 minutes to reach the Shenzhen border. I thought that I didn't have enough time to arrive before midnight so I decided to try the next day. I would have hated arriving just after midnight and been denied just to have to return to HK to apply for a new visa the next day.

The next day we left to reach the border. My wife was foolish in that the shoes she wore to HK were brand new, and never having been broken in, she developed some bad blisters. When we arrived at the border I only had to fill out one flu form compared to 3 times in 50 yards on my last trip in May. The border agent held up my passport and pointed at the date :s I nodded and said I know - I was to arrive sooner but had problems coming from San Fransico. By her expression I think she knew about the delays, and thus she stamped my passport and I was in :icon_cheesygrin:

Sunday was spent meeting with some of her friends that helped plan the wedding as the pictures show. Monday my wife took me to the Hotel I was to spend the night with my friend Guang Han that had been our translator from the agency. The picture shows the room with the see into the bathroom window(sorry my wife asked for the removale of her pic, she complained she didn't lookgood). The room cost $30 Cdn. We also went shopping for our wedding rings, and since I was the groom - my wife took me for some grooming.

[ Thats all for today. My next post here will be of the wedding day and the Hunt For the Red October Shoes - did I get them? or did I get the Boot?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 11:52:24 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Paul Todd

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 12:20:35 am »
Rhonald,

I do hope hats were involved!!!

:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 12:24:57 am »
great reading!

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 09:32:59 pm »
Yes great reading, keep it coming!
Go deep or don't go

rcsingle1

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 11:20:26 pm »
Rhonald,

Good to hear from a fellow Canadian about his adventure in China, and that he's enjoying himself. I look forward to reading more of your updates.
Best of luck to you!!

PS. It'll be my turn in December. I can't wait :icon_cheesygrin:!!