Author Topic: The Hunt for Red October....Shoes  (Read 12901 times)

shaun

RE: The Hunt for Red October....Shoes
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2009, 11:29:59 pm »
1 - 1

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2009, 12:27:32 am »
Scratch off Guilin & a return to Meizhou:

Having the police interview done my wife thinks that soon her visa could come, maybe by next month. She had use up her last visa entrance into Hong Kong to pick me up from the airport. Since she wants to be ready to go to Hong Kong incase of a required interview from the Canadian embassy, she decided for us to go to Meizhou so that she can apply for a new Hong Kong entrance visa.

I had originally been in Meizhou in February when we had to travel there to register our marriage. Even though it has about 1 million people, it feels like a rural town to me. It is in the mountains and the air is clear and fresh. My first visit we did not get to see some of the sites. For this visit we would stay a couple of nights. The plan was first for Yan to settle some business, then after to take a day bus trip to see some sites. The cost for the bus ticket was 100 rmb per person. We travelled back with a lady from Meizhou that Yan calls big sister, even though she is just a good family friend. The trip took about 4 hours and during the ride, I could feel my throat getting the itch that signified to me that I was starting to come down with something.

We arrived mid evening and settled in our hotel. For the first night we had to settle on 2 double beds, but was promised a queen size bed for the next 2 nights. The hotel is the same we stayed in February, and after the 1st night, the next room was next door to our wedding night room. Cost was 180 rmb per night. Before retiring for the evening Yan was howling to try one of the local dishes that Meizhou is known for. When offered to try it, I declined because the thought of the meat gnawed at me. She wolfed down the meat telling me how delicious it was. I just settled for a common bowl of beef and noodles thank you.

The next morning we headed for the government building responsible for passports and visa, but first we stopped at the local back lane market to break our fast (the pictures I have uploaded). While sitting at the government office as Yan filled out the application, I noticed again how much louder the general conversation is in China. The rooms I also notice tend to echo from all the talking. City life in China is loud, whether in Shenzhen, Sanya, or Meizhou. It is not just the traffiic with the horns blaring, but in street conversation and in shop haggiling.

After the government building we headed for the newspaper office so that Yan could put an ad in the paper to sell her property there. Once sold, she will use this money to help her with her relocation to Canada. On the trip to the newspaper office we took a ricksaw for transportation. It was at this time and later that evening I wished that I had taken my camera. After our breakfast I had left the camera at the hotel. From the newspaper office we headed just outside of Meizhou to the country side. Now Yan had been raised from the age of 4 by foster parents. Outside of meizhou was the house that her natural father had lived in before retiring to Hong Kong. Her father was a rice farmer and his original house was in a very enchanting location.

The sun that evening hung suspended as a glowing orb in the red evening dusk. There was a stillness in the air barely disturbed by a chours of crickets chirping in delight. I saw farmers in the near distance working the land. Tranquil and peaceful huts collected along side rice paddy fields. This is the scene that we think of when we imagine China. And I can only recall in memory that which I wish I could have sharred in pictures. I would have needed more than a thousand words to paint the picture I saw that evening and still I would fall short.

That evening we ate at the same place where Yan enjoyed her man's best friend dish once again. We picked up some medicine from a pharmacy for the now sore throat and minor cough I had. I wished I new what products she bought for me, but I was instructed to take 4 pills each from the 2 boxes we purchased. I am sure she was overdosing me on medications. I remember others, like Ed (the sock) mentioning when they got sick and the kitchen sink method the Chinese girls used in order to cure us. Later that night once we had gone to bed, I woke up slightly coughing again. My wife told me to take some more medicine. I asked where they were. She rummaged through her hand bag and gave me one of the boxes. I poped a couple of pills from the blister pack and swallowed them down with some water. As I returned the medicine to her hand bag I caught in the darken room a glimpse of the picture on the box. This was not the medicine we bought today! I went to the washroom with the box and turned on the light. Sure enough this was different medicine. Once again, I am not sure what this medicine was for - But I have a distinct feeling that I won't be suffering from any menstrual cramps this month :s

Stay tuned for the next installment intitled Day Trip and 3 times a trip with no Squat toilet but forth time not the Charm?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:43:20 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2009, 01:30:24 am »
Quote from: 'Rhonald' pid='22414' dateline='1257744452'

But I have a distinct feeling that I won't be suffering from any menstrual cramps this month :s

Hopefully, Ron, there is a fair chance you wont get pregnant either :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Great story again....almost felt I was there myself.....!!!

DavidE

brett

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2009, 06:14:23 am »
Great update Ron. I take it that it is just a formality for our ladies to get Hong Kong visas? I've heard they're expensive though. I want to meet my lady in HK next year so I can gently ease her into Western civilisation (she's not left the motherland before).

And please don't tell me that guy in the middle photo is washing and/or preparing his vegetables in the street :dodgy:!

Arnold

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2009, 09:25:27 am »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='22423' dateline='1257765263'

And please don't tell me that guy in the middle photo is washing and/or preparing his vegetables in the street :dodgy:!

Oh yes , and he is in perfect FORM of the Asian Squat too .:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

shaun

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2009, 06:35:21 pm »

Great update Ron. I take it that it is just a formality for our ladies to get Hong Kong visas? I've heard they're expensive though. I want to meet my lady in HK next year so I can gently ease her into Western civilisation (she's not left the motherland before).

Nope, he did that in the sewer before he got there. :icon_cheesygrin:

Shaun

Offline maxx

« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2009, 07:29:43 pm »
guys you need to stick to the thread.Posting about road kill.Is not even close to the subject matter

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2009, 09:35:46 pm »

It was about 9:30 in the morning and the guy was just setting up to sell vegetables for the day. When we returned to the same street in the evening, the whole lane had vendors selling fruits, vegetables, and crafts. My wife has a cute English word she uses for vegetables. She calls them "rubbage". I think she gets confused and thinks of the word cabage to say vegetables, unless in mandarin rubage is how they say vegetables.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 09:39:02 pm by Rhonald »

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2009, 11:45:23 pm »
Quote from: 'Rhonald' pid='22577' dateline='1257906946'

It was about 9:30 in the morning and the guy was just setting up to sell vegetables for the day. When we returned to the same street in the evening, the whole lane had vendors selling fruits, vegetables, and crafts. My wife has a cute English word she uses for vegetables. She calls them "rubbage". I think she gets confused and thinks of the word cabage to say vegetables, unless in mandarin rubage is how they say vegetables.

Probably stating the obvious, but vegetable is (in general) cai (?) usually with some sort of leading word.  That said, I think your wife could be saying cabbage or possibly ruffage. :)  Cabbage is used extensively in a lot of chinese dishes.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Vince G

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2009, 12:01:53 am »
I recall hearing certain leafed vegi's ruffage? Sounds like roughage. Maybe that's what she's saying?

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2009, 02:25:22 am »
Sorry for the delay in postings from my October trip. With work being busy I did not have the luxury to allow the bard free reign. I also have felt the loss of continuation but will try my best to carry on with my thoughts.

Day trip Bus Tour:

The day before we booked tickets for a bus tour. It cost 98 rmb per person and included a lunch with 3 tourist stops. The bus was to leave at 9:00 am and we arrived just on time. Once on board we spotted only a couple of single seats left. Yan asked an older lady and man if they would sit with each other to allow us to seat together. They declined but a younger couple kindly split up and offered us their seats so I had the company of my Yan beside me. :icon_biggrin:

After an hour trip into the sunny mountains we arrived at or first stop. A museum had been created at the former residency of the famous General Ye Jianying. Inside the museum was posted signs of not taking pictures. Since I did not wish to risk my parole, I obliged. But when I saw the handsome carving of the huge drift wood, I asked for permission and as my 1st pics can attest, I got an agreeable answer. Outside the main museum building the former residency the General stayed in during the Mao years was maintained showing a typical housing unit and private rooms.

Next stop was a Buddist temple where most of the pictures are from. It was here where we also had lunch. A short lunch time magic and stunt routine entertained the guests. The temple had well manicured gardens and beautiful scenery. All the shops along the pathway sold incense to us wandering pilgrams that wondered how to best communicate with our past ancesters. What was that? Did I hear Eddy Murphy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rts7bQCvWkc&feature=related

I did spy a butterfly but never a grasshopper, which I guess reside only at Shaolin temples :s
After lunch we climbed back on board and headed to a famous tea plantation where my trouble became unplugged.

During my time in the army and from many camping trips, I have a tendency to become a little plugged up when in the field. I find this an advantage as not having to brave inclimatic weather with the urge, suits me fine. Now I had been in China for more than a week with no significant movement. Lets just say that when the bus arrived at the tea shop, I started to have severe stomach cramps. I remember being at the temple and seeing some facilities that were the typical squatting variety. Three times to China and never a squat was needed as I had no problems waiting to arrive at the hotel. But this time I knew I was ...excuse my language....shit out of luck. I quickly walked to the end of the tea shop trying to find the relief station. Across the road I saw a possible building and headed there. A man proceeded in front of me and he took a stall. The only other stall was also occupied. At this time my pain was so intense that I started groaning in pain. Rubbing my stomach I tried to ease the aggravation. Man how long does it take for those people to be done. I must have waited for 5 minutes with no sound of either man finishing his business. I was contemplating on heading into the bushes outside when finally the man who had just entered before me left the stall.

Finally...I didn't care anymore, I would take off my pants if need be....but my Butt was finally going to squat. I swung open the door to the stall and Low and behold....a porcelain throne beckoned me :icon_cheesygrin:  With no time to count my blessing, I adopted that most famous Auguste Rodin's pose any Frenchman can recognise as ....The sTinker
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 02:46:28 am by Rhonald »

Arnold

« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2009, 06:50:10 am »
Sorry for the delay in postings from my October trip.
Okay Rhonald , just don't do it again . :icon_cheesygrin:

Ahhh ... running to the World's Courtroom ( WC ) to do important Business . One does come out very enlightened most of the time .

Love the Photo's , very lovely Lady Butterfly . Glad you brought your Net to catch that one .

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2009, 09:44:50 am »
Quote from: 'Arnold' pid='23579' dateline='1258804210'

Love the Photo's , very lovely Lady Butterfly . Glad you brought your Net to catch that one .

Thanks Arnold :icon_biggrin: And what is it with the insect references - Bees and Butterflies - Oh I get it :idea: Once we have our very own Chinese insects....we are insex :sleepy:

And am I hearing right........ Is that the buzzzziiiing of your very own Honey Bee alighting in L.A. today? May the two of you share sweet nectar :heart:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:50:41 am by Rhonald »

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2009, 09:55:31 am »
Great update Rhonald... Very nice pictures...:icon_biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:56:21 am by Scottish_Rob »

ttwjr32

« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2010, 06:25:09 pm »
this is my first reading of this post and it was quite enjoyable
and the pics were great