Author Topic: Fiancee visa for UK  (Read 4617 times)

brett

Fiancee visa for UK
« on: October 28, 2009, 10:20:04 am »
Hi all,

I am still undecided about my lady :huh:. But I am starting to think her idea of getting a fiancee visa is a great one. That way we can see if we genuinely like each other, she gets to check the UK out, then if things are OK we could get married in the UK.

Has anyone gone down this route? If so what kind of timescale is involved? Does it depend on which consulate processes her applications (she is in Hubei Province)? Is it best to get a UK or Chinese company to help you apply?

Thanks!

brett

RE: Fiancee visa for UK
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 12:23:19 pm »
You get 6 months in the UK, which is long enough to decide if we really are good for each other.

I guess the visa is quite easy to obtain, as they can just send the person back again if no marriage happens. Well in theory. In practice our immigration authorities don't seem to be that efficient. It is very expensive though (about £500?) and you must have already have met the person.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:43:36 pm »
In Australia the Fiance visa is as difficult to obtain as a spouse visa. All the same paperwork has to be completed, all the proof of relationship must be provided and a pre-condition is that you must have already met in her home Town.

Also, proof of a booking for a marriage must be provided, but this can be changed ...up to the 9 month limit.

The fiance visa is valid for 9 months and you must be married within that time or she must return to China.

At the time of the marriage, you must again apply for a Temporary Resident visa...and 2 years after that you can apply for a Permanent Resident visa.

The costs, using an approved Migration Agent /Lawyer is about $2,500, plus all the translation fees for all her documents to be translated into English by a Certified Government Translator

DavidE

Offline stuart barlow

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 06:01:29 pm »
ever thought about some kind of work visa,that might be a quicker route,offer a work placement
for 3 months or so,maybe if you can prove she has a job they might let her over.

Offline maxx

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 06:52:24 pm »
Mike sorry man somebody lied to you.Fiancee visa is much quicker and a lot easier to get in the states.Ask Nik and Arnold how long they had to wait and how many hoops they had to jump threw.It took 11 months for my wife to receive her fiancee visa.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 10:53:28 pm »
Brett

Wake up man and listen.  A fiancee visa to the UK is like gold dust.  They are very hard, almost difficult to obtain for an African or Chinese national.  The authorities will send you round in circles and you will get no where.

A visitors visa is valid for six months but she is hardly likely to be granted one of those being a single Chinese lady and even if in the remote chance that she does get one then she will not be able to work in the UK as it is a visitors visa that allows no work.

If she came as a student she could work a few hours every week but then she would have to show that the full years fees had been paid to the University in the UK - a lot of money.

You are getting advice from US and Canadian Citizens - their system does not work in the UK.  Sorry you guys but the UK has the tightest system to get round.   I have been through it and I know.

The chances of her getting to the UK unmarried is very limited.   If it was easy then we would have massive china towns in every town and city in the UK. Why do you think chinese pay thousands of pounds to be shipped into the country illegally.

If she came with a tour party but the tour will have to be for longer than 21 days and she may well get a visitors visa but the moment she applies to be married in the UK on a visitors visa the registrar of the town must notifiy the UK Border Force and they will probably turn up on the day and prevent the marriage taking place.

Chinese and Africans are top of the list of no no's in the Home Offices eyes.

Remember even with a valid visa in her passport the UK Border Force can still prevent any person from entering the UK if they can show just cause.

Get married in China and prove that it is a genuine marriage and you will have to still wait months and months for her to come to Britain as Spouse of Brett -------.      I have known people who were married overseas and were still not given a visa for their wifes.   Some have had to move to a EU country to live and bring the wife in through that way.

Why do you think so many UK Citizens travel to China many times before marrying there.  It's because there is no other way.

Believe me Brett the UK Border Force is becoming more and more efficent and has more powers than the regular police when it comes to detaining people.

Her suggesting the Fiance visa would put severe doubts in my mind.    Alternative is for her to get to Calais and then find a suitable lorry of car to hide and hope she gets through the checks then she will spend all her time in the UK on the run selling counterfeit DVD's in Tesco's car park!!!!

Willy
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 11:05:57 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline maxx

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 12:53:41 am »
Mike you can download the documents that you and your lady will need to fill out.From the immigration web page.type in K1 visa on your search engine it should bring up the government immigration web page.Also I would think about hiring a immigration attorney.They will have all the forums you and Jessica will need.

Quote from: 'mpo4747' pid='21288' dateline='1256778192'

Quote from: 'maxx' pid='21282' dateline='1256770344'

Mike sorry man somebody lied to you.Fiancee visa is much quicker and a lot easier to get in the states.Ask Nik and Arnold how long they had to wait and how many hoops they had to jump threw.It took 11 months for my wife to receive her fiancee visa.

Ok, so I got it wrong .....

Where can I get a finacee visa?

Mike O.

brett

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:35:01 am »
Thanks guys. Please keep this thread for UK discussions only. If you're not in the UK, don't take it personally but you're of no use to me on this one.

I am unsure whether I should go the UK fiance route and get married in the UK, or get married in China first. Thankfully I could easily satify the authorities that I could support her, and our age differences won't draw too much attention, but this is still going to be tough. I work for a University and my goodness the new immigration regulations have made our life difficult.

Is it a good idea to get an immigration lawyer involved at this stage? Or should the lady find one in China?

• Board Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:14:09 am »
Brett you started this thread stating you was unsure about your lady.

Before you go spending thousands on an immigration lawyer and as just a 30 minute consultation cost me£500,  then you really should start thinking staright- Is this lady the one for you or not?  Are you the one for her or not?

This is the question that only you two can answer and you need positive answers of yes from each before you start making decisions on visa applications or lawyers.

Start the proceedure now and it does not go ahead then that will be logged against you on any future application.  

It is not a question of whether you can support her or not - with certain nationalities it is whether if they are let in as a visitor will they do a runner and become an illegal immigrant.   That is why they like you to be married before she enters.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline UK Mark

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 12:51:51 pm »
Hi Brett

Listen to Willy he making a lot of sense , a Fiancee visa sounds great on paper but with our border agency getting tough you are going to have to prove your love before getting your girl into the country, that means marraige.

I am getting married in Shanghai in January .. i will share the ups and downs of the forthcoming visa application when we apply for the spouses visa in the new year.

Best wishes and good luck to all
Dreams can come true

brett

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 01:08:55 pm »
Yes I am still unsure whether financee or spouse visa is the way forward, I need to talk to my lady. I am not sure if my status (good stable job, small business sideline, big house) is more important than my lady's lack of reasons to return to China (lives with parents, so-so job, no property or business assets).

In my favour is the fact that the border agency is up to its neck in poorly conceived points based immigration rules, so its main focus of suspicion is now on bogus students, and not wives/fiancees.

UK Mark, you should be OK, I have done a lot of reading and spouse visas are usually successful. The few unsuccessful cases are normally where the guy doesn't have anywhere decent for his new wife to live.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 04:45:24 pm »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='21608' dateline='1257098935'
Yes I am still unsure whether financee or spouse visa is the way forward, I need to talk to my lady. I am not sure if my status (good stable job, small business sideline, big house) is more important than my lady's lack of reasons to return to China (lives with parents, so-so job, no property or business assets).

Brett I'm pretty certain Irish immigration laws are pretty similar to British ones - our law was written by the Brits when you ran the place! At leasts what my wild eyed law lecturer in university told me !
We also are tied together in Schengen which i believed allowed Hajo to marry his lady and bring her home with him straight away!
I looked into the irish versions of the fiancee visa and it was a night mare, hoop after hoop to jump through.

The financial side was the LEAST of my worries, i can easily prove I can support her. But msn/qq/skype chat..inadmissible..must be hand written letters..what language do you speak together, how many times did you see her before now, how long have you been together....it goes on and on.

The Americans and Canadians can meet and marry first time, and continue to visit and see eachother until the big interview day but we apply and must already have history or its a straight fail, no interview..just fail.

The money stuff just ticks one box, the genuineness has to be proven too. In a nutshell unless i already lived with a lady in China for several months, with joint bank accounts and we both can speak one language well together..its well neigh impossible to get it.

Honestly i don't see the UK being any less stringent.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:48:21 pm by Irishman »
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 11:36:15 pm »
All I wish to say further on this subject is 'Thank the Lord that I am living in China and intend to stay here'.   At least if I ever take my lady back to the UK then it will be on a holiday and that would only be after we have been married for some time.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline mickw

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 04:43:56 pm »
BRETT

Have you considered the visitors visa route, as I told you in past posts and on shout chat, my lady and I secured a 6 months visitors visa last week in approx 6 to 7 weeks from the application being made.

You actually don’t apply at the British Consulate in china ,and there are several each serving a particular area ,ours was in Guangzhou ,with the actual office that was nearest to Linfangs place being in Fuzhou ,is where they take the application papers and all relating documents the embassy require.

Mainly Chinese staff work at the applications offices, and apparently some can be little Hitlers, jobs worth’s, very brash and sometimes overwhelming to the person applying, I told Linfang not to be fazed by them as they were paid by the British government and are civil servants who we indirectly pay via our taxes. They scrutinize all the paperwork and make sure all is correct and everything’s in order before they forward it to the nearest consulate, as I said ours was Guangzhou. For consideration by an entry clearance officer.

You can track the progress of the visa ,but it only says the visa was applied for and the date, most of the time ,so no real joy there ,you know you have the green light when it says the visa has been processed and your passport mailed back to you .

Anyhow I had to supply evidence of my earnings in the form of my last 6 months bank statements, Evidence of savings accounts ,My latest mortgage statement ,copies of the relevant visa pages in my  passport along with the entry stamps pages, a letter of invitation and sponsorship ,which has to state I’m willing to provide accommodation and pay for her flight here and back, pictures to prove we have met ,details of when and how we met ,I copied and sent the first 6 or 7 EMF mails we exchanged via chn love, I don’t have many phone call bills as I tend to use the pre paid cards for £5 ,and mostly were on yahoo chat with webcam ,but if needed I save all our chats there and could print off if required .

Linfang had to provide evidence of her work, and her income, which her boss duly provided, Birth certificate ,family book , her income and evidence of where she worked and how long all had to be translated into English, she’s a doctor there and has worked in the centre for some 20 odd years, Basically they don’t want her disappearing into the Chinese community and possible becoming state dependant, though god knows how they think a Chinese lady in a strange country with only basic English would know where to apply for anything. I did state in my sponsors letter she would be returning back to china, for her work and within the time lapse of the visa so it wouldn’t jeopardize any further visa application we may make in the future.

The visitors visa itself costs around £ 70 ,so with the travel to Fuzhou and the translation costs for her paperwork I sent Linfang £ 200.00 which amply covered everything to apply for the visa .

She has got extended leave for 2 months from the 22 nd of November to the 23 rd of January, so it will be a nice Christmas and new year for us in the UK.

The flight BTW came in at circa £ 540 return from Shanghai, via Doha to Manchester with Qatar airways.

So we did this by ourselves, without expensive visa lawyers and the like .so it’s not impossible to get a visitor visa here, and I did go through the fiancée process in 1997 without a hitch in the Philippines too, although I agree things have become tighter visa wise.Frankly Brett i think your stumbling block will be the length of time you have known your lady whichever route you choose.

Hope this helps

Mike

brett

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 04:28:24 am »
Thanks Mick. That is another one to consider. But my lady is still mulling over my EMF about visas, so I am awaiting her response.