Author Topic: Life in China with Zhen  (Read 8320 times)

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
RE: Life in China with Zhen
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 06:34:03 pm »
Great Brian. Hope for us all. i know you will do well.  Are you settling into your daily life?  How does Zhen handle the time lag before heading to Canada?
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline daghoi

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 04:21:26 am »
Quote from: 'Brian Mc' pid='22832' dateline='1258203906'

So for anyone who does not have english as your primary language it seems it is still possible to teach here.

Hi !

Coming from Norway i had pretty much given up this as an option. Looks like i still can keep it open :)

Some time in the future though...

Cheers

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2009, 09:07:51 am »
Brin you will never know how much confidence you ahve given me by your leap of faith.

In am interested to know th estuff ypour teaching.

Today I recieved an email telling me that this school in Qingdao (where i am) wants me to do a days teaching, 9which I am willing to do).. I will hear about it all tomorrow when alice phones me.

Best of lusk to you and yours mate../..

Offline Brian Mc

• Zhen Li
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2009, 09:29:00 am »
Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='22993' dateline='1258380471'

Brin you will never know how much confidence you ahve given me by your leap of faith.

In am interested to know th estuff ypour teaching.

Today I recieved an email telling me that this school in Qingdao (where i am) wants me to do a days teaching, 9which I am willing to do).. I will hear about it all tomorrow when alice phones me.

Best of lusk to you and yours mate../..

Hiya Rob,

My first few days at work I taught what they call and english corner or demo class.  This is basically to see if I can actually do what they need me to do.  So for my first one I basically told them about Canada and some of the differences between there and China.

The second class I did I spoke about weather.  Being that I am trained as a Meteorological technician it was an easy subject to teach.  I was a bit worried that it might be difficult for them to understand based on limited english and I kept the words and ideas as simple as possible but they ate it up and the hour passed so fast they had to tell me the time was up because I didnt even notice.  They also kept me after class for 45 minutes just chatting which apparently means they like how or what you have to say, so I think I have been accepted by the students at least.

Today I gave another english corner on Marriage and the different customs between countries since we all here know quite a bit about that.
I was also supposed to start teaching regular classes but today it snowed all day so most students stayed at home so I did not get to teach and I am off tomorrow and wednesday.

So all in all Zhen and I have settled into our new life quite nicely and I am settling into the school also quite nicely, so it appears my great gamble has paid off.  I have a job, an apartment, and the love of my life at my side, and I even get paid for it so what more could I possibly ask for?

I wish you luck on your adventure I am sure you will do fine.  Besides you could always teach a class about being a jockey.  I am sure that is something they will never have heard about before.  Speaking of Jockeys did you ever meet Willy Shumaker?  It seems to me I remember meeting him when I worked at the woodbine Racetrack in Toronto Canada back in the 1970's but perhaps I am mistaken.

Anyway good luck and keep the updates coming.

Sincerely,

Zhen and Brian

Offline zook144

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 09:21:01 pm »
Brian,
How are things going? Haven't heard a peep out of you. Are you snowed in?
Any updates?
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

rockycoon

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 10:46:54 pm »
Wonderful story, I enjoyed reading it. Keep it coming and best of luck to the both of you, she is a very pretty lady.

ttwjr32

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 06:04:25 pm »
Brian,

havent seen a post by you for a while and was wondering how
everything is going there? im sure it fine. how did the school do
in regard to your visa? the school i went to and turned down
because they couldnt get me the proper visa did not pay me for
the 2 classes i taught that day because they were short of teachers
they dont return my calls nor my emails. its only 170 rmb but at least it
tells me what type of school they are. they do have a lot of bad reviews
on teachers corner so i guess there is some truth in those reviews.