Author Topic: My chances as asian male raised in Canada?  (Read 2534 times)

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
My chances as asian male raised in Canada?
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:44:33 am »
Okay, I'll start with a bit about myself. I am Chinese by birth but moved to Canada when I was relatively young (8 years old). Most of my values are western but I do have some Chinese values.

I can speak and understand standard Mandarin but cannot read and write. By standard Mandarin I mean I can understand everyday conversation, but I miss a lot of Chinese colloquialism. I would rate myself an S-3 to possibly a low level S-4 on the LRR language scale  http://www.sil.org/LinguaLinks/LanguageLearning/MangngYrLnggLrnngPrgrm/TheILRFSIProficiencyScale.htm in Mandarin. I'm fully fluent in English and learning French.

I am looking for some guidance, advice and opinion on how someone of my status would do there. Most of the people here are British, Canadian, European, American born. If anyone is Chinese and have experience, please reply.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:51:58 am by RegnisTheGreat »

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
RE: My chances as asian male raised in Canada?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 11:47:08 am »
First of all, welcome RegnisTheGreat, I think you'll do just fine.

Chong I suppose is our resident expert here on this regard and should be able to give you some pointers
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Chong

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 11:56:39 am »
As you can speak basic Mandarin, you're already ONE GIANT STEP above everybody else.

It doesn't matter what race/nationality you're. Just go through the Forum subject indexes for specific advices regarding developing a long distance relationship and regarding navigating the Chnlove system.

I'm a Chinese-Canadian also. Thankfully, I met Sunny who's from Kaiping. We both converse in Taishanese. I can't read or write Taishanese.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:58:00 am by Chong »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 12:05:57 pm »
Great...now we are getting over run by Chinese Canadians.  I thought it was bad enough when we just had Chong.  Just kidding.

There are 3 or 4 Chinese Canadians here, so you have come to the right place.

Offline heckerd

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 01:56:45 pm »
I'm a Chinese Canadian born and came to Canada at 5.  Don't worry about being able to read or write. Since you able to speak Mandarin , settle on girl(s)  your intersted in and get her phone number,  MNS, QQ, Yahoo Messenger etc. asap to talk to her by webcam or phone. Your relationship will develop more quickly and efficiently. Race or color of your skin won't matter to them but some who had bad experience with Chinese men might be hesitant. They will probably look beyond that since you grew up in a Western culture.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 02:06:13 pm »
I am not Chinese but I am half asian as in Cauc-Asian :sleepy:
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

shaun

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 10:24:39 pm »
Ron,

If I hand not been at work I might have beat you to that comment.  Excellent one!

Shaun

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:56:52 pm »
Quote from: 'RegnisTheGreat' pid='22232' dateline='1257612273'

Okay, I'll start with a bit about myself. I am Chinese by birth but moved to Canada when I was relatively young (8 years old). Most of my values are western but I do have some Chinese values.

I can speak and understand standard Mandarin but cannot read and write. By standard Mandarin I mean I can understand everyday conversation, but I miss a lot of Chinese colloquialism. I would rate myself an S-3 to possibly a low level S-4 on the LRR language scale  http://www.sil.org/LinguaLinks/LanguageLearning/MangngYrLnggLrnngPrgrm/TheILRFSIProficiencyScale.htm in Mandarin. I'm fully fluent in English and learning French.

I am looking for some guidance, advice and opinion on how someone of my status would do there. Most of the people here are British, Canadian, European, American born. If anyone is Chinese and have experience, please reply.

Hi there!  Welcome to the forums!

There's a few of us Chinese-Canadians here.  And we all have vastly different backgrounds.  But as some of the others have said, if you can speak Mandarin, you're already ahead.  I have found that many of the women will be very receptive if you can show them that you have knowledge of their traditions and have integrated it into your... traditions (for lack of a better term) as well.

But the best guidance anyone will give you is be yourself and be honest with the ladies that you choose to talk to.  Remember that you are selling yourself and if you make yourself out to be something you're not, you're going to only harm each other in the end.  The other thing you should do, read this forum and follow Maxx's rule (at least 24 hours before you do something...sort of a cooldown and ponder period).
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 10:23:25 pm »
Thanks for all the positive comments everyone. As I said I'm originally from Shanghai. I studied 3 years of elementary in China before I left, but thanks to my parents who made me speak Mandarin at home I'm quite good at it. I do have a lot of Chinese traditions and cultural values, which I think is partly why I'm not very successful dating here. I'm hoping those who had bad experience with Chinese men will look at me and realized that I'm not 100% Chinese, I'm 60% canadian.

I do love the Chinese holidays though. Spring festival was the best as a kid. Its like Christmas but even easier. You go around and wish everyone fortune and good health and they give you money. I loved it as a kid and it was my favorite holiday. After I moved to Canada it was Christmas and Halloween (seriously, you go around and people give you candy! who would've imagined such a thing).

Chong Just go through the Forum subject indexes for specific advices regarding developing a long distance relationship and regarding navigating the Chnlove system. -- is there a specific thread for that (I'm not able to find one). Or do you mean the forums in general?

mustfocus I've always been honest with woman in regards to what I want. Kinky wife and 8 kids :). (Joking). Nah, I'm just looking for a woman to love and who will love me back and eventually have 1-3 kids. Someone who will help support the family and work here too. Eventually when I retire I'll move back to China (cheap maid ftw! -- seriously you can get a maid to come in cook/clean in Beijing for 1200-1500RMB for 8 hours  a day).
Oh, and if anyone has any Chinese cultural questions or such feel free to message me or email me. I will do my best to help (and I have a few Chinese friends).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 10:24:34 pm by RegnisTheGreat »

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 10:48:02 pm »
Well, before we get to the retirement part, I think we should start simple and find someone first. :)

What type of information are you looking for?  This forum is a wealth of information, but you have to dig and rummage around here to find it.  There is no real handbook that anyone can give you on what to do about finding a woman or long distance relationships.  But if you persevere, you should find what you're looking for.

So what part of Canada are you in?
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 11:03:14 pm »
I was looking for the guides that Chong mentioned, but no luck.

And I'm in the capital, Ottawa. I think Martin isn't far from me somewhere in Ontario based on what I read.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 11:31:07 pm »
Quote from: 'RegnisTheGreat' pid='22399' dateline='1257739394'

And I'm in the capital, Ottawa. I think Martin isn't far from me somewhere in Ontario based on what I read.

He's quite a distance from you (as well as for the most of us).

As for any guides, this whole site could be considered a guide. :)  It's full of people's experiences, successes and failures.  Best to study it and see where it takes you.  We're not the ones who are going to test you though.  We're just here to help each other.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Chong

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2009, 09:56:56 am »
Quote from: 'RegnisTheGreat' pid='22399' dateline='1257739394'

Yes, I meant the Forum, in general.

Also, we started on FaceBook in Dec '08. There are lots of great info on that site. Search for "ChnLove" on FaceBook. Once there. look for the "Summary of Indexes"