Author Topic: I think I need help!  (Read 6747 times)

Offline IrishGuy65

Re: I think I need help!
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2013, 09:24:08 am »

Maybe we should not be revealing that you all have never old cars that need a lot of maintenance.  Any Chinese women reading this will think all foreigners are as poor as church mice.

Haha... maybe that is a good thing and will reduce the expectations many have.  100,000 rmb dowry?  I can't get past that thread.  ;)
I-129F Delivered: 9/26/13
NOA-1 Received: 10/1/13
Request for evidence: 11/13/13
RFE evidence received by USCIS: 11/29/13
Approval of petition (online): 12/17/13
NOA-2 Received: 12/24/13
Lisa received letter from Guangzhou: 1/14/13
Interview on 2/25/14.  Visas approved.
Visas picked up on 3/5/14.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2013, 04:43:06 am »
Had my first drive around the back streets of the old town of Zhongshan this morning.  Those streets sure look wider when you are walking them!  But managed to get through without any get togethers.

Went out again this afternoon and found another selection of back lanes. Got more confident this time as I did the whole of the journey with my eyes open, well most of the time.

On the back roads, pedestrians and bikes are the major problem. The wider roads, no problems other than they are full of Chinese drivers and you just cannot anticipate what they may do next without ant signal. However as a driver you become more aware of the bikes and motor bikes and those mechanised rickshaws traveling towards you against the flow of traffic.

I get a break tonight as my wife wants me to take her out for her first drive in the new wheels.  I am beginning to wonder why we bought such a large car?  No only that why did we bought one with a passenger seat!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline brett

• Man Goes to China
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 08:44:20 am »
Well if you ever get this far up remember to keep switching lanes as much as you can.

Bus journeys here are so exciting with so many U-bends and blind corners. There are also couple of routes where we have to cross a couple of lanes of traffic to get to the flyover - that's really exciting  :D.

I keep seeing new acts of stupidity - tonight it was a kid cycling down Baiyun's 8 lane main freeway. What made it worse was that the kid was cycling the wrong way, had no lights on his bike and he also had stabilising wheels on the back.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 09:22:20 pm »
Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later. The new car received its first minor interaction with another vehicle yesterday.  :'(

My wife was driving and someone in town decided to overtake in a newly narrowed road at the same time she had to move out slightly for a motorised rickshaw.

Result was a broken drivers mirror and a slight scratch to the drivers door.  She said it was not her fault!!! But a look at the video recorded incident taken for the drivers mirror position of our car and I guess it was her fault mostly.  No damage to the other car. 

I guess I was really surprised she went 4 months in China without having any such incident. ;D

Mind you the same day she was on to the garage to get it all put back to how it was.

The video recording is something fitted to the car that I did not know about.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,