Author Topic: General Thread For This and That!!....  (Read 135407 times)

Paul Todd

RE: General Thread For This and That!!....
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:52:23 pm »
Thanks for the kind words guys, I've passed them on and they where much appreciated.

To give you an update, we where at the the hospital last night when we where called to she the surgeon who was, we thought going to operate this morning. Turns out there is only a small hairline fracture but the major damage is to her shoulder which was dislocated in the fall. Because of her age he did not recommend going ahead with the surgery, which I can understand. Instead he thought that putting her arm and shoulder in a removable plastic cast was the best way to go. After about a month she could start into physiotherapy to get movement back and if that was no good then operating was the next step. So that done we brought her home! The look on her face when we told her this was priceless. She slipped right into gear and  told Ming Zhi to bring the car to the front door. I was orded to carry all the stuff down to the car then come back for her. Ming Zhi's daughter was sent to find a wheelchair and she divided the gifts of fruit and other goodies among the the other patients before we set off. It was good to see her back in action. Now Ming zhi's daughter has moved into mama's house full time to take care of her and we all going to spend as much time as possible round there. Fantastic the way families pull together here!

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 01:52:31 am »
That is terrific news Paul , and like you have said in China the family members look after each other , and is that not the best feeling , regards to all from Ying and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

shaun

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 05:36:03 am »
Excellent News Paul.

Shaun

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 06:19:12 pm »
Paul, I too am sorry for her fall.  My mother in law is about the same age.  i agree whole heartedly on the hospitals.  The one my wife works at is not that clean, she complains all of the time about that.  It is difficult to comprehend because they have twenty people just walking around the streets cleaning up but do not have enough help cleaning the hospitals.  Now not all of them are like that.  The hospital my brother in law is at, is an amazing hospital.  i wrote about that in my thread.  They are an Orthopedic hospital mainly, they are recognized as the best in China.  They believe in healing the whole body, not just the part that you cut on.  They have a complete park around their hospital.  With water falls and sitting benches, able to fish in the lake, get boats, everything.  So if I had to go to one, that would be the one I would like to go to.
 By the way, my brother in law wants to come to the US to practice for a year or two.  I told him he needed to go to the VA hospitals, they are crying for Orthopedic surgeons.  I had one who hardly spoke any English and he was from India.  I once had a Vietnamese Dr. who asked me to help him with my file.  That gave me a lot of comfort. LOL My Brother in law at least has a basic knowledge of English and the Medical terms are still in based in Latin in China so he could have a good start.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Paul Todd

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 04:17:20 am »
One thing I did notice on my down to the x-ray dept with the mother in law  were two treatment rooms,with signs on the doors saying "Clairvoyance dept" I had to stop and just make sure that's what they said !:huh:  I wondered if you go there would someone  look into the future an see the outcome of your treatment?:dodgy: If it looked bad would they be honest an say, well it's a waste of time as your going to die next week anyway so why bother! This really has me beat, any idea's Jim? or am I somehow missing the obvious!

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 04:45:24 am »
On a lighter note....

Just finished an important project from the history of the American Railroad System

The photo is of my 1/32 museum scale Berkshire 779 from the New York, Chicago & St.Louis Railroad Co.....the famous "Nickel Plate Road".

The loco is completely to museum scale and is a fully operational steamer with boiler feed pump, operating throttle and reversing, drive wheel lube system ,blow down, cylinder pre-heat , automatic steam oil injectors.............and a whistle !!

It contains 5846 seperate parts and took 10 months to construct.

The Berkshire was the largest, most powerful steamer ever constructed in the USA, and other than the twin engine composite locos was the most powerful single engine in the World. They were made by Lima-Hamilton in Ohio. The 779 was the last of the series built and when she was complete, the Lima-Hamilton Factory was finished building steamers.!!
It had an all up weight of over 350 tons and developed 65,000 lbs of tractive effort....carried 22,000 gallons of water and 22 tons of coal.

THe model weighs in at 84 lbs and is overall 59 inches long. Uses Methanol for fuel...can be coal-fired, but too messy and dangerous in a model of this type.. Boiler pressure operates at 125 psi.

There is not a single piece of plastic...all brass, steel and copper !!!

Nostalgia !!

david
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:57:49 am by David E »

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 10:14:13 am »
Paul, i asked my wife and she says she thinks they meant Psychiatry.  Although you can never tell, they may be researching something.  They truly believe you must heal the whole body, not just the injured part.

David, very impressive.  How is each part held together?  is it by screws, bolts or did you weld?
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline maxx

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 10:55:11 am »
Paul yes I'm thinking the sign you seen was bad English.Probably more like Chinglish.

David that is really cool

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 05:07:38 pm »
Quote from: 'JimB' pid='23594' dateline='1258816453'

Paul, i asked my wife and she says she thinks they meant Psychiatry.  Although you can never tell, they may be researching something.  They truly believe you must heal the whole body, not just the injured part.

David, very impressive.  How is each part held together?  is it by screws, bolts or did you weld?

Jim

Nuts, screws, washers and bolts (sounds like some nutter who was let loose in a Laundry !!!)...plus welding, silver solder and brazing

David

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 08:17:11 pm »
Quote from: 'Paul Todd' pid='23566' dateline='1258795040'

One thing I did notice on my down to the x-ray dept with the mother in law  were two treatment rooms,with signs on the doors saying "Clairvoyance dept" I had to stop and just make sure that's what they said !:huh:  I wondered if you go there would someone  look into the future an see the outcome of your treatment?:dodgy: If it looked bad would they be honest an say, well it's a waste of time as your going to die next week anyway so why bother! This really has me beat, any idea's Jim? or am I somehow missing the obvious!

When I was in Zhuhai they had a deprtment at teh hospital named 'The Easy Clinic'  one doctor dealt with 120 patients a day - Bloody glad I did not have to go to 'The Hard Clinic'

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

David5o

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2009, 05:25:42 pm »
THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO READ THIS

LETTER TO THE EDITOR ~

EVER NOTICE HOW SOME PEOPLE JUST SEEM TO  KNOW HOW TO WRITE A LETTER? ....THIS ONE SURE DOES!    

THIS WAS WRITTEN BY A CANADIAN WOMAN, BUT OH HOW IT ALSO APPLIES TO THE U.S., U.K. AND AUSTRALIA....

THIS ONE PACKS A FIRM PUNCH_

HERE IS A WOMAN WHO SHOULD RUN FOR PRIME MINISTER!

WRITTEN BY A HOUSEWIFE IN NEW BRUNSWICK, TO HER LOCAL NEWSPAPER THIS IS ONE TICKED OFF LADY.

'ARE WE FIGHTING A WAR ON TERROR OR AREN'T WE? WAS IT OR WAS IT NOT STARTED BY ISLAMIC PEOPLE WHO BROUGHT IT TO OUR SHORES ON SEPTEMBER 11, 2001 AND HAVE CONTINUALLY THREATENED TO DO SO EVER SINCE?

WERE PEOPLE FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD, NOT BRUTALLY MURDERED THAT DAY, IN DOWNTOWN MANHATTAN , ACROSS THE POTOMAC FROM THE CAPITOL OF THE USA AND IN A FIELD IN PENNSYLVANIA ?

DID NOT NEARLY THREE THOUSAND MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN DIE A HORRIBLE, BURNING OR CRUSHING DEATH THAT DAY, OR DIDN'T THEY?

AND I'M SUPPOSED TO CARE THAT A FEW TALIBAN WERE CLAIMING TO BE TORTURED BY A JUSTICE SYSTEM OF THE NATION THEY COME FROM AND ARE FIGHTING AGAINST IN A BRUTAL INSURGENCY.

I'LL START CARING WHEN OSAMA BIN LADEN TURNS HIMSELF IN AND REPENTS FOR INCINERATING ALL THOSE INNOCENT PEOPLE ON 9/11.

I'LL CARE ABOUT THE KORAN WHEN THE FANATICS IN THE MIDDLE EAST START CARING ABOUT THE HOLY BIBLE, THE MERE BELIEF OF WHICH IS A  CRIME PUNISHABLE BY BEHEADING IN AFGHANISTAN ...

I'LL CARE WHEN THESE THUGS TELL THE WORLD THEY ARE SORRY FOR
HACKING OFF NICK BERG'S HEAD WHILE BERG SCREAMED THROUGH HIS GURGLING SLASHED THROAT.

I'LL CARE WHEN THE COWARDLY SO-CALLED 'INSURGENTS' IN
AFGHANISTAN COME OUT AND FIGHT LIKE MEN INSTEAD OF DISRESPECTING THEIR OWN RELIGION BY HIDING IN MOSQUES AND BEHIND WOMEN AND CHILDREN.

I'LL CARE WHEN THE MINDLESS ZEALOTS WHO BLOWS THEMSELVES UP IN SEARCH OF NIRVANA CARE ABOUT THE INNOCENT CHILDREN WITHIN RANGE OF THEIR SUICIDE BOMBS.

I'LL CARE WHEN THE CANADIAN MEDIA STOPS PRETENDING THAT THEIR
FREEDOM OF SPEECH ON STORIES IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE LIVES OF THE SOLDIERS ON THE GROUND OR THEIR FAMILIES WAITING AT HOME TO HEAR ABOUT THEM WHEN SOMETHING HAPPENS.  IN THE MEANTIME, WHEN I HEAR A STORY ABOUT A CANADIAN SOLDIER ROUGHING UP AN INSURGENT TERRORIST TO OBTAIN INFORMATION, KNOW THIS: ....I DON'T CARE.

WHEN I SEE A WOUNDED TERRORIST GET SHOT IN THE HEAD WHEN HE IS TOLD NOT TO MOVE BECAUSE HE MIGHT BE BOOBY-TRAPPED, YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THE BANK: ....I DON'T CARE.

WHEN I HEAR THAT A PRISONER, WHO WAS ISSUED A KORAN AND A PRAYER MAT, AND 'FED SPECIAL' FOOD THAT IS PAID FOR BY MY TAX DOLLARS, IS COMPLAINING THAT HIS HOLY BOOK IS BEING 'MISHANDLED,' YOU CAN ABSOLUTELY BELIEVE IN YOUR HEART OF HEARTS: .....I DON'T CARE.

And oh, by the way, I've noticed that sometimes it's spelled
'Koran' and other times 'Quran.' Well, Jimmy go Crack Corn you, guessed it, ...I DON'T CARE!!

IF YOU AGREE WITH THIS VIEWPOINT, PASS THIS ON TO ALL YOUR E-MAIL FRIENDS.  SOONER OR LATER, IT'LL GET TO THE PEOPLE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS RIDICULOUS BEHAVIOR!

IF YOU DON'T AGREE, THEN BY ALL MEANS HIT THE DELETE BUTTON.
SHOULD YOU CHOOSE THE LATTER, THEN PLEASE DON'T COMPLAIN WHEN MORE
ATROCITIES COMMITTED BY RADICAL MUSLIMS HAPPEN HERE IN OUR GREAT COUNTRY!  AND MAY I ADD:

'SOME PEOPLE SPEND AN ENTIRE LIFETIME WONDERING IF THEY MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD. BUT, THE SOLDIERS DON'T HAVE THAT
PROBLEM.'
I HAVE ANOTHER QUOTE THAT I WOULD LIKE TO ADD, AND.......I HOPE
YOU FORWARD ALL THIS._

NOW FOR THAT ONE LAST THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:

ONLY FIVE DEFINING FORCES HAVE EVER OFFERED TO DIE FOR YOU:

1. JESUS CHRIST

2. THE BRITISH SOLDIER.

3. THE CANADIAN SOLDIER.

4. THE US SOLDIER, AND

5. THE AUSTRALIAN SOLDIER

ONE DIED FOR YOUR SOUL, THE OTHER 4 FOR YOUR FREEDOM.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO PASS THIS ON, AS MANY SEEM TO FORGET ALL OF
THEM.

AMEN! .......

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2009, 06:05:22 pm »
The whole Western World feels like that....except for a few Loonies, Lawyers, and most Politicians !!!

I dont care either.............................If they want to play hard ball...it cuts both ways !!!

Australian Politicians are letting these people come here, illegally in "refugee" boats from Indonesia...they get visas almost immediately, and all the Social Services money gets thrown at them.

But for a genuine and serious Guy who wants to legally bring his legal wife here from China (or anywhere else), they have to go through a mind numbing bullshit paper war and wait up to 12 months

Has the World gone crazy or what ??

DavidE
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 06:09:27 pm by David E »

• Board Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2009, 05:31:08 am »
Havn't got a view on this line but just wanted to remove 666 from my postings.:angel::angel::angel:

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Paul Todd

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 03:11:03 am »
David50
I'm afraid I don't agree with this viewpoint at all and I choose my words carefully when saying that I belive this forum is not the place to promote such idea's. I do however respect your opinion.

Just to lighten the mood here after that! This guy is just delivering the mail http://v.blog.sohu.com/u/pw/256722#n1_v1

• Board Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2009, 03:38:17 am »
On Monday I arrived back here after a short trip to London. I was minding my own business when I was directed into a special establishment that I had not been to for some years.
There in a darkened room I was subjected to various ignominies and made to perform different functions whilst there was three, yes three women all of whom were given me various commands.
You guessed it!   I was in a Opticians in downtown Zhongshan.
Have your eyes tested in China when none of the examiners can speak English is a great experience and my Chinese cut no ice with them at all.
No BIG English letters to read out – we found one that looked like an ’E’ and the main part of the test ended up with me pointing a finger depending on which ways the prongs of the  E was facing.   We did this in various sizes of course.
All the other tests normally carried out when in the UK went by the board and after about twenty minutes deciding on frames I was ask the important question.  Did I want lens that were made in China or those made in Hong Kong.  
As there was a difference of 100 rmb in price between the two choices I settled on the HK ones.  Well I had noticed that the sales lady had a slanted looked behind her spectacles and she had said hers was Chinese. So as I did not want my eyes to look slanted I took the second choice.   But there again the other two ladies also had a slanted look and they did not wear glasses!!!!
I collected the glasses today after only a gap of one day.  For a total price of 350 RMB I have actually got glasses that I can see kerb lines with and  I do not have to work with my nose to the computer screen .
That is less than £35 , money well spent and what’s more I got to choose my own choice of spectacles case.

Willy (who now gets a clearer view of the women)
Willy The Lpndoner