Author Topic: General Thread For This and That!!....  (Read 135811 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Re: General Thread For This and That!!....
« Reply #735 on: June 11, 2011, 08:03:32 am »
The Problem with American history is that what there is like almost curren taffairs to us Brits.

We have buildings, still being used,  that are 4 times as old as the USA! ;D ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #736 on: June 11, 2011, 09:28:19 am »
But American history is also British history, and French history, and other countries ideas and culture . The buildings are young because the ideas that shaped the nation where young. The wish to settle a new land far away from the old world was fraught with peril and those that did it demanded more of the profit of risk. If you live on the land of your fathers, father then tradition will have a much tighter grasp on controlling your ideas. But once transported to a greater distance then new ways of doing things happen. Just look what happens when teens finally leave home for college and no more have their parents curfew to contend with.

Its just that buildings are easier to take picture of then ideas, thus we equate history with old buildings.

And as I write this I see Willy has at this exact moment of time 2001 postings. Congratulations Willy for the space you have filled with your words as your history has been an Odyssey  8)  Stanley Kubrick would be proud.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:43:51 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline maxx

« Reply #737 on: July 01, 2011, 07:25:21 pm »
If it is true or not.She has spread so many lies.About her self.The Chinese government.And anybody else.That would listen and help her in the first place.Nobody believes her anymore.Last I heard If she ever shows her face in China again.They are going to lock her up and throw the key away.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #738 on: July 01, 2011, 07:46:34 pm »
I can't decide if this is true or made for TV storyline?
Her solace, she said, is that her story might "touch people's hearts" and help others.

I think a mis-quote here !!!

Should be "Her solace, she said, is that her story might "touch her Bank Account and help all the fools out there make such a waste of Oxygen seem justified"

;D ;D ;D

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #739 on: August 02, 2011, 08:38:50 am »
Ok guys...who can read this properly ;D ;D

"Ur ye Scottish? A um,Ye ken yir a true scot if ye kin properly pronounce Ecclefechan, Sauchiehall St, St Enoch, Auchtermuchty and Aufurfuksake. Yer used tae 4 seasons in wan day, Ye kin faw aboot pished wioot spillin yer drink, ye kin make hael sentences jist wi swear words n ye ken irn bru is a hangover cure, ye actually unerstaun this message n yer gonnae repost it".
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #740 on: August 02, 2011, 05:51:03 pm »
Once I took my reading glassess off all became so much clearer.........If only I drank then I might have understood a little bit of that dribble
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #741 on: August 02, 2011, 06:26:31 pm »
Youse coming the raw prawn with us cobber  ????

This mangled Pommie lingo almost brought on a technicolour yawn !!!....or even worse...a humungous chunder !!!!

But dont reckon we came down in the last shower mate.....we know you were legless when you wrote it. So just go and have a Dingo's breakfast, or if youre that crook....have a sickie.

Strewth....speaking Strine is rough enough, but this Boong lingo is enough to make a grown Man weep.

She'll be right though, just chuck another shrimp on the barbie and sink a few more coldies ....no worries !!!!!

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #742 on: August 02, 2011, 06:52:28 pm »
haha that is truthfully the way the Scotish 'talk' ;D ;D...AND even more AMAZING...It's EASY to understand... ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline kenny

« Reply #743 on: August 06, 2011, 01:10:14 pm »
I wonder who organizes something like that?

Looks like about as many cabs as in China!

Arnold

« Reply #744 on: August 06, 2011, 02:36:11 pm »
Ahhh .. brings back memories . Un-employed Dance Groups do need too practice and stay in Shape .. so this is one way to do it . Great to see People are still having Fun , even with this Economy . Love People that stay positive through thick and thin .

Offline Scottish_Robbie

« Reply #745 on: August 06, 2011, 05:49:27 pm »
Have to agree I loved seeing so many people happy ;D

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #746 on: August 07, 2011, 12:30:13 am »
 Of course they are happy Robbie , they have just heard that everyone is leaving New York and heading for Mexico , or maybe everyone is heading for South America ha ha , except for Vince who is heading for China maybe in the next century , regards Sujuan and Robert . 
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #747 on: August 07, 2011, 06:07:46 am »
Have to agree I loved seeing so many people happy ;D

Get the 'Just for Men' out Robbie and start looking your age.  That soulful face and grey hair makes you look older than....... I don't know!  It just makes you look older than my neices two year old and maybe just a little bit younger than me.  How can I pass yopu off as my schoolboy son when your hair is not dyed with the same colour as I use.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #749 on: August 08, 2011, 09:16:43 am »
If anyone needs some reference to just how evil the Japanese were in their invasion of China, a good movie to watch is: Ip Man.  It's a story of a Chinese martial arts master who is asked by the occupying Japanese army to teach them, and his refusal.  Ip Man was the man that trained Bruce Lee.  There are some real amazing fight scenes. 

Actually, there is no shortage of movies about the war. 
...as irresistible as chocolate