Author Topic: General Thread For This and That!!....  (Read 135685 times)

Offline Scottish_Robbie

Re: General Thread For This and That!!....
« Reply #975 on: October 27, 2012, 01:04:52 pm »

Little Big Man.  ly

Yp that they call me...!!! ;D ;D ;D
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts" Winston Churchill

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
« Reply #976 on: October 28, 2012, 03:40:24 am »
same as Mike, got a 1 year contract with skype for $60 US (gotta love the AUD being worth more at the moment  :P)and 520 minutes per month (but you must pay for the whole year upon subscription).  There is no way Xia talks more than that per month so we have given her mum, brother and his wife our log in details so they can talk to her family for free to and it is a win win for all so we use the monthly allowance.  If we did not Skype would be getting money for free in a sense.  We do not miss out and Xia's family are very appreciative of the use but to be able to call anyone in China we like at any time is the crux of the issue for us.  Anyone else that she knows and does not know their phone number or lives outside of China she talks to on QQ so it is for free anyway.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #977 on: October 30, 2012, 09:14:06 am »
$30 per year ... for unlimited calls to phones in North America (US & Canada)

And yet he never phones me.

Offline shaun

« Reply #978 on: October 30, 2012, 09:16:28 am »
Unfortunately if he were to call you today all he would say is glug glug glug...

I hope he is weathering the storm OK.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #979 on: October 30, 2012, 11:14:07 am »
Unfortunately if he were to call you today all he would say is glug glug glug...

I hope he is weathering the storm OK.

Oh Shaun!  Even I would not venture to say that the USA is going down the plug hole.  ::)

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline shaun

« Reply #980 on: October 30, 2012, 05:13:52 pm »
Oh Willy!!!! I was only referring to Hurricane Sandy and all of the water in New York.  However the same answer would apply to our political situation now that you mention it.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #981 on: January 28, 2013, 08:14:59 pm »
I see today that the Republicans have decided they need the Spanish vote or be caste into oblivion.

So they are at last supporting the new immigration policy to legalise11 million illegal immigrants.  Like the UK Government the actual number of immigrants are always down played so maybe 20 odd million new 'Americans' soon.

Does this mean that they then will be coming down harder on other nationalities such as Chinese?  Especially as the USA considers China to be their number one enemy now following the downfall of the USSR.

Strange as China buying up USA debt has sustained the economy to a certain extent there!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline shaun

« Reply #982 on: January 28, 2013, 08:28:19 pm »
Willy... Can you help a poor guy out without me having to connect the dots?  ;)

Two words.   Mexico City...  I'll take care of the rest.  ;D

Just joking!!!!!    ::)

Vince G

« Reply #983 on: January 28, 2013, 10:49:07 pm »
They may change things to make it illegal immigrants legal but how many will? As it stands right now they would have to pay fines and back taxes (5 figures) to become legal and then the fees associated with the immigration. So don't hold your breath.

• Board Moderator
« Reply #984 on: January 29, 2013, 03:12:12 am »
Willy... Can you help a poor guy out without me having to connect the dots?  ;)

Two words.   Mexico City...  I'll take care of the rest.  ;D

Just joking!!!!!    ::)

Wo ting bu dong! ::)

I am just a poor uneducated Englishman  All I know about Mexico City is that we played the World cup there many years ago.  From whence it gave football and other sports the Mexican Wave. ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Vince G

« Reply #985 on: February 02, 2013, 09:14:31 pm »
Here's some fun read. Happening here all the time. btw this is all within a few miles from me. Broward county is Fort lauderdale.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Broward woman imprisoned, U.S. citizenship revoked after she stole Social Security benefits
February 2, 2013

A Broward County woman who fraudulently obtained U.S. citizenship with an illegal marriage, then milked the system for tens of thousands of dollars in government benefits, has been sentenced to more than a year in prison.

Federal prosecutors said Indra Seepaul Sankar, 42, was a classic example of how dishonest people drain government funds.

Investigators unraveled her fraud, which they said included forging an annulment document to make it seem as if she could legally marry her second husband, a U.S. citizen.

During a sentencing hearing that went on for two days last week, prosecutors revealed that she fraudulently received Social Security survivor benefits for years after her husband died. She also received a $1.5 million settlement from a New York gym where he died.

Not content with illegally getting close to $80,000 in benefits as the widow of a U.S. citizen she married while still legally married to her first husband in Trinidad, investigators testified that — even after she pleaded guilty to unlawfully procuring citizenship — she continued to steal by collecting U.S. Social Security benefits and food stamps on behalf of her ill mother, a U.S. citizen who had returned home to Trinidad and was no longer entitled to the money.

U.S. District Judge James Cohn revoked Sankar's citizenship, ordered her to repay $79,425 to the government and sentenced her to a year and one month in prison before likely deportation.

Sankar, a native of Trinidad who lived in Sunrise, Coral Springs and previously in New York City, asked the judge for house arrest.

"I'm sorry that I'm here today, I'm sorry about this whole incident," Sankar told the judge on Tuesday.

Her attorney Michael Entin said there was "nothing sinister" about Sankar's crime. He said she came to New York in 1996 on her honeymoon with her first husband, a Trinidadian police officer, and stayed on with family because he was physically abusive.

Sankar said her first husband had the marriage annulled in Trinidad, but prosecutors said that was untrue at the time and she filed a forged annulment record in court in New York.

When her second husband died after drinking an energy drink at a gym, she filed a lawsuit against the business, seeking damages for herself and their now-13-year-old daughter. She received a $1.5 million settlement some years ago, much of which prosecutors said she "flitted away."

Prosecutor Harry Wallace said Sankar was "driven by greed" and intentionally deceived government officials.

"It's not a case where she made a bunch of dumb mistakes," he said.

Sankar was on track to get a lighter punishment when first scheduled for sentencing last year, but investigators discovered she was using her mother's benefits and prosecutors sought harsher punishment because she had not given up her criminal ways. Among the evidence they gathered was video of Sankar using her mother's food stamps to buy food for herself at local stores and photos from ATMs showing her withdrawing her mother's benefits while the older woman was living abroad.

Sankar seemed resigned as she was immediately taken into custody, but her mother, sister and brother — who prosecutors said lied in court testimony on her behalf — cried, yelled abuse and hissed at investigators and the prosecutor who uncovered the fraud as they left the courtroom. They also shouted at the judge that the sentence was "so unfair" before they were removed by a court security officer.

Offline Pineau

• All things considered .....
  • Board Moderator
  • God is great, beer is good, and people are Crazy
    • Youtube
« Reply #986 on: February 12, 2013, 11:15:21 pm »
Don’t give up when you still have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
https://chinaandfriends.shutterfly.com/pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/gerrypineau/videos
http://youtu.be/zG4eoONlutE

• Board Moderator
« Reply #987 on: February 13, 2013, 04:09:10 am »
I wish they had this when I was there.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-02/12/content_16221026.htm

Good News indeed. But only place I have got any form of food poisoning was in Arizona on a trip from Las Vegas maybe USA should follow suit.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Vince G

« Reply #988 on: April 11, 2013, 10:04:05 am »
A while ago there was that debate of Football. Here is the difference between the two. (Youtube)

http://youtu.be/tUifrzEfq1g

Offline shaun

« Reply #989 on: April 11, 2013, 03:52:52 pm »
Vince, a good explanation. ;D