Author Topic: Bringing cooking ingrediants to China?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
Bringing cooking ingrediants to China?
« on: November 27, 2009, 01:49:27 pm »
I'm going back to china in February and two of Sunny's friends are having Americans visiting them at the same time too so Yamaha is hosting a dinner party for us all which will be a blast and i have suggested that i hold one too and that the American guys do the same (which went down well..sorry Americans if you are forums members!!). I'll be there for a month so they are trying to find me a short let apartment for the month.

From my experience walking around Chinese supermarkets, i haven't much hope of finding western spices or flavourings...oregano, oxo cubes, worcestershire sauce etc, so I was thinking of bringing them with me in small un-opened packaging.
Is this going to lead to problems at customs do you think?

I know eggs and meat are non starters, but herbs,spices and sauces?

Anyone have any recommendations?
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline maxx

RE: Bringing cooking ingrediants to China?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 01:51:18 pm »
It will be fine as long as you put them in your bags and they are not open.

David5o

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 02:49:48 pm »
Ronan,

The OXO and the worcestershire sauce i have purchased at the bigger supermarkets in China. I don't think there is any herb or spice that you can't find in the spice markets, they will have it somewhere, but maybe in smaller quantities, that's not quite as noticeable as there main fair. The OXO can be a problem at times, i think they buy it as job lots and you have to wait till the next job lot comes up. But they do have all the things that you mentioned in the bigger supermarkets, you may have to hunt around a bit.....

I used to cook a lot of Italian dishes, and never really had that much trouble locating the ingredients. OK, i admit i did have help in locating some of the things i needed at times, but then you do have Sunny and Yamaha to help you!!!... lol!!! When you really look around in China, you'll find there isn't that much that you can't get....

Wouldn't hurt to take a small box of the OXO cubes with you, they aren't going to break/spill all over your suitcase either!!!... You know , ...Murphy's law and all that!!! ...hahaha!!

David......
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:33:21 pm by David5o »

brett

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 03:14:10 pm »
Depends if you get caught with them. Herbs and oxo cubes - technically you're not really allowed them. I brought some stuff with me and I was kind of glad I didn't get my case inspected :s.

David5o

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 07:52:51 pm »
Brett,

In the early days of my time in China, everyone had there cases inspected without exception. In those days i regularly took things like OXO cubes and the like, they never batted an eyelid. You just have to be sensible about it, like Maxx said, small unopened quantities and your fine!! Anything there not sure about, and they take it off you, but I've never had anything taken at the airport....

If at anytime you have to stay overnight in Hong Kong, then buy all your needs there. In Hong Kong you can buy just about anything your used too in UK, and a good deal of the stuff your used to in the USA and other countries too....

David....

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 02:47:55 pm »
I took pancake mix and syrup, as she wanted to try the american kind.  But when I got around to some of the bigger stores in the upper class areas, I found everything i needed.  Even Ragu Spaghetti sauce.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

ttwjr32

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 05:37:11 pm »
there are quite a few places here in Guangzhou that cater
  to and have western food and ingredients some priced well
  and some a little steep in price. But i havent found oregano
  nor have i found a good chili mix.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 12:26:37 am »
Ted I'll bring you over some oregano then!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

ttwjr32

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 08:19:36 pm »
irishman    thanks