Author Topic: Once you have the Visa  (Read 8402 times)

rockycoon

RE: Once you have the Visa
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 12:00:25 am »
ONCE YOU HAVE THE VISA,

Maxx it out....:icon_cheesygrin:

sorry guy's just had to do this....couldn't resist....:icon_cheesygrin: I'll go to my corner now.,.,,
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:06:07 am by rockycoon »

shaun

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 04:52:51 am »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='33225' dateline='1267765168'

Quote from: 'shaun' pid='33220' dateline='1267758892'

Maxx and Vince,

Thanks.  I already have the application in my file to take to China.  27 days.

Shaun,  is this a time when you wish that March was one of those months with just 30 days in it!!!!

Problem is,  as slow as it goes at home the faster it goes once here.

Willy

Tis true McDuff.
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='33226' dateline='1267765225'

ONCE YOU HAVE THE VISA,

Maxx it out....:icon_cheesygrin:

sorry guy's just had to do this....couldn't resist....:icon_cheesygrin: I'll go to my corner now.,.,,

Don, you have to stay in that corner for 24 hours, and yes you must face the wall the whole time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 04:54:48 am by shaun »

rockycoon

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 07:19:30 am »
There is no wall, they removed it yesterday...:s In fact there is no roof or kitchen or anything.  Nothing left but the floor, gotta use the johnny can outside as the bathroom is gone also.  Hope they remodel soon
that johnny can is getting on my hate list.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 07:21:43 am by rockycoon »

Vince G

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2010, 08:13:17 am »
Rocky funny you say that, I'm remodeling a house (rental) and they tore it down to the bare walls? One of the helpers as soon as he got there wanted to know where the bathroom was? I said I'm standing in it. :icon_biggrin:

trwme

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2010, 09:28:13 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='33198' dateline='1267749980'

Quote from: 'metooap' pid='33187' dateline='1267747497'

Vince

Do you know or have a feel for how long the K-1 VISA takes versus the K3?

Alton

I believe they are only months apart (like 3)? It's always changing. They say "This visa takes BEST SPEED MINIMUM four to six months processing time" but it's more like 8 to 11? Depends on how they feel??

The main reason people who are K1 eligible consider the K3 process is that they believe the K3 visa will process more quickly. Even if USCIS happens to be processing K3 visas faster than your regional USCIS service center is processing K1 visa petitions at a given time, any apparent advantage in K3 visa processing times is usually deceptive. In theory, a U.S. fiancee can start a K1 visa petition immediately, provided they have all of the necessary documentation. To even start the K3 petition, they would have to get married outside the U.S. Unless the U.S. citizen is prepared to take that step and already has made travel plans, it could easily be several months before they will be able to start the K3 process, and the delay could more than wipe out any K3 visa processing time advantage.
In addition, before you can file a K3 visa application, you will need to be able to show that you filed an immigration petition with the USCIS service center that serves your region. This can easily add several weeks onto the process, while you wait for an official USCIS receipt or equivalent proof that you have filed the immigration petition to arrive.

Finally, the processing times at various service centers are not static: they can change greatly over time. It is entirely possible that, by the time you start your K3 visa application, either the service center that would have processed your K1 petition will have reduced its backlog, or USCIS will have fallen further behind in processing K3 applications (this seems especially likely if a lot of people decide to use the K3 process when they could have used the K1 process).

For all of these reasons, it is usually better for those who are K1 eligible to stick to the K1 process, and leave K3 visas to those who are already married. However, as noted above, every case is unique.

If I may, I'd like to clarify a few things here. First off, you do not HAVE to marry outside the U.S.-IF you can get your lady here for a visit, you can marry here. I did this with my ex, she came for a visit, we went to the courthouse here in the county where I live, got a marriage license, and got married. I was told by a lawyer friend that while technically she needed to go back, as a practical matter they would not make her go back. We decided she would go back, and then we'd go thrpough the K3 process. that way she could work when she came, instead of not being able to work while we waited out the process.

Also USCIS was reorganized a few years ago, the regional office won't handle your application. Various regional offices handle specific type of applications, unless they've changed it again since my ex and I went through it. My ex and I got caught up in this when we got married, they did this reorganization a couple of months after we married and it slowed the whole process down for us. I live in Missouri, and our application went to California-California, for crying out loud!!!!- and then to Conneticut. It used to be that your regional office handled every type of application/immigration issue related to people living in that region, but not any more. Unless, as I said earlier, they've changed it yet again.

You will go to your regional office for the status of adjustment interview though.

As a practical matter, from what I've read here, if you are going to do the K3 you'll have to go to China to get married, since it seems next to impossible to arrange a visit for them to come here. The K1, as I recall, would have been a much faster way to actually get married and have her here to stay, but getting the green card and status if adjustment interview would have taken longer, and been a bit more expensive if I remember right.

rockycoon

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2010, 11:50:23 pm »
I recall on here sometime in the past that according to US rules, you can get married here, I have forgotten how long she can stay after that, but it was suggested
that You can get married here, then go to china and get married agian.  This is for the lady's sake so she can say she was married in china with all the relitives.
How ever, I did ask and was told that for her to come to America on a visit, she had to have so much money in the bank, which is I guess a guarentee that she would
return.
I ask a lawyer about this and was told that, she should come to America first and get married, then the marrage in China was only a formality, and it was faster
to get the visa's and cards you needed.  By the way, the office Vince is talking about is in San Francisco, you also get China visa's there and passports.  Vince knows
the whole shot, he is a great source of information.

By the way Vince, this remodel involves the entire roof being removed and NO outside walls or studs.  Everything means everything, just the floor remains....and
even then they took the tiles and left only wood...(I thought this only happened when you owe the IRS...:icon_cheesygrin:) at least you got walls....haha
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 11:52:22 pm by rockycoon »

Offline maxx

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2010, 12:10:07 am »
Adjustment of status was right around 1,000.00 depending on what forms you botherd to fill out and send in.You don't need the permission to work or the permission to travel.Biometrics was like 30 dollers and the temporary green card came with the adjustment of status.

The biometrics is just a fingerprint and a picture taken it takes like 5 minutes.We recieved the biometrics appointment like 3 weeks after I filled for the adjustment of status.Then 2 weaks latter we recieved  the temporary green card.The lady can travel on the temporary green card.

After you recieve the temporary green card.You can take it.And a copy of your marrage liscence.To any social security office and get your wife a social security card.It takes them about 3 weeks.

After 2 years the temporary green card expires.90 days before it expires you must.Apply for the permenent green card.You will recieve notification of another biometrics appointment. And possibly a interview from someone in immagration.You will only get the notification of the interview.If there has ben any problems.( you or your wife have had run ins with the police. Over domastic disputes ,assault and battery.Or any seriose crimes)

A big misconception is that at some point and time the lady is going to have to apply for citizenship.As far as i know that is not true.I have not recieved a notice from the goverment about this.My wife travels on her Chinese passport and her green card.We haven't had any problems.

trwme

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2010, 05:23:14 am »
No, they don't have to become a citizen. My ex kept her Canadian citizenship, she was classified as a permanant resident. One thing though, they will not be allowed to travel outside the U.S. for a year. That was the deal breaker for my ex and I; she went back to Canada within that one year, and they took her green card at the border. As I understand it, the only way she could return now is to renounce her canadian citizenship.

Also, I wasn't trying to contradict Vince, I was just adding a couple of things I know from my own experience here. Mainly that you do not have to get married outside of the U.S. for the K3, I know that for certain because my ex and I got married here, she went back, and then we went through the K3 process. But that's really a moot point, since it is virtually impossible for a chinese lady to travel here to begin with, from what everyone has said here. And I remember that reorganization thing damn well, we thought we were looking at 6 months for the initial approval, and then it was almost a year because they juggled everything around and the California office got swamped with the paperwork for the K3 from all over the country. After that, the paperwork went to the Conneticut regional office and the rest was handled from there.

The adjustment of status interview will come 90 days before the 2 year anniversary of her entry date into the U.S.

ttwjr32

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2010, 06:07:50 am »
Maxx,

applying for citizenship is an option but not a requirement. also if they do that
they could and will lose any retirement they have in China.

Ted

David5o

« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2010, 08:46:06 am »
Ted,

Not necessarily, As i've pointed out before, ... what the Chinese authorities don't know about can't hurt them, financially or otherwise. Officially they lose any State benefits as soon as she is married to a foreigner, or take citizenship of another country. If she becomes a citizen of another country, then she will actually need an entry visa to enter her own country!!!! (only if the Chinese Authorities find out that is)

All Chinese women that marry a foreigner in another country, has to keep that marriage from being known to the Chinese authorities for the rest of there life. When they need to renew there passports, they have to keep to there single status and family name on the original passport, ...no big deal!! There is no restriction of a Chinese National living and/or working outside of China before and after retirement age.

It all sounds complicated and bothersome, but in reality it's not... Just have to remember when dealing with anything that involves Chinese Authority, to tell them nothing, or as little as possible and then only when asked. And never divulge your marriage status to a foreigner...

David....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 09:42:04 am by David5o »

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2010, 10:00:40 am »
But then here's the question.  When they renew their passports, do they have to submit their old passports?  And how long does it take?

Case in point.  Lady marries a foreigner while in the US (She visits for some reason).  After a few years, her passport is about to expire so she returns to China (in the intervening years, she visits China say once or twice a year).  If she submits her old passport, the office is going to notice that she's been in the US for quite a while...won't that be suspicious?
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

David5o

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2010, 10:12:13 am »
mustfocus,

Nope, as i said there is no restriction on Chinese Nationals working overseas for any period of time.
The other thing is, ...there is no need to go back to China to renew your passport, that can be done at any Chinese Embassy or Consulate in whatever country you happen to be in.... No problems!!  lol!!! Yes to renew any passport you have to submit your old passport. But all you want is a renewal, so whatever is on the old passport ie ...Name, Status, etc will be transferred to the newly issued passport ...and life goes on for another 10 years ...lol!!!

David....
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 10:16:36 am by David5o »

shaun

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 06:29:54 am »
If the Chinese Embassy's are as efficient as the American Government they will never be caught unless you become a super famous and wealthy person.  The only thing that would scare me is that the US Government is paying citizens to be bounty hunters for the IRS.  Can you imagine if the Emigration Department begins to do that?

ttwjr32

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 06:44:34 pm »
Shaun,

no money for them to do this. the irs gives them a % of what the person owes when they collect
so in essence they dont pay for it beforehand. immigration would have to pay it out and were would
they get the money for that??

rockycoon

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 11:24:48 pm »
Sig-Heil Shaun I agree.  They are all good little Nazi's and turn all friends and neighbors in...yah yah....
But like Sargent Shultz, Yavol, I take bribes unt perhaps a little apple
strudel....:icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:27:35 pm by rockycoon »