Author Topic: Chengdu....The story begins...... !!!  (Read 19333 times)

Offline odysseus007

RE: Chengdu....The story begins...... !!!
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 09:00:00 pm »
Quote from: 'David E' pid='25017' dateline='1260350129'

Hi Voice

I was 7 years in Singapore and 2 years in Djakarta...was weaned on hot, spicy food...hotter the better, just love it !!.

But I was completely defeated by Burmese Curry...made with the roasted seeds of that nasty little Chillie "tom thumb"...taste buds were destroyed for a week !!!

DavidE

Excellent David !!! Grats in advance !

You were in Singapore 7 years? A pity didn't get to meet you back then.

Looks like you passed the extensive "customs interviews". If she arranges such a large retinue of people for you to meet, I would say you are very much "in" with the family. Fully invested "face wise" I should say. My ex only introduced me to her business partners and family members after I had fully gained her confidence.

David be warned - their "mala huoguo" has these peppers (NOT chillies) that do an admirable job as local anaesthetics, haha. Your mouth will be numb for about 2 hours, loool. Ditto for the "Shui zu yu", but a must try, just try to leave off as much of the oil as you can. But the women are the spiciest... I think your senses will be overloaded for a long time :icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:14:01 pm by odysseus007 »
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

ttwjr32

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 09:00:10 pm »
they re cheap here as long as your not big like me
and then it gets a little harder to find but whe you do  CHEAP

Offline maxx

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2010, 09:47:27 pm »
David we all wish you the best of luck.We will be here waiting for the updates.

Offline zook144

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2010, 10:14:16 pm »
Good Luck, David!  Hope everything works out great for you. Can't wait to see pictures.

Don
The Journey Is The Destination

shaun

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2010, 10:19:57 pm »
David,

My best wishes go with you.  I hope your trip exceeds your wildest dreams.  Remember no female driver jokes while in China.

Shaun

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 01:49:49 am »
Dave

The warmest item of clothing I possess is a towelling bath robe.

How would I go rocking up to the airport dressed in that......the mind boggles :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

David

Offline dude

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2010, 03:46:52 am »
David,

Zhong and I wish you the best while you are here! Sounds like your onto a sure thing! :icon_biggrin:

p.s. if your lady is on a cell phone, while driving, it will be ok...they will barely exceed passed a walker when chatting!

Jim

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2010, 04:40:52 am »
Quote from: 'abigbutt' pid='30804' dateline='1265618812'

David,

Zhong and I wish you the best while you are here! Sounds like your onto a sure thing! :icon_biggrin:

p.s. if your lady is on a cell phone, while driving, it will be ok...they will barely exceed passed a walker when chatting!

Jim

Jim

Good thinking...I will INSIST that she has someone on the cell-phone every minute she is driving....but I will still keep my eyes closed !!!!

Surely she cant be any worse than a taxi driver...or is that just wishful thinking on my part !!!

Of course, I could always keep her locked in my hotel room...then I can do the driving...OOPS !!!! (Hahahaha)

David

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2010, 10:29:58 pm »
Hi All  !!!

Greetings from Chengdu :icon_cheesygrin:

"Herself" has just decided to go out to buy me a pair of thermal "long johns", because she is worried I am feeling the cold too much, so I have a few moments to send a small update !!

The trip over was the usual dose of airline organisation, "treat them like cattle", but I have a relatively easy trip of 2 X 5 hour segments so it was OK all in all.

On the Singapore/Chengdu leg, the plane was filled with little Chinese children going home from Singapore for the Festival, I think I was the only adult on the plane apart from their teachers !!

When I checked in, they were sorry to advise me that because they wanted to kep all the children togther, they would have to put me in Business Class...and was that OK by me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....(no-brainer)

Business Class was empty except for me, so it was very pleasant. Also I was able to get off first and leg it through Immigration and Customs in record time....I took 18 minutes from leaving the plane to going through the arrival Hall !!

Nobody was there to meet..........OOPs, I thought....not looking good !!!

I waited for 15 minutes outside the arivals, in case she had got stuck in traffic and quietly fumed away !!!.

Then I had to dig around in a suitcase to find my mobile phone and give her a call. This was quite a fiasco " hello, where are you"......"I am at the airport"...I am at the airport too,.....where are you !!!....and so on, and so on !!!

We both decided we were at door No 10, but I could not see her !!!

Finally it dawned on me that there are 2 exits for International flights...one for HK and Taiwan, and one for all the other arivals...yes, you guessed it, she was at the wrong one !!!

5 minutes later she arrived and just flew into my arms....WOW !!!!!

I know there are many differing views here about face -to-face communication prior to actually meeting, but if ever there was a compelling reason to get onto personal communication...this was it.

She was exactly the woman I have been communicating with...same looks, same smile, same characrter,,,same everything. Except that in person, her bubbly personality and her total self was much more intense, and the chemistry betwen us fairly sizzled !!!

so.....we eventually disentangled and made our way to her car......a bit like a large egg with 4 wheels and off we went to the Shangri-La Hotel where i was booked, We were so busy chatting away, that I did not even notice the multiple near-death experiences we went through on the 30 minute journey.:icon_cheesygrin:

I cant tell you how gorgeous she looked and behaved.......just like we had known each other forever...and so much more lovely "in the flesh",,,so to speak !! All my concerns/fears/worries evaporated in an instant !!

After I settled in at the Hotel, we went off for dinner and had a fantastic hot-pot.......but I dont remember a lot about the food, we were so busy babbling away to each other .

We agreed that I needed an early night so I retired early...alone !!!!!!!!

We met for breakfast and it all began again on the 13th, which is New Years Eve and I was invited to dinner with all the family at her Sisters home,

We  went around Chengdu during the day, did some shopping, some eating ...and a little canoodling!!!

The evening at family home was truly wonderful, what a geat bunch of people who fell over themselves to make me welcome...I was so impressed and somewhat overwhelmed at such kindness and attention...nothing was too much trouble for them and the dinner they put on was stupendous, not least of which were mountains of home-made dumplings........so I stuffed myself to bursting point.

I had brought them all some gifts from Aus, and they were so delighted, and I gave the nephews and nieces red envelopes with 200 RMB each.

At dusk, the fireworks started, and got more, and more frequent as the evening progressd,to the point that at 11.30 pm, the whole of Chengdu was alight with the most spectacular display I have ever seen and heard in all my ife, Almost every part of the City was a blaze of fireworks........utterly amazing...what a celebration !!!!

We left the family home at 1 am in the morning and drove back to the Hotel...where we decided it was too late for Ming to drive home.......the rest of this night is censored !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  but what a night ..........

Today, Valentines day, she wants me to take her to a "Western Restaraunt " for dinner....so I will.

Will post more when time permits...and photos when I can work out how to do it !!!

All is VERY well...cheers Bros

David E

ps...Would you believe that after only one night, the bathroom is filled with womens things hanging to dry....must be a strange Chinese custom as many Bros have posted about this strange phenomena :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Chong

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2010, 10:41:36 pm »
Congrats David,

200 RMB each is very generous.  How is your communication with her family ? Happy to read that the initial meeting went very well. Have a great trip !!! Enjoy all the delicious Chinese food.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:42:19 pm by Chong »

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2010, 10:45:55 pm »
Grats David ! Very well done, I must say ! Everything went smoothly. Haha on Chinese new year we like to hang red trimmings all over the place... perhaps you have some red lingerie brightening up your bathroom?
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2010, 10:48:51 pm »
Almost felt that I was there with you.   Almost felt that I wanted to be there with you.   But written so well that I really felt that I wanted to be there without you but with all the other benefits!!!!!!:icon_cool:

But the bathroom with the womens clothers hanging to dry!!! - why not wait to undress before you hit the showers - sexy yes, convenient no.:angel::angel:

Great story David.   Bit generous with the red envelopes though.  I left that with my wife and she only put between 5 and 10 rmb in each of dozens of envelopes as she explained it is only a token!!!! THATS MY GIRL.:icon_biggrin:

Willy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 10:49:42 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

shaun

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2010, 12:26:42 am »
David,

I am so happy for you.  Great news and all seems to be going well.  Can't wait to hear more.

Shaun

rockycoon

« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2010, 12:49:08 am »
Gotta have pictures...but great story, keep writing and writing....also how many star hotel are you at, and when you get done with the trip let me know about how much the whole thing cost, so I can configure for my trip.

Offline maxx

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2010, 01:04:04 am »
David congradulations.It's nice to hear.You and your lady friend are getting along so good.Pictures and updates are required.