Author Topic: Chinese New Year  (Read 6623 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
Chinese New Year
« on: December 08, 2009, 10:07:27 pm »
Hi guys.  I wanted to give our newer members a heads up about the upcoming Chinese New Year.  Although it is still a few months away, I wanted to start to prepare you for what is likely to come.

Chinese New Year this year falls on February 14.  In China, this is the time when families get together, and celebrations happen.  A large part of China shuts down for at least a week.

For those that have not gone through this yet, and particularly for those brothers who are using the EMF system of chnlove, be prepared for NO CONTACT WITH YOUR LADY.

The agencies will be closed.  The translators will be gone to visit their own families.  Your lady might be gone, if her family lives away from where she works.  You will have no way to contact your lady for at least a week.

She did not leave you.  She is likely thinking about you.  She has no way to get in touch with you, unless you are using personal email, QQ, MSN, Yahoo, Skype, or whatever else.

From my experience last year, and a few of the other brothers will no doubt agree with me, as the same happened to them...Chinese New Year left a few of us wondering what was going on with our ladies.  One member was convinced his lady left him.  My translator did not advise me she was taking a week off.  I just want to warn you guys, so you are not taken by surprise.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:17:19 am by maxx »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
RE: Chinese New Year
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 09:31:34 am »
Thats a good date - can crack three occasions on the same day.  Chinese New Year, St Valentines day and my Angel's birthday.  I suppose I can also make it a fourth occasion but then only if I get a round tu it.  Why save money rolling the other three into one event and then lashing out on a fourth!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

brett

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:28:33 am »
Is there anything special we have to eat for New Year? I didn't like my moon cake, it was horribly sickly :icon_mrgreen:.

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 12:28:51 pm »
You are right Dinger.  A lot of us were wondering what the heck was going on. Didnt realize it was at least a week long celebration.  this year will be fun though as a bunch of us will be there.  Good thought to warn the newer brothers.  
I got my tickets already.  Can't wait.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 12:30:36 pm »
I booked my ticket to China today  so i will be there and no loss of communication !!
Translators of course will be returning home too to visit their families so for those that communicate via emf, go buy some dumplings, bao zi etc your local asian super market and celebrate it at home knowing your lady is happy and if you are doing it right - shes thinking about you!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:42:14 pm »
Remember that Chinese New Year is one of the two "Golden Weeks" of major holidays: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Week_%28China%29

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 01:01:22 pm »
Some more on the Chinese new Year - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 09:35:35 pm »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='25036' dateline='1260372513'

Is there anything special we have to eat for New Year? I didn't like my moon cake, it was horribly sickly :icon_mrgreen:.

Mooncakes are usually served for Mid-Autumn Festival (at least here and in Singapore).  In northern China, they like to serve dumplings.  In Singapore they have a "fish salad" called yue-sang which has been showing up in HK over the last several years.  Basically it's a salad of various vegetables mixed with a sauce...all the ingredients have a special meaning and there is a ritual to it as well.  Some people from HK call it lo-hei.

Not sure what rituals they might have in southern China, but I would suspect longevity noodles would be a safe bet.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

brett

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 03:37:18 am »
Do flights to China get horribly expensive around Chinese new year like they do at Christmas? I thought about going to Hong Kong over Christmas, but the flight costs were horrendous compared to January, so that was a non starter. Midautumn flight costs seemed reasonable when I went to Hong Kong in 2006.

Vince G

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 09:00:59 am »
I'm not sure? The recent search I did seemed that the Feb. prices were fair compared to late Spring (May/ June) which was 4x higher? I gave up for now until I have a better idea when I'll be going.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 09:37:29 am »
My flight which leaves on Feb 10th cost €866 before insurance, last one in November was €575 but i booked that well in advance. The absolute cheapest flight I could find this time was €740 but it didnt leave on the day or time I wanted. So, for me this one will be my most expensive one so far by about €100.
But it's going to be worth it as I will be celebrating the Chinese new year with Sunny and her family and having the big meal etc with them so the extra cost is well worth it. I will officially become one of the family :) Apparently I am to address her mother as auntie and her father as uncle, and when I get married (but not before) they will become mother and father.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:41:23 am by Irishman »

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 12:15:00 pm »
Anyone from the states that is going.  I am telling you to go to www.uschinatrip.com  they have the best fares I have found.  This will be the third time with them.  Never a hitch, cheapest prices by at least $200, and I can fly from a smaller/closer airport for about the same cost.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Vince G

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 01:13:54 pm »
Just checked that site against China Air direct (from NY) about a $100. less (direct). The other flights were longer and went to LA or some west coast stop first. Add in the NY flight from here (about $200?) and it's about the same but less flying time. So I guess it's best to check ALL and ANY way.

David5o

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 03:54:30 pm »
Anyone traveling to China/Hong Kong around Chinese New Year, will be paying premium rates.
They have you by the short and curlies, there should not be any difference in costs, based purely on a rise of customers interest in flying at that time, but hey, ....you all know the airlines!!!! You would think that they would be grateful their flying with full planes, during these economic times but NO, they want to sting you big time too.

Contrary to what Ronan stated, the best prices will be had booking your flights around 3 to 4 weeks max before the travel day. I know this may not suite all, but for those that are not restricted by work restrictions etc and can travel on any day or at any time, can pick up much better deals when you look around the internet....

I have just received an email flyer from a well known site advertising flights to HK for 269 sterling pounds in the new year (excluding Chinese New Year Period of course), can't grumble at that!!! ...haha!!

David....

ttwjr32

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:48:41 pm »
having spent a few chinese new years here before it is also a little
 steep in price to travel within the country as they charge a little more
 on the buses,trains,planes  and be prepared for an enormous amount of
 people at each place. this year Sisi and i are staying home for the new year
 as shortly after that her parents will come to guangzhou to spend a few months
 with us. the rest of her family lives here so we will socialize with them during this time.
 looking forward to my first new year with my new family in china. i havent asked but i
 am sure many things will be going on in guangzhou for the new year.

oh and i almost forgot the hotel prices require serious negotiations during this time