Author Topic: Comfort toilets in China  (Read 2098 times)

rockycoon

Comfort toilets in China
« on: January 31, 2010, 10:37:17 pm »
Wuhan Builds 2 Million RMB Luxury Public Toilet
43 commentsShare  by Duckee on November 2, 2008
On the south side of Hankou Liberation Park in Wuhan, China, one can find a beautiful pavilion of glass and steel amid the trees and bamboo. There is an elevator leading down underground. Where does it go?
To a public toilet.
“Roughly 2 million yuan has been invested in the project, it is the largest and best and most humanised class of public toilets in Wuhan.” (October 3?Qianjiang Evening Paper)
This luxurious “humanized” public restroom was opened to the public at the beginning of 2008 October.
From NetEase, “[2 million RMB humanized public restroom] Built for who?“:
To ordinary Chinese people, the sole function of a public toilet is to provide a convenience for those who “need to be convenienced”. Because people come and go hastily, people usually do not care too much about the restroom’s level of luxury. A 10,000 to two million yuan toilet is of no matter to those who need to go urgently as long, as the toilet is clean and enables people to “finish the task”. According to officials of the Wuhan Sanitation Department Urban Management Bureau, “There used to be a public toilet in this location but it was torn down. Because the toilet would be too near to the park entrance, and to avoid spoiling the green scenery of the park, it was decided that the public toilet would be built underground. Roughly two million yuan has been invested in the project, it is the largest and best and most civilised class of public toilets in Wuhan.” Clearly, the reasons for building a 2 million yuan toilet are ever so grandiose.
But, coming back to the point, two million yuan for a municipal project and the local government is not considered a huge sum. We are not up in arms because Wuhan has built a two million yuan toilet, let alone criticising for the sake of doing so. We are up in arms because what they (the officials) have done is unrealistic and impractical; especially when there are those who are not well off. To waste the hard-earned money of the taxpayers is truly uncalled for. While homes in the city are built higher and higher, public toilets are increasingly scarce. Every person from the countryside who has been to the city has encountered difficulties when needing the toilet, it was difficult to find a toilet when they needed one urgently. If the government used the two million yuan to build dozens of ordinary toilets to provide the masses with a real place of “convenience”, or used the money to improve schools and education and other areas which need funding, many more people would benefit. Why are our public servants not working towards developments that are beneficial to the country and the people? Using the large sum of two million yuan to build a “respectable” public toilet, surely we cannot help but wonder for whom this construction of public toilets is for.

Americans, naturally...

Vince G

RE: Comfort toilets in China
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 11:29:40 pm »
This stories in the Crapper.

Sorry, not trying to discourage you, just had to say it. :icon_biggrin:

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 01:38:37 am »
have you been in the public toilets here in china??
 your better off finding a tree or schrub:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:49:22 am »
Did someone mention toilets!!!! Oh Happy days a whole thread about one of lifes necessities.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

shaun

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:23 am »
Leave it to Rockycoon!!

• Board Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:27 am »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='29984' dateline='1265017762'

Did someone mention toilets!!!! Oh Happy days a whole thread about one of lifes necessities.

Found this sign in the bathroom of my hotel.  Wonder what big surprise was awaiting someone!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

rockycoon

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:50:42 am »
Actually, I thought it was interesting as China is going western style.  No more squatting, and they are finally looking towards the ladies, and putting in more female toilets.  If you will note, the restrooms they are building are more western in nature.  If you want to look at a
culture and how its growing up, look at the restrooms.  It would show to me that they are gearing up for more visitors or they are starting to look at the rest of the world.  More modern so to speak.
The price of the restroom, was 2 million RMB, which suprized me, as it was built like a standard restroom in the USA, which does not
cost that much to build.  Also has flush toilets and under ground sewer system, instead of the current system you guy's are talking about where they come along with a water truck and "flush" the system once a day.  I also noted that there are wash bowls with water and electric hand dryers, and seperate stalls.
So perhaps they are getting modern or starting to think of the health problem, you have without a sewer system and old systems will be a thing of the past.  With that many people in China, it's bound to be a serious health problem.

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:49:23 pm »
:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin: oooh sh ....!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:49:41 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

ttwjr32

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 05:36:46 pm »
they are not doing anything here in Guangzhou to upgrade
and we will have the Asian games here in November which
will bring a large amount of people here from the west for
the games.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 07:16:45 pm »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='30022' dateline='1265063806'

they are not doing anything here in Guangzhou to upgrade
and we will have the Asian games here in November which
will bring a large amount of people here from the west for
the games.

So we have public toilets and soon we will have FANS. I wonder what will happen next :-/
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

• Board Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 08:22:50 pm »
Quote from: 'Rhonald' pid='30033' dateline='1265069805'

So we have public toilets and soon we will have FANS. I wonder what will happen next :-/

Very good Rhonald - I like that.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 02:53:13 pm »
Do you mean hand held...or Chinese ladies?

ttwjr32

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 05:50:27 pm »
hand held  hahaha