Author Topic: Husband or Job Replacement?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Husband or Job Replacement?
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:55:57 am »
Are we prospective husbands or work replacement.

Perhaps I should have gone for a younger age group!!!!

Willy

In China's Hard Times, Matchmakers Enjoy a Boom

Source: www.time.com
By Lin Yang
As a recent grad of the prestigious Central University of Nationalities, Wang Chengzi did not think finding a job was going to be this tough. "I first thought I'd start a career at a law firm with my law degree, but no one seems to be hiring," says Wang, 22. "I've sent out 200 resumes, and I have no response."
And so Chengzi did what an increasing number of twentysomething women in Beijing are doing. She went to a matchmaker. "I thought I'd give it a try," said Wang, who registered at xiaoyuanlove.com, a service that specifically targets women with college degrees. "I will get married sooner or later anyways, and I might as well start looking now. If I find someone I like and who is well off enough to take care of me, I will feel less stressed about not finding a job."
The economic downturn has nearly frozen the job market in China, and the situation for college graduates with no work experience, like Wang, is not looking good. Government statistics released earlier this year forecast that by the end of February only 35% of the 6.1 million students who will graduate from college this year — grads in China usually start the hunt during their last semester — will have found a job. Faced with having to leave campus in two months, seeking marriage as a buffer from temporary unemployment is becoming an increasingly accepted practice among women in their senior year at university. "None of the six girls in my dorm has received any job offers", says Wang, "But one was able to find a good husband. Her parents are really pleased."
Matchmaking agencies across China are enjoying a sudden boom as a growing number college seniors are signing up with for their services. Unlike online dating, the dating through matchmaking industry is mediated through a "broker." People who want to find a spouse go register at a given agency, and the broker will pick and arrange their dates based on their requirements. The first date usually takes place at the office of the matchmaking business. Marriage is still seen as a compulsory step in life in China, and as women get older, they grow increasingly anxious to find a spouse, providing a huge market for matchmaking business. Beijing Marriage Introduction Service, a matchmaking service organized by the official city women's association, has taken note of the sudden increase in college student members. "We have received lots of registration from college girls during the recent months. Many of them are still in school," the company recently told Chinese media. Meeting in Beijing, a 10 year-old matchmaking business catering to the affluent middle class, has seen the same trend.
In some cases, it's other students who are peddling the service. Xiaoyuanlove.com, which translates to "love on campus," was founded by a group of recent university graduates in Shanghai who saw the business' huge market potential. "We spent six months doing market research and campus surveys, and launched on March 1st", says Wang Reman, 23, one of the three people managing the website. "The service is free to girls in college, and we charge male members a fee from 99RMB to 9999RMB to browse through their profiles looking for suitable matches." Within the past two months, the website has attracted about 10,000 members, two-thirds of them women. "The majority of the girls are college seniors, and a lot of them are under job-hunting pressure." One xiaoyuanlove.com ad, placed by a 22-year-old college senior in Guangxi province who specified that her prospective mate should make above 5000RMB a year — and be no older than 38 — read: "I don't need a fancy wedding, and I will look for work to support myself. All I require is that you have a place for me to live!"
Many in China have responded to the trend with indignation. Sociologists, college career advisers and even psychologists have been quoted in Chinese media lamenting the lack of "self-respect among college girls" and their "utilitarian attitude toward marriage." In some cases, the new wave of marriage hunting has even been compared to prostitution. Tang Haibo, Director at Mental Health Education Center in Central South University, thinks the motivation of the girls is understandable, but "the pragmatic approach to marriage as solution to financial difficulties could be disastrous...College graduates have little social experience, and can be very immature about relationship and marriage," says Tang."It is the responsibility of schools and parents to provide guidance."
But not everyone is opposed. Despite the steep price tag of a college education in China, many parents support their daughters' decisions. Some even pick the husband themselves. And those in the business, not surprisingly, have jumped to their clients' defense. "These college girls are no less vulnerable than those laid-off migrant workers", says Wang Reman. "There are girls from very poor backgrounds with struggling families in rural areas... Gender discrimination, together with the financial crisis, is leaving many unemployed after graduation and driving them to despair. These 'experts' are very quick to judge their choice, but have any of them try to extend a helping hand to them?" According to its owners, the website already has a success rate of 10%. "This has nothing to do with women trading their independence for material comforts. For most of them, some extra support is all they are looking for."
As for Wang Chengzi, she is clear about what she wants. "There is no denying that a shoulder to rely on is a nice thing to have at the moment," she says, brushing aside the recent critique that customers like herself have gotten in the press. "I never imagined living a dependent life. I won't give up looking for a job. I just need some backing, emotional and practical, to help me through the hard times."
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:57:05 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

brett

RE: Husband or Job Replacement?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:58:37 am »
There seem to be more and more younger ladies on chnlove. I'd love a 22 year old wife, but goodness knows what my family (and immigration!) would think :icon_cheesygrin:.

Offline Hans

• Once you go Asian you never go Caucasian
    • http://motpol.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:18:54 pm »
Give immigration a scare, Bret! :icon_cheesygrin:

You need to have something in common as well. I am looking for maturity and I'm always a bit surprised when I find it in a 22 year old Swedish girl. Certainly not the average girl, at least not here in "fancy" Stockholm...

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:45:11 pm »
It's not an age thing in the end, that's for sure ... I found less mature women close to my age and more mature younger one's ... my love is 16 years younger but she is more mature in many ways than me, yet she has some of the youth rollercoaster emotions which I find are quite fun ...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 04:45:24 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:30:11 am »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='24951' dateline='1260269917'

There seem to be more and more younger ladies on chnlove. I'd love a 22 year old wife, but goodness knows what my family (and immigration!) would think :icon_cheesygrin:.

And three out of four residents of Essex walking by would say 'look at that dirty old git. you know the english.  And by the time you are 60 odd and she still looked like 30 you will be wondering where she has go to if ever missed a bus or she came home later than planned.    One reason I decided to put off the younger ones that came after me here.

Willy
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 03:31:30 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,