Author Topic: Danny's third trip to China  (Read 11515 times)

Offline Chong

RE: Danny's third trip to China
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 08:33:00 am »
Danny,

As Arnold and Maxx wroted, great patience in dealing with yesterday's events. Hope that you, Ya Ya, your daughter and her family have a great and safe Chinese/Australian X-Mas.

Sunny & Chong

Offline Danny

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 07:03:58 pm »
Arnold, Maxx and Chong, thanks for the encouragement.

Well yesterday was a day to remember. Today YaYa was so affectionate and kind, all my worries from the day before dissipated in a few moments. I even got a few friendly slaps on the arm, as she told me, how could I doubt her love for me? *laughs*

We went out to the Wuhan museum and listened to a performance of traditional Chinese music. Then we went for a walk around one of the Wuhan lakes, near the museum. I tried those red toffee apple skewers, and they were really strange, but good too.

My daughter flopped down on a chair at the lakes and refused to take another step, saying she was bored out of her brain and would have preferred to stay in the hotel room all day. I told her if she didn't get a move on I was going to throw her into the lake. So then she got up and walked along sulkily for quarter of an hour, and then I said to her I was sorry that she was so bored and that I had spoken sharply to her, and she said that she was sorry for being the way she was, and it all blew over.

This was the first little argument I had had with my daughter on my holiday. Usually we get along very well together. While I was a little embarrassed about it happening in front of YaYa, I was glad that it happened, to see what YaYa would make of it. She was a little surprised, but she accepted it. She gave us space to work it out, and then after we had walked in silence for a little while, she talked calmly about something else. She seems to be a peacemaker. So I learned something else good about YaYa.

Then we went out to a restaurant with her family and our relationship was toasted all night. We were clinking glasses and listening to the advice from the older people at the table through the whole meal. I felt so humbled to be treated this way. We were told how life was full of difficulty, so we have to care for each other. That we have to think about each other before we think of ourselves. All the toasts and advice were a bit disjointed after being translated, but it was a very significant night for us as a couple, having our relationship honoured in this way.

At night we played cards at her parents place. It was so lovely there. My daughter had such fun. They were laughing and playing cards for around four hours straight. I am always a little surprised (as someone in the middle of my life) how young and old people get along so well and enjoy each other's company so much. I was so pleased that my daughter had a good time there.

At the end of the night her parents offered to have my daughter stay over at their place. I gladly accepted this offer and YaYa walked me home to my hotel.

It took longer than usual for YaYa to get back home and so this morning I have woken with a smile from ear to ear.

I am a little worried that her parents will be upset about this, but I hope they will not be. In many ways I have shown my good faith (eg organising and paying for the wedding, preparing the documentation for the marriage registry, visiting with my daughter, my gifts, the respect I show them, etc). In my heart I know that I have no hesitation about marrying YaYa and so I do not think that they have any grounds for thinking that I am not a man of my word.

I am sure it will be okay. I sure feel fine *smiles*
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:10:55 pm by Danny »

David5o

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2009, 11:18:14 am »
Danny,

I wouldn't worry too much, in fact don't worry at all, it wouldn't surprise me much, if your daughter staying over at her parents house wasn't pre-planned!!  And i jest not!!...haha!!

You've been accepted by her family Danny, your going to have to really go some to lose that acceptance. Showing your love to there daughter isn't going to lose you there favour, that's for sure, and you can take that to the Bank!!!....

Danny your on a winner all round, Enjoy the remainder of your trip.

David
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:03:40 pm by David5o »

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2009, 12:55:58 pm »
I agree with David.  This really is a new century.  Everyone knows that to cement a serious relationship there must be intimacy.  (even her parents)  I'm sure they all appreciate that you are a gentleman and it's definitely a sign of acceptance from the whole family that they are comfortable with the two of you being alone together.  I think her parents would be more upset if nothing happened.  Opportunity wasted.  Now retain the ability to look her father in the eye, there's nothing to be ashamed of.  (unless she gets pregnant, in which case you're screwed - haha)
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline rhoodtsao

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2009, 03:40:43 pm »
Great update Danny, I'm glad everything's working good for you.
Robin

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2009, 04:37:51 pm »
Wondeful Danny, just kill the smile a little when you meet the parents again :D
Go deep or don't go

Offline Danny

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2009, 07:05:49 pm »
Yesterday she visited me again first thing in the morning, as my daughter was having a sleep-in at her parent's apartment, and that was a lovely way to start the day.

Her parents apparently were a little cross with her, but I think that was more the fact that they were embarrassed about my daughter waiting up until 2am for YaYa to return home (since YaYa and my daughter were planning to share the same bed) and her parents had expected YaYa to return after just a little while.

Yesterday we went back to her parent's place for breakfast and then again for dinner, and they were as friendly and welcoming as previously. So I think everything is fine.  

Yesterday we picked up the translations of all the documents and the photograph we need for the marriage registry. I just love travelling about by bus with YaYa. Yesterday she slept most of the way, there and back. It is so lovely having the woman you love resting on your shoulder, fast asleep.

Unfortunately, no invitation from the parents for my daughter to sleep-over last night, but you can't have everything *laughs*
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:06:22 pm by Danny »

Offline Chong

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 07:26:01 pm »
Quote from: 'Danny' pid='26075' dateline='1261353838'

At night we played cards at her parents place. It was so lovely there. My daughter had such fun. They were laughing and playing cards for around four hours straight. I am always a little surprised (as someone in the middle of my life) how young and old people get along so well and enjoy each other's company so much. I was so pleased that my daughter had a good time there.

Danny ... Was it "High 2's Poker" that you played ?

We do the same here in Kaiping. If it's not cards, it's mah jong. It's so nice to see a family playing games, laughing, eating snacks and ribbing each other. More often, it involves the female groups. Here in Kaiping, Grandfathers and fathers tend to go out on their own and play/smoke/drink with their buddies instead.

Keep up with the great updates !!!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 07:28:22 pm by Chong »

Offline Danny

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 07:43:08 pm »
Quote from: 'Chong' pid='26152' dateline='1261441561'

We do the same here in Kaiping. If it's not cards, it's mah jong. It's so nice to see a family playing games, laughing, eating snacks and ribbing each other. More often, it involves the female groups. Here in Kaiping, Grandfathers and fathers tend to go out on their own and play/smoke/drink with their buddies instead.

It's a game called "landlord", where the whole pack of cards are distributed to each player and the object of the game is to get rid of your cards first. The rules have evolved a lot since we first started playing them. My daughter and YaYa's parents seem to set aside the rules when it suits them and this adds greatly to the merriment of the game *laughs*

YaYa's father enjoys the company of his wife very much and all the time I've ever spent with them, they talk and joke with each other happily. He always treats his wife with respect and kindness and so having YaYa come from such a fine family is another good thing about her I think.

It is good to see how people can live happy and satisfying lives even when they are not well off financially. Of course, I believed that this was possible even before I got to know them, but seeing it done, from day to day, gives me something to think about.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2009, 09:15:27 pm »
Quote from: 'Danny' pid='26154' dateline='1261442588'

Quote from: 'Chong' pid='26152' dateline='1261441561'

It's a game called "landlord", where the whole pack of cards are distributed to each player and the object of the game is to get rid of your cards first. The rules have evolved a lot since we first started playing them. My daughter and YaYa's parents seem to set aside the rules when it suits them and this adds greatly to the merriment of the game *laughs*

YaYa's father enjoys the company of his wife very much and all the time I've ever spent with them, they talk and joke with each other happily. He always treats his wife with respect and kindness and so having YaYa come from such a fine family is another good thing about her I think.

It is good to see how people can live happy and satisfying lives even when they are not well off financially. Of course, I believed that this was possible even before I got to know them, but seeing it done, from day to day, gives me something to think about.

In school, we used to call that chor-dai-di (or Big 2)...
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Chong

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 02:16:40 am »
Now that you mentioned it, my nephew calls it "Big 2" also. He plays back home in Toronto. It's a high stakes game in Hong Kong where the loser [ the one with the most total cards left ] has to pay the top three guys $ 1.00 for each point that they have. Stakes are even higher if you make the denomination $ 10, $ 100 etc etc ... for each point. Mah Jong payout stakes work the same way.

Offline Peter

« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 11:44:25 am »
Danny... It must be a Chinese habit to fall asleep on a bus or in a cab. My wife does this all the time.. She can have a nap of 5 minutes and be rested.. I must try to learn this..
Better to be married to a wife from Changsha then have 7000 women in Chnlove

David5o

« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 11:52:01 am »
Hahaha, ... have none of you ever noticed this about the Chinese?? There favourite pass time is to sleep, and they can sleep almost anywhere!! So a nice comfy bus, and a comfy shoulder to lean on, is almost complete bliss to a Chinese woman ...hahaha!!

David.....

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2009, 03:26:33 pm »
I never really thought about it that way David, but you are right.  I think back and when we get in the cab, 5 minutes from the house, she is asleep.  Even when I jump waiting to get hit by a bus or hit a pedestrian she sleeps through it. lol  She naps almost every day.  I told her that when she gets here I am going to have a Dr. take a look at her to see if she is missing something from her diet.  She keeps telling me she is fine.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

shaun

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »
It must be the noodles.