Author Topic: Do Chinese apartments have a postal service?  (Read 2060 times)

brett

Do Chinese apartments have a postal service?
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:54:53 am »
Hi guys,

I've just realised that I'm pretty certain my lady gave me her work address rather than her home address. If our last QQ conversation is to be believed there is no post delivery to her home address. Is this right? Or would her home apartment just have a central post drop off area that may not be very secure? Perhaps this is why so many brothers get business addresses, or addresses of relatives etc :icon_cheesygrin:.

ttwjr32

RE: Do Chinese apartments have a postal service?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:17:30 am »
my place here has a mail box for each apartment anything that doesnt fit in the
box they call to set up delivery.

Offline RobertBfrom aust

• Sujuan [Yo ] is my tai tai
  • Robert and Sujuan [Yo ] at home .
    • bopads.info
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 05:28:50 am »
Businesses premises are a lot more secure than a lot of apartments , plus it also stops any noseys , very few apartments have a secure delivery area especially for parcels , regards Ying and Robert .
Now it is early to bed and late to rise .
My QQ is   1994376895
For electronics and books etc , check out , www.bopads.info

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 05:40:37 am »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='25492' dateline='1260780893'

Hi guys,

I've just realised that I'm pretty certain my lady gave me her work address rather than her home address. If our last QQ conversation is to be believed there is no post delivery to her home address. Is this right? Or would her home apartment just have a central post drop off area that may not be very secure? Perhaps this is why so many brothers get business addresses, or addresses of relatives etc :icon_cheesygrin:.

I would not want anything delivered to my postbox where I live.  If its Fedex or dhl they bring it up.  The boxes can be opened to easily so very few people use their home boxes.  

They do not have postmen on rounds like we have in the western world.
So everyone around knowswhen mail  has been delivered when the van calls as posted  mail in China is very rare and it is noticable by all and sundry,

Send things to her workd address preferably by signed delivery.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Chong

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 05:53:03 am »
As Ted mentioned above ...

... my apartment has a postal box down by the door entrance. It's a brand new building so there's a security gate. It seems that each building has a main #, block # and apartment # and a name for the particular building ... so addresses tend to be long.

ex. my address is ... apt 202, Blk 1, Building # 22

My in-laws live in a 20 yr old bldg and they get mail delivered to their bldg by motorcycle couriers who call you by the contact tel # and you come downstairs to get your mail / package. Any overseas mail / package has to be signed for by the recipient.

brett

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:08:49 am »
Yes I'll continue to use her work address as everything has arrived there (eventually). I do recall that my lady said something about thieves & burglers being very common in China.

My lady's apartment building is very old, and I don't recall seeing any post boxes. Actually, it was so dark there I don't recall seeing anything much :icon_cheesygrin:.

I did suspect there wasn't much of a postal service in China - in Yichang there didn't seem to be any post boxes and I had to post my postcards in a post office.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 10:16:36 am »
Sunny doesn't have a postal address, the apartment block she lives in has some post boxes just hanging off the front gate but she says they are not safe and there is only maybe 5 of them for a block with probably has a hundred apartments or so. I guess the rest of the residents share the sentiment.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

rockycoon

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 10:52:26 am »
Hey the entire town where I live has no postal service deliverys.  Everyone in this tiny town gets a free post box at the post office,
and you have to come into town to check your mail. Unless you do what most of us do and let it build up for a week....lol
That way, you can throw a weeks worth of junk mail all at one time....he he he
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 10:53:39 am by rockycoon »

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 06:54:15 pm »
I do the same thing here. I have kept a PO Box since moving here.  Safer and you dont have to change your address every time you move.  But, with going to Savannah, I guess I will have to.  My wife does have home delivery,  but hers is safe as it goes to the hospital anyway.  Our apartment also had its own Box, It was pretty secure.  The whole complex was secure.  it had at least 4 security officers around all of the time plus 2 at each gate.  there were 4 gates.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Jimmy

• Soon the Family will be Complete.
  • She Was A Wonderful Wife
    • Jim N Libo
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 04:49:43 pm »
When I send stuff to Li, I send it to her brother in laws job. She always gets it. But then him being a cop I am sure it doesnt hurt any.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 04:50:13 pm by Jimmy »
Jimmy Henson

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 09:35:06 pm »
It depends on where and how nice the buildings are.

When I was in Beijing this summer where I was living there was individual mail delivery with locked mail boxes. It was an apartment complex with 16 buildings. It was all walled in with security and everything. So inside was pretty secure.

There was these hot looking Chinese girls in uniforms guarding the entrances (3 of them). There was always two of them a guy and a girl, the guy would be more the bouncer and the girl would be the one doign the talking. You had to either have a key card from the complex to get in or get authorized by someone living there (they would ask for your Chinese ID or passport and call up to the unit).

Mmmm, those hot woman security guards in uniform... maybe that's why I am here :)