Author Topic: Where's Mr. Bigbutt J  (Read 4107 times)

Offline rhoodtsao

Where's Mr. Bigbutt J
« on: December 18, 2009, 03:29:47 pm »
Does anybody know what happened to him? He took down all his posts and disappered.
rhood

Vince G

RE: Where's Mr. Bigbutt J
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 04:14:03 pm »
Quote from: 'rhoodtsao' pid='25853' dateline='1261168187'

Does anybody know what happened to him? He took down all his posts and disappered.
rhood

I don't know? Something must have pissed him off? I sent a message like the first day? and heard nothing back.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 04:23:05 pm »
Most likely he is either on his way to Changsha, or busily preparing for his trip...I think he planned to be there by 20th December.

David

Offline Philip

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 04:42:55 pm »
Quote from: 'David E' pid='25855' dateline='1261171385'

Most likely he is either on his way to Changsha, or busily preparing for his trip...I think he planned to be there by 20th December.

David

Perhaps it is something to do with the Changsha Love Bridge Agency.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 04:57:00 pm »
OOOOPS !!!!!!!!.......I missed the "punch-line" that he has removed all his posts ???

Not another MLM ???????

David

David5o

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 07:48:50 pm »
Not all of his posts have disappeared, so as Vince stated, something and/or someone has pissed him off..... Maybe it relates to a certain recent thread or threads and reputation giving??

David....
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:49:40 pm by David5o »

Chet Sams

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 10:37:31 pm »
Oh that isnt even half the story for that.

shaun

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 11:43:08 pm »
Neil,

I think abigbutt was trying to make a point.  Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge he never got to make the point.

We are the ones losing here, there is no gain when you consider the loss of him and the wisdom and knowledge he gave.  I think if you had contacted him by PM and discussed your concern you would have a different opinion.

Yes he would kick butt and ask questions later.  Most everyone knows he kicked mine a time or two but I was man enough to handle it.  I didn't get my panties in a wad, I told him the way it was, I didn't have to but I did.

I think it would be better for those involved to make reconciliation and invite him back.

Shaun

brett

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 04:41:46 am »
Meh. I thought his WW2 post in my thread was way OTT. Yes I mentioned that I thought China was gaining the upper hand against the USA as far as economics was concerned, but plenty of his fellow country men (e.g. the ticker guy) are beginning to sound the alarm bells as well.

But I marked him down for dragging up all those ancient posts, that was a wierd thing to do and I got really confused for a while :s.

I guess he'll probably come back - I seriously thought about quitting here last week but you just have to remember there is no 24 hour rule here and sometimes we don't always phrase things as we intended.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 06:17:36 am »
I am getting a bit concerned by this syndrome that seems to be creeping in....

Why does anybody feel it is neccessary to actually give another Bro a down-mark or a negative reputation for something that was posted...why dont we leave that process to the Mods...they do a good job anyway and if we all start sniping at each other by way of giving and receiving negative marks...then that is the start of a slippery slope.

I had some violent disagreements with ABB...but these were restricted to PM's because I did not want such stuff in the open Forum...too counterproductive.

Brett...all of us here have got seriously pi**ed of with some of your ramblings in the past, but I for one never considered giving you a negative rating.....either I ignored your words, or posted something that I hoped would contribute to your thoughts and/or Strategy.

So I make a strong plea/request for an end to Brothers passing judgement via such practices....lets stay focussed, lets stay objective. Lets not get too thin skinned here, because one of our strengths is the ability to say what needs to be said...openly and honestly.

Leave it to the Mods to make sure that the boundaries we have set for ourselves, and the rules under which this Forum operates are managed by the people whom we trust to manage it !!!

DavidE

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 07:26:41 am »
Can we not ask the board of Mods or whatever it is called to do like David E suggests and let them be the ones to deduct reputation points if they think it is necessary.

Newcomers look at these ratings and bear the writings a bit more credence when they are higher - I know I did when I joined up - and maybe that person with the reputation rating can upset a few people and find his reputation in shatters because of a few childish ones that may only come on the cause trouble as has happened in teh past.

So my vote is to remove the right to give negatives and stick to the postives.  

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

shaun

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 07:33:34 am »
David,

I completely agree with what you are saying but how do we keep people from leaving when they are upset like abigbutt.  He is not the first and will  not be the last if there isn't a better method found for handling issues like this.

I know I am not privy to all the information in this case, and I don't need to be, but I stand on what I said earlier, all parties involved should get together and resolve the issues including the mods.  That may be the missing ingredient, I don't know but with the technology we have it is possible for all of them to get together and work it out.

This is the second time since I have been on this site that we have lost a person with good knowledge about China.  Now he is there for an extended period and I for one would like to hear what he is going through.

Shaun

brett

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 08:54:02 am »
Do we actually need this reputation thing? I've seen many other good boards wrecked by it.

Guys - if you think I post some crazy stuff then get yourself over to the official board and see the Shark's latest post, now that's a ramble and a half :icon_cheesygrin:.

shaun

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 09:07:36 am »
24 hour rule...  24 hour rule... 24 hour rule... 24 hour rule...

I'm trying but it is hard to...

Vince G

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 09:20:17 am »
I personally don't care for the Reputation value. It's not an official status and anyone can have a high rating. If you don't have a high rating this doesn't mean what you write isn't interesting or worth reading.

Abigbutt had left before and came back a few days later. I pissed him off on that one. Things heated up and his posts were insulting. I deleted them and gave a warning. He didn't like this? Well? he left me no choice....

There will always be good and bad, agreements and disagreements going on in the forum. Everyone has their opinion and that's what it is.

Can't we all just get along? :icon_cool: