Author Topic: Danny's third trip to China - The clothing debate!  (Read 2219 times)

shaun

Danny's third trip to China - The clothing debate!
« on: December 18, 2009, 07:24:53 pm »
So David,

I have heard you say this about clothing before.  I have no concept as to the pricing of clothing in China.  What kind of money are we talking about?

Shaun
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 11:13:47 am by Irishman »

David5o

RE: Danny's third trip to China
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 07:34:28 pm »
Shaun,

How long is a piece of string?? It all depends on what you want to buy!! I spend anything from 75 to 100 Euros and sometimes more, depends on what i want or need. But the clothes i get for that, ...will fill my suitcase. What do i buy? I buy slacks, jeans, shirts, jumpers, T shirts, underwear, shoes etc. ...Many of the things i buy are knock offs or fake designer stuff!! ...i'm not too proud !!  hahaha!!

David....
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 07:36:13 pm by David5o »

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 08:55:13 pm »
clothing for me is a little difficult as i am pretty big  even the 2xx here
  seems like a large in USA so i need to got to this clothes mall in guangzhou to but clothes when i want to

shaun

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 09:15:58 pm »
First can someone do a split from post #28.  I'd like to run with this clothing thing for a bit.  

David I will be going to China as soon as I can get a few issues resolved.  They are biggies so I am hoping to leave as early as February 1 and no later than April 1.

I thought I would take 2-3 days of casual clothing and them buy about 2 weeks worth once I got there.  It would range from slacks to dockers and jeans and from t-shirts to a few dress shirts.

I just do not have a clue and Peggy was not able to help me because she does not know American clothing.

I know I am asking a lot because of differences in style we might have but if I could get a round about percentage off of USD or  Euros.  I would like a ballpark to aim for.

Shaun
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:17:41 pm by shaun »

ttwjr32

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 09:53:55 pm »
shaun,

what part of china are you going to? here in Guangzhou i see a vast
difference in prices and it all depends were you are. the malls a very expensive unless
they have a percentage off. i was in a small mall were the grocery store is and i saw
some sweatshirts for   3 for 100 rmb i was fortunate to see they had xxxx size which
fit me but in the USA i wear a xx size  so i was able to buy 3 that day so it just depends
were you are at.  so i guess just look around were your at and you will find some inexpensive
clothes.

shaun

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:30:03 pm »
Ted,

I will start in Shenzhen and the way it looks right now we will end up in Shaoguan.

David5o

RE: [split] Danny's third trip to China
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 09:46:40 am »
Shaun,

That's basically the amount of clothing i take with me.
OK, .... the size thing, i would ask Willy and/or other Americans about equivalent sizes. If your a big stature you may have trouble finding your size. I can't be sure on the bull park figures right now as i'm 2 years out of date and prices may have risen some. What i can tell you is, that the best deals are in the street markets and the old indoor markets. Peggy will know where these outlets are in her city. Where shoes are conserned, i just try a pair on that looks around the right size and go from there!!  lol!!
The other thing is that slacks and jeans normally come in one leg size, and they take them up for you there and then (no extra cost) That is sometimes not available at the street markets, but it costs next to nothing to get them taken up at a local tailor or dressmaker or the like!! I can't remember actual prices of all the items i buy, but can remember Jeans and Slacks being around the 10-15 euro mark for what i found to be, good quality stuff.... What i can assure you is, you wont find cheaper in the states. But don't go the the high class malls (or even some of the more costly supermarkets) in China, there you will be stung, but big time!! ... haha!!!!

Hope this helps you a little....

David....
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 09:48:13 am by David5o »

shaun

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 09:55:27 am »
David,

Thanks.  It helps.  I can begin to talk with Peggy about it before I go.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 11:13:07 am »
In the Paul Merton series about China he got a suit custom made in Shenzen, I wonder how much that cost?
Sunny tells me there are plenty of tailors in GZ that will do it too. If its not western expensive I fancy getting a custom made suit for our wedding :)
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

brett

RE: Danny's third trip to China - The clothing debate!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 11:22:18 am »
I thought clothes were cheap in China until I took Miss Wu shopping for coats ha ha ha :icon_cheesygrin:.

I didn't buy anything in mens clothes stores, but we did notice that street vendors were selling Nike socks for an absolute steal :dodgy:.

David5o

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 11:46:37 am »
Ronan,

Don't just think suits, ....also think about shirts, Sport jackets, leather Jackets etc, ...All can be custom made to measure at very, very reasonable money. Same rules apply, Never go to the up-market malls, you can find just as good in the local tailors.

David....

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 12:21:34 pm »
Thanks David, I like the idea of acting the posh git with my fancy custom made suits and shirts don't you know !

David5o

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 01:02:00 pm »
Ronan,

We westerners tend to think along the lines that it's always expensive to have made to measure clothes, so when we do, it's normally a suite. In Asia it's different, when they want things for a special occassion or they can't find what they want, they tend to have it made to measure, and it's not always a suit!! If it's not knitted, you just go to your local tailor, or a leather goods tailor. It's very much the same in Hong Kong, the home of the 24 hr made to measure suit. But the days of the 24 hr suit there has long since passed ...lol!!

All i'm long windedly saying is, ....you don't have to limit yourself to a made to measure suit, as just about anything you want made to measure is available to you.... lol!!

David....

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 01:17:02 pm »
You know what i always wanted - custom made shoes!
It always takes me ages to wear in shoes to my foot shape, I'd get a kick from having my own custom made shoes , maybe i have a hidden foot fetish or something :)
Hmm, i wonder is that possible?, not asking much eh.

David5o

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 01:21:38 pm »
Ronan.....

Not at all, and yes it's very much available in China. .... Pretty much as everything else is!! ...haha!!

David...