Author Topic: guangzhou chinese new year  (Read 3359 times)

ttwjr32

RE: guangzhou chinese new year
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 06:29:22 pm »
my first trip to China in 2003 was during the chinese new year and i
 was just amazed at the people when i traveled. its a wonder i came
 back after that. as you dont really know till you experience a new year
 here. i do believe the chinese living abroad come home and there is now
 2 billion people here navigating around outside :icon_cheesygrin: just
 totally amazing. i am now going to enjoy my 4th new year here this year
 and i am looking forward to it.

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 03:39:31 am »
I was in Guangzhou last year for the celebrations, stayed at the White Swan Hotel.

They organised a River cruise to watch the fireworks....bloody freezing standing on deck to watch.

Problem was, they moored the boat downwind of the fireworks display and after 10 minutes we were enveloped in a huge pall of gunpowder smoke which left 2000 people on the boat (I think it was built to carry about 500 people ) coughing and choking their lungs out for the next hour....what a night !!!

David

ttwjr32

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 04:05:29 am »
David  that sounds about right on the ratio  500/2000  hahaha

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 04:07:54 am »
Quote from: 'David E' pid='27940' dateline='1263199171'

Problem was, they moored the boat downwind of the fireworks display and after 10 minutes we were enveloped in a huge pall of gunpowder smoke which left 2000 people on the boat (I think it was built to carry about 500 people ) coughing and choking their lungs out for the next hour....what a night !!!

David

Similar to restuarant we went to here and that was caused by tobacco smoke - and the spitting, coughing and gobbing lumps of god knows what on the floor.   I will have to speak to Angel about her Granny!!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 05:07:37 am »
I will add one more piece of "Chinese tortuous logic" to my Guangzhou adventure....perhaps somebody who is cleverer than me can explain what it was all about:

I booked at the Hotel for 10 days....on day 6, they said that I would need to move rooms as my room was booked for one night to another person !!!

After this one night in a different room, they advised that I could move back to my previous room for the rest of my stay.

On the appointed day, the bell-boy came to help with my luggage which I had spent some time in packing and getting sorted out. He then proceeded to move me to THE ROOM NEXT DOOR...which was identical to the room I had vacated !!!!!

I went down to reception to query this strange state of affairs....and would you believe, as usual when things get embarrassing, nobody could remember how to speak English...so I just went with the flow and had a few beers !!!

But I still puzzle what it was all about  :s:s
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:08:50 am by David E »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 05:18:03 am »
Quote from: 'David E' pid='27952' dateline='1263204457'

I will add one more piece of "Chinese tortuous logic" to my Guangzhou adventure....perhaps somebody who is cleverer than me can explain what it was all about:

I booked at the Hotel for 10 days....on day 6, they said that I would need to move rooms as my room was booked for one night to another person !!!

After this one night in a different room, they advised that I could move back to my previous room for the rest of my stay.

On the appointed day, the bell-boy came to help with my luggage which I had spent some time in packing and getting sorted out. He then proceeded to move me to THE ROOM NEXT DOOR...which was identical to the room I had vacated !!!!!

I went down to reception to query this strange state of affairs....and would you believe, as usual when things get embarrassing, nobody could remember how to speak English...so I just went with the flow and had a few beers !!!

But I still puzzle what it was all about  :s:s

Perhaps a couple wanted to go back to the same room that they had their first night of marriage in!!     But probably the guys wife specially requested it as a one yuan coin rolled under the bed last time they were there and she wanted to have another better look for it.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline David E

• David and Ming
  • Board Moderator
  • My favourite photo
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 06:04:23 am »
I think you probably got it right Willy...when I got into the room first up, there was a small packet of tissues left in the bathroom that was not "Hotel issue"...maybe they booked up for one night so that they could get their tissues back....!!!!!

Its as good an explanation as I have heard so far :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

David

ttwjr32

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 10:51:02 am »
David E,

sometimes its best to not try and figure it out here in China
i quit doing that about 2 months ago and i am doing a lot better hahahah