Author Topic: Understanding Chinese Women  (Read 30882 times)

shaun

RE: Understanding Chinese Women
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 05:13:11 am »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='28694' dateline='1263887057'

i was always told "why are you going to china again" even after i have told them
 of my adventures here and what i have seen ,many people in the states at least
 think of china a a backwards country and at any given time you will be picked up
 and thrown in jail. yes it is a little different here on everyday life but i told them
 learn the culture and listen to me when i tell you what it is like there dont come
 up with this perception you have of the country basing it on whatever you have
 read or heard. especially on the news because when was the last time the news
 would report good things?? they look for the sensational to report not the good
 also     most of the time

Ted,

For those of you who are educators please do not take offense by what I am about to say but, I think we can blame government education system on that.  That is what is taught; even now.

brett

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 08:45:17 am »
Hi guys,

Hardly anyone knows what China is really like. Heck, I met my lady in Wuhan, a thriving city the size of London yet 99% of Westerners have never heard of it. Even less people have heard of Yichang, and since I was the only Westerner there I guess I have to act as it's ambassador to the West!

On another board on which I frequent fed up American folk are starting to talk about not buying Chinese goods so that more jobs can't be exported to China. The thing is - it's too late. China is moving up the value chain faster than most folk realise. My lady doesn't work in a factory making iPods or sells bananas from the back of a truck. She's an interior designer. That's a decent middle class job.

Thanks to the drug smuggler execution/tibet/Google stories, my mum thinks that 50% of the population are secret police and the other 50% are hackers lol. She seems not to have noticed that our own government is suppressing free speech by banning muslim groups and lying through its teeth about what really happened in Iraq.

Actually, there's a program about Shanghai on the mainstream ITV1 TV channel tonight, it should educate a few more people as to what China is really like.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 09:23:53 am »
When I said I was going to live in China people in the UK were warning me of the perils - of being cheated at every turning.

Where are these cheats and robbers - after 7 months the most that has happened to me is that I have picked up a few counterfeit notes - less than 10 GBP ound value altogether.

You want cheats and corruption then spend 6 months in Nigeria like I did.  Every one is on the make there and I mean everyone.  Not just to foreigners but to each other.

Right up until I got on the plane to go back to the UK I experienced it.

Even going through the security check - all bags and cases were searched unless you was to hand over a wad of Naira.  Not clandestine in any way,  the customs and security literally asked you if you want to pay or to have bags searched.  No one knows what goes on planes to London and other cities from there.

Give me China every day - like the second day here when the taxi driver chased after me and handed me a note because I had not collected my 1 yuan change from him!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 09:38:09 am »
Hmmm don't buy anything made in China to save jobs in your own country? We've had that trend in the 90's here in France, but there is no achievement perceptible, the French industry has evolved, many production sites got delocalized and not only to China. But if we stop buying Chinese products, many more jobs will be lost, for instance Walmart would go out of business, and I think they are the largest employer in the (Western?) world.

The preconceptions about China being a backwards country seem to be based purely on economic development and political system. What people forget is that Chinese culture reaches back far further than ours, and even the cultural revolution could not break this. So while average Chinese still have a lower standard of living than populations in the Western world, they are far from being savages, and they have a higher average IQ than Caucasians :P

China is already the most powerful country in the world, they hold the formerly most powerful country in the world by the cohones :angel: as they are the main contributor to finacing that country's huge trade deficit since Japan dropped out after the banking crisis of the mid 90's there.

The fact that Chinese think collective rather than individualistically like we do will make them even stronger in the future, unless that culture is broken by Western influence, but I don't see that happening in the short term.

Frank
Go deep or don't go

ttwjr32

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 12:10:37 pm »
i dont really think the culture will be broken by any or all
 western influence because they are curious and want to learn from us
 but they do stick to their values and culture which i have seen to not
 be a bad thing from living here and in fact it has changed some things
 in me and how i act and percieve things  yes you do see some strange
 things here but i will say that overall it is a very safe country to live in
 and can be very rewarding if you keep your eyes and ears open and dont
expect it to be like home  ok my 2 cents worth :icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Danny

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 03:46:21 pm »
Quote from: 'brett' pid='28712' dateline='1263908717'

On another board on which I frequent fed up American folk are starting to talk about not buying Chinese goods so that more jobs can't be exported to China.

People don't realise that it's not a zero sum game. Everyone benefits when there is an increase in wealth in one country. When Chinese people are richer than they are now, they will buy more high value products from other countries.

David5o

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 04:31:45 pm »
I can second that, on what Willy said about Nigeria, .... They do say, ...if you drop an atom bomb on Nigeria you'll do about 50 pence worth of damage!!  haha!!
Another similar country would have to be Egypt, which i've been visiting quite regularly just lately on business. I tell you, ....if it's not tied down (with chain preferably..lol!!) it's gone in a blink of the eye!!

David.....
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 11:36:34 pm by maxx »

rockycoon

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 03:23:24 am »
I've often wondered how they got all those blocks  to build the pyramids,  It shows that the blocks wern't chained down....hahaha:icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:24:32 am by rockycoon »

ttwjr32

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 11:57:59 pm »
Danny a lot of people just dont get it and ramble on with points that
make no sense at all

like i have been doing here - my 600 post  i need to find something to do
in china while my wife is at work

David5o

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2010, 10:04:36 am »
Ted,

Go out exploring, they'll be a hell of a lot to see, that you didn't know existed!! There are always fascinating places of interest you will just come accross by accident....

David

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 01:37:54 pm »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='29024' dateline='1264136279'

Danny a lot of people just dont get it and ramble on with points that
make no sense at all

like i have been doing here - my 600 post  i need to find something to do
in china while my wife is at work

Ted, when I met you there last time I was struck by how much of a people person you are. I remember you having the craic with the sales girls in Beijing street when we were there and how amicable a guy you are in person.
I reckon you would have a blast teaching English, the money wont be great but you will have a lot of fun I'm 100% certain!

Get the damn TESOL and start to enjoy your days again while your wife is working.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

ttwjr32

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2010, 06:35:21 pm »
i said that in jest  (finding something to do) i usually do all my reading and
 posting here when my wife goes to sleep. i do venture out and see and find
 many interesting things out there. ive even taken my wife to a few places
 she didnt know. i dont get lost anymore  hahaha

ttwjr32

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 10:05:54 am »
Ronan,
yea i remember the sales girls where we were at. i did have fun with them
but they had such great smiles i had to make them laugh

Offline Lee357

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 05:06:54 am »
I do not claim to be an expert on Chinese culture. I do think I may have a thought about the article cited in this post. I have traveled all over China  and I found that in most places this article seems to be talking more of the early fifties at the latest in China. Although in many North east small farm communities it is fairly acurate in its assessment. I do say though it is most definately incorrect about the current culture in the bigger cities in the north and most if not all of the south of the country. I say this based on my travels through China and it is only my opinion of what I personaly saw there during my travels. There is a definate income and social status gap in China between men and women but there is also a larger one in America so I dare not throw stones. I have no idea about the rest of the world so I have no opinion on that either, I will leave that up to those who live in different countries to speak on them.
Does it matter to the bird if an apple is Red or Green? Or does the bird just care that the apple is sweet.

ttwjr32

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 11:13:52 am »
Lee,

there is a significant difference between women and mens salaries in china
and the younger girls push the older ones out more often than not here.
a lot wider gap than in the states