Author Topic: What more do I need?  (Read 16222 times)

Vince G

RE: What more do I need?
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2010, 10:41:36 am »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='29607' dateline='1264668458'

Wonder what it's like going over 200 mph on land?

I've done 155 mph but I was driving so I wasn't relaxing watching out the window. I was watching the speedo making sure the needle didn't break off (had a post on it). Could have gone faster. :icon_biggrin: I love things with speed, always did. It's almost the same as any high speed but the slightest wrong move and your gone. On a rail? It must be easier then driving.

brett

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2010, 11:05:57 am »
Wow, great photos. You will make a nice adoptive mom and pop for me, there's no way my real parents will make it to my Chinese wedding!

Er, Changsha station looks very nice but is this even the same country that Wuhan Hankou station is in?

The travel process sounds like the Japanese Shinkansens. Actually most Japanese trains have the orderly queues in front of where the doors will be when the train arrives. I hope the new trains are as interesting to travel on as the existing old diesel operated services.

Actually I see they are building a new station in Yichang, but I need to find out if there is a connection from Changsha or Wuhan. My lady claims to not know anything about the new bullet train station they're building in Yichang, but the the station is so far from the city centre that I guess it's well hidden lol.

rockycoon

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2010, 02:34:19 pm »
Vince the only time I went that fast (and faster) was in the navy on a Phatom and you could not see much, specially with the afterburners on.  Scared the crap out of me.

On that train willy, at that speed, I doubt you got to see any sights, just blur.  Wow that is fast for a train.  Is it on rails or magnetic rail?
Like BART out in SF.  Got 3 rails and is electric.

Offline Philip

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2010, 02:52:33 pm »
Some more Changsha station pics

David5o

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2010, 03:21:34 pm »
rockycoon,  

There overhead catenary fed electric trains, 3rd rail pick-up can't cope with these sort of speeds.
Basically these trains are very similar to those found in France and Germany. French and German companies are involved in the design and supply of technology for China's so-called bullet trains along with Japanese companies.

The First Bullet/high speed train scheduled service in China was in i think 2003/4, many have since come on line, and the programme as far as i can remember continues through to 2020, but will probably be ongoing after that date, albeit at a slower pace. The highest speed trains in China are 430 km/h
and i believe China holds the highest world train speed record....

David....

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2010, 05:01:00 pm »
Willy and Mrs Willy my heartfelt apologies to you for my late CONGRATULATIONS...

Please MRS Willy, DON'T learn that LONDON TALKING.....God it's awful isn't it???.....LOL

Seriously though all the best to you both:icon_biggrin:

shaun

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2010, 06:24:38 pm »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='29642' dateline='1264707259'

Vince the only time I went that fast (and faster) was in the navy on a Phatom and you could not see much, specially with the afterburners on.  Scared the crap out of me.

On that train willy, at that speed, I doubt you got to see any sights, just blur.  Wow that is fast for a train.  Is it on rails or magnetic rail?
Like BART out in SF.  Got 3 rails and is electric.

Now Don, you forgot the time you were abducted by aliens, flown to Mars and stuck all of those medical probes in places we will not mention on this site.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2010, 09:28:49 pm »
Quote from: 'Philip' pid='29644' dateline='1264708353'

Some more Changsha station pics

One other thing - you do need to wear sun glasses on bright days as that floor is so glossy.  And ladies do not wear short skirts on that station - the floor is very revealing!!!!!!  thats why you need the sunglasses guys otherwise you will go blind :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2010, 11:28:43 pm »
leave it to willy to think of this:icon_cheesygrin:

Vince G

« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2010, 12:10:22 am »
Sunglasses? I'll wear binoculars?

Offline maxx

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2010, 12:22:23 am »
Willy probably glued mirrors on the tops of his shoes.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:22:57 am by maxx »

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2010, 04:07:31 pm »
What'd I miss, what'd I miss?

Sorry for being late, too busy with the ladies I guess ...

CONGRATULATIONS! To you and Mrs Willy of course, I hope you two will be happy for a multiple of the initially planned engagement period!

Oh for the train geeks :icon_cheesygrin::

World speed record for a train on rails is the French TGV with 574,8 km/h on April 3rd, 2007. AND IF there were not so many bloody strikes over here those things would actually be on time too. Unlike Changsha and GZ, the train stations for TGV are mostly downtown, so it beats flying by a milestone. Paris - Marseille in 3.5 hours, you can't do it with a plane between check-in, queuing, flying, waiting for luggage + transfer on both sides. The Chinese have the highest average production speed record (as in usual service with passengers)

Pic of the record, notice the dust in the back, allergies anyone? :icon_cheesygrin: No passenger cars either ...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:10:16 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2010, 11:32:45 pm »
Thanks to all who sent their wishes to my wife and I.  It does not seem like I have been living here for 7 months now.

Well it is down to real family life now.  Arrived home from Changsha and found that Mrs Willy's father had made the trip from Hunan to attend a grandaughters wedding.  So he has stayed with us for three nights.  83 and very lively - I hope that i am that good when (if) I get to that age.  (Just wish when he got up at about three every morning he would not flush the toilet.)

Now tomorrow we are off to Shenzhen for a couple of days to attend the elder sisters, youngest daughters wedding.  

Just need to sort out the Public Security Bureau official in Hengyang who was obviously looking for a back hander to issue a passport to my wife and all will be good.   Lucky she is not wanting one to move to UK just want to spend a couple of weeks there later this year visiting my sisters and friends.  So there is no rush.

Com'on you UK members own up - who got a Blue Peter badge for train spotting?    Not you Rob - we know that you did not get yours until you was way past 40:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2010, 04:44:05 am »
He Willy go and see the Shark and Josh while in Shenzen...lol

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2010, 07:56:13 pm »
Willy, congrats man. I hope you a happy and good marriage. Or in Chinese, 88! So you're in Changsha eh?