Author Topic: What things are bargains in China?  (Read 13207 times)

Offline Oiler1

What things are bargains in China?
« on: January 19, 2010, 05:32:35 pm »
What things are cheaper in China to buy?

I need some new eyeglasses and wonder if I bring my prescription to China, I can get a good deal?

From personal experience, I know clothes are cheaper in China. In the smaller cities things are usually cheaper than the large cities.

I looked into buying a unlocked cell phone but didn’t buy one. I should have bought one there in retrospect.

I do not know about computer related stuff but there seems to be a lot of knockoffs of iphones etc.

What bargain are there in China that you have found in your travels? Do they often have big sales there?

Offline UK Mark

RE: What things are bargains in China?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 06:16:53 pm »
I got percription glasses in Shanghai for £60 and Sissi got Percription Sunglasses for £40 , i think the price was fair for the quality but i think not really much cheaper than the UK , except of course if you wanted fake prada etc

Blueray dvds going rate is 5rmb
Wii games (need US or JAP machine (hacked)) 5mb
Designer Belts, wallets , cufflinks  (fake) 35rmb approx

I thought computer gear was a little more expensive in China than the UK .. from what i saw in Shanghai and Shenzhen

Things like R/C Helicopters very cheap
Cigarettes (hate em) 90rmb 200 marlboro (from the airports(beware of fakes))
Dreams can come true

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:19:13 pm »
Glasses are much cheaper ... just make sure you get good quality.

IT: I bought a 2.5" 320GB drive from Western Digital (Caviar Blue, passes the manufacurer ID and works within the specs, so no fake) with an external Hitachi housing for 400 rmb in November (lowest retail in France was 800 rmb, noname product and Toshiba drive which I dislike).

Laptops are a lot cheaper if you type on a QWERTY keyboard. I use a French keyboard so no dice.

Phones are cheaper unless you go for Nokia or Sony, prices are pretty close to the West. The iPhone knock off with wifi and 3G works better than the original (dual sim, faster cpu, longer battery life), I saw them for 850rmb all over the place ... and for additional software, please go to iTunes :D :D, and I kid you not, the phone has the original iPhone 3GS operating system, decent cameras too (front and back).

Clothes are cheap but brand clothes are knock-offs, same for shoes, althought I wonder if they're not the original brand shoes? They're really well made (Eider and co...), I'll get a couple of pairs next time.

If you have kids, spy pen with USB camera, records 4 hours, 110rmb, or key ring camera looks like a car remote with ccd quality, about 250. Dirt cheap MP3 and MP4's. Little RC helicopters in all variations from 150 to 550 for the mother of RC helicopters, I wish the carton was a bit smaller though. PSP games (knock offs, they work), Blu Ray movies for 25rmb which work (only 720p or aven lower), all kinds of Wii/PS2/PS3 Xbox etc accessories, I do have a problem with a PS3 gamepad which won't work with ours, so be careful or better try it if possible. Oh and kids clothes of course.

As a Laowai you will always be quoted a high price, so you're in charge of the "sales". Negotiate tough but always with a smile. The more expensive a store looks, the more expensive it is, so avoid the large luxury malls if you're bargain hunting.

In Shenzhen for electronics, take the metro to Hua Qiang Lou, follow the crowd (I believe exit A, but follow the crowd if Im wrong) and once you surface in the street, you'll get to a huge shopping artery by turning left. On the opposite side of the road is big building (almost sky scraper) labeled LGS or something like that. In there you have 6 or 8 huge floors of electonics. The competition makes prices low, and floors are specialized by type of product. The ground floor has electronic components, but as you take the escalators, you will find anything you want. Prices will be straight off among the best, not like with isolated shops. One recommendation, decide before going what you want to buy, window shopping will take up most of your time in China there, they have a lot and it's displayes randomly. THey have digital translators of course, sorry I don't remember which floor, and you'll see the floors are quite big as well, so happy hunting.

For clothes, still coming out of the metro follow the crowds onto the main shopping artery. After on block on that street on the left, there is a hall with little shops in front. It's a discount clothes market, huge and good deals (not the stuff in open air, go inside, don't be scared).

Once you're tired, there is a starbucks on the same side a bit further away :D

There is another big shopping area more for clothes and apparel (no large sizes) called Dongmen street, get out at Lao Jie stop and follow the signs for Dongmen. When you get out, memorize your surroundings or you will never find the metro again, the area is huge. As usual, follow the crowds.

Last one would be Luoho Commercial center, Luoho metro station, huge building with all the brand knock-offs you can imagine, + toys and electronics, gifts and much more. I did not like the atmosphere there, and prices start ver high, bargain to at lest 50% and leave if they don't play. Sunglasses should be 80-150 rmb max for instance.

Quote from: 'UK Mark' pid='28743' dateline='1263943013'

5rmb for DVDs or Bluray?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:28:35 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline UK Mark

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 06:29:52 pm »
Bluerays in Shanghai 5rmb .. in the shops i was looking at .. it was frustrating because i wanted normal DVDS but they didnt have them , Sissy bought herself a few.

Are the DVDS / BLUERAYS usually good quality ???
the Wii games i would say 7/10 work from experience but at 5rmb cant complain [/u]

Quote from: 'Voiceroveip' pid='28744' dateline='1263943153'

Glasses are much cheaper ... just make sure you get good quality.

IT: I bought a 2.5" 320GB drive from Western Digital (Caviar Blue, passes the manufacurer ID and works within the specs, so no fake) with an external Hitachi housing for 400 rmb in November (lowest retail in France was 800 rmb, noname product and Toshiba drive which I dislike).

Laptops are a lot cheaper if you type on a QWERTY keyboard. I use a French keyboard so no dice.

Phones are cheaper unless you go for Nokia or Sony, prices are pretty close to the West. The iPhone knock off with wifi and 3G works better than the original (dual sim, faster cpu, longer battery life), I saw them for 850rmb all over the place ... and for additional software, please go to iTunes :D :D, and I kid you not, the phone has the original iPhone 3GS operating system, decent cameras too (front and back).

Clothes are cheap but brand clothes are knock-offs, same for shoes, althought I wonder if they're not the original brand shoes? They're really well made (Eider and co...), I'll get a couple of pairs next time.

If you have kids, spy pen with USB camera, records 4 hours, 110rmb, or key ring camera looks like a car remote with ccd quality, about 250. Dirt cheap MP3 and MP4's. Little RC helicopters in all variations from 150 to 550 for the mother of RC helicopters, I wish the carton was a bit smaller though. PSP games (knock offs, they work), Blu Ray movies for 25rmb which work (only 720p or aven lower), all kinds of Wii/PS2/PS3 Xbox etc accessories, I do have a problem with a PS3 gamepad which won't work with ours, so be careful or better try it if possible. Oh and kids clothes of course.

As a Laowai you will always be quoted a high price, so you're in charge of the "sales". Negotiate tough but always with a smile. The more expensive a store looks, the more expensive it is, so avoid the large luxury malls if you're bargain hunting.

In Shenzhen for electronics, take the metro to Hua Qiang Lou, follow the crowd (I believe exit A, but follow the crowd if Im wrong) and once you surface in the street, you'll get to a huge shopping artery by turning left. On the opposite side of the road is big building (almost sky scraper) labeled LGS or something like that. In there you have 6 or 8 huge floors of electonics. The competition makes prices low, and floors are specialized by type of product. The ground floor has electronic components, but as you take the escalators, you will find anything you want. Prices will be straight off among the best, not like with isolated shops. One recommendation, decide before going what you want to buy, window shopping will take up most of your time in China there, they have a lot and it's displayes randomly. THey have digital translators of course, sorry I don't remember which floor, and you'll see the floors are quite big as well, so happy hunting.

For clothes, still coming out of the metro follow the crowds onto the main shopping artery. After on block on that street on the left, there is a hall with little shops in front. It's a discount clothes market, huge and good deals (not the stuff in open air, go inside, don't be scared).

Once you're tired, there is a starbucks on the same side a bit further away :D

There is another big shopping area more for clothes and apparel (no large sizes) called Dongmen street, get out at Gang Xia stop and follow the signs for Dongmen. When you get out, memorize your surroundings or you will never find the metro again, the area is huge. As usual, follow the crowds.

Last one would be Luoho Commercial center, Luoho metro station, huge building with all the brand knock-offs you can imagine, + toys and electronics, gifts and much more. I did not like the atmosphere there, and prices start ver high, bargain to at lest 50% and leave if they don't play. Sunglasses should be 80-150 rmb max for instance.

Quote from: 'UK Mark' pid='28743' dateline='1263943013'

5rmb for DVDs or Bluray?
Dreams can come true

ttwjr32

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 06:33:16 pm »
just about everything is cheaper in China if you look around.
 but you do have to be aware of fakes. you can negotiate the
 price and do it having fun and you usually get the price changed.

one thing i have noticed is that computers are about the same here
 and you really dont get that negotiated.

also keep in mind to ask for your gift when you buy something.
just ask what will you send and they go to the back and bring
out all kinds of stuff.  example: when i bought my scanner/printer
                                           i got a package of photo stock
                                           paper,  2 packages of paper,
                                           and a towel? didnt get the towel
                                           as to why that but it was 4 gifts
                                           Ted

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 06:45:10 pm »
Quote from: 'UK Mark' pid='28745' dateline='1263943792'

Are the DVDS / BLUERAYS usually good quality ???
the Wii games i would say 7/10 work from experience but at 5rmb cant complain

Ok I got Laowai'd then hehe, by the way the iPhone 3GS fake was a non negotiated price.

The DVD's are usually single layer, they work but the quality is not as good as the originals. The Bluray I got (Cloverfield) to try was very good and played both on PS3 and a Samsung player, I think it was 480p but quality was way better than a normal (official) DVD, will get a bunch next time, although all extra features and bonuses will be missing :D

Wii games you can download, there is a SD card crack hack which you can easlily do yourself, so I didn't bother. But at 5rmb it's really not worth the download wait I guess.

Oh and they have knock-off PSPs for less than 400 rmb, but they don't have wifi.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:49:29 pm by Voiceroveip »
Go deep or don't go

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 08:10:48 pm »
I really need a cell phone. Should I buy in Hk or Shenzhen? The iphone 3GS seems like a good deal. Is it useable in North America?

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:29 pm »
The best bargin by far is getting a Chinese wife. They are priceless and hold their value. Good Will Hunting for that priceless Gem :heart:

Now where did I put that two-for-one coupon :huh:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:43:17 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline chen yan

• http://chenyan19851010.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 09:50:22 pm »
The fake iphone only cost 300RMB in Luohu commercial center, my friends bought for her seven years old daughter .
And it was broken after two weeks.

The good quanlity blue ray disk is put into a hard plastic box and cann't be lower than 25RMB,But you still can find they are some blueray disk which pack simply only sell 10RMB,It is not bad also
Love ,Joy ,Peace~

ttwjr32

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 02:05:59 am »
i buy the 10 rmb blue rays and they work great

chen-- only good for 2 weeks?? wow thats not good

Offline Danny

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 04:04:20 am »
I found that genuine brand name clothes and electronic goods are more expensive in China (Wuhan) than you can get in Australia. My daughter only wanted genuine goods and so she ended up taking her spending money home with her and spending it back in Melbourne.

brett

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 04:36:35 am »
Generally I didn't think China was that cheap. DVDs were cheap. Blue Rays were also cheap, but the ones I bought were actually DVDs!

Jade was expensive. Green Tea was expensive (but worth it).

Clothes were cheap, but not that much cheaper than home. Do not take your lady into a designer boutique :s.

The tourist stalls on our boat trip were quite expensive and sold absolute junk. My lady ordered me not to buy anything in the 3 Gorges Dam gift shop.

I bought a talking calculator in a Wuhan supermarket. It was cheap but I can't understand its dialect :icon_cheesygrin:.

If you want a wierd gift to take home, get some of those cucumber flavour potato chips :s.

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:12:27 am »
Quote from: 'chen yan' pid='28758' dateline='1263955822'

The fake iphone only cost 300RMB in Luohu commercial center, my friends bought for her seven years old daughter .
And it was broken after two weeks.

The good quality blue ray disk is put into a hard plastic box and cann't be lower than 25RMB,But you still can find they are some blueray disk which pack simply only sell 10RMB,It is not bad also

Wow 2 weeks? The one with wifi, EDGE, 3G, HDSPA, capacitative screen and all? There are all kinds of versions of that copy. The one I saw looked well made, it reminded me of CECT phones which work well by enlarge, and there was a good review of it somewhere, I can't find it again ... there is also a version with TV but without Wifi.

For a phone to work in the US, it has to be CDMA compatible. Most sellers will know how to advise you.
Go deep or don't go

Offline dude

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 10:37:18 am »
Name brand electronics...camera's, laptops, are the same price or more expensive compared to prices in the U.S...more often on the expensive side...I found this in Wuhan, Shenzhen, Hong Kong and in Changsha. Other cities may have cheaper prices but I doubt it. I don't recommend buying electronics here in China! I can build or find computers much cheap in the U.S.!!!

Offline Cam

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:55:30 am »
My little 10" laptop/notepad was about 400rmb cheaper in Aus for the identical computer but I found accessories like web cams etc are much cheaper here in China, clothes seem to be much cheaper if you don't care about brand names but stay away from the big stores, hunt around the outskirts of where they are and you can bargain them down. I bought a re chargable dog clipper with attachments yesterday for 110rmb, well under half the price I can get on ebay in Aus.