Author Topic: Chinese New Year Tradition  (Read 4860 times)

ttwjr32

RE: Chinese New Year Tradition
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 11:36:48 am »
Frank,

you could bring a red envelope for me when you get here
and i will buy the beer.:icon_cheesygrin:

rockycoon

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 11:42:18 am »
The money thing has me really confused.  I thought that Red envelopes were only given out during marrage and fireworks were for the new year, however it looks like from what you guys are talking about, you also have to give out Red envelopes during the new year also or there will be a lot of fireworks !!???:s

ttwjr32

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 11:45:46 am »
that about sums it up. but you could also give the red
 envelopes and at night go see the fireworks at a park

David5o

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 11:48:42 am »
rockycoon,

The Red Envelopes are used at anytime to give a monetary gift. It's just a Chinese thing when they give money as a gift. It's bad manners to give money directly. I would imagine that every household in China has a pack of Red Envelopes in a draw somewhere....

David

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 12:27:41 pm »
I'm gonna go to one of the Asian supermarkets in town tomorrow to se if i can get some lucky envelopes with some English writing on them as well as Chinese, I bet they will get a kick out of that.
Good /bad idea?
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 03:09:15 pm »
I think as long as they're red, it's ok ...
Go deep or don't go

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 04:39:20 pm »
I dont have a problem giving the kids a little bit of money nor giving Mama a bit of money, but I refuse to give the rest money.  I get the gist that they expect a lot.  And yes Neil, I do give her money each month to help her and I already pay Qingqing's tuition in School. And I pay for Gina's English class and I paid for Qingqings plane ticket to Wuhan for New Years.  So I believe I have given enough.  It just seems to me that her family is always wanting something from me.  I just had never heard of this custom before and my wife would not have even brought it up if I hadnt pressed her about why we arent going to Wuhan.  I do feel bad about it though. There again, let sleeping dogs lay.  Right David? lol
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

David5o

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 05:07:55 pm »
JimB,

If your talking to me, then ''Yes''!!  If you keep giving and giving, then what you give no longer is going to be regarded as ''Special'', and can in fact, become as you stated ''Expected'' from you... And that's not a particularly good position to find yourself in!!!

David.......

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 05:35:25 pm »
Yes, David, I was talking to you.  remember about the Red Envelope for the wedding?  It hadnt even come up until I brought it up.  It created a big uproar at the time.  Now I pressed about this and it got to me again.  So from now on, no more questions.  Just get her out of the country as fast as possible.  
She is great, she wasnt going to mention it,  she just said we were not going to Wuhan and that she is the boss in China.  She never really asks for anything for herself.  If she asks it is always for someone else. Damn, she is special and I do not want to blow this.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 08:47:54 pm »
Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='28823' dateline='1264008461'

I'm gonna go to one of the Asian supermarkets in town tomorrow to se if i can get some lucky envelopes with some English writing on them as well as Chinese, I bet they will get a kick out of that.
Good /bad idea?

Well, if you can't get red, get gold coloured ones...or a combo of both...
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline chen yan

• http://chenyan19851010.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 09:37:12 pm »
I can receive the red envelope until I am 20 years old and start to work.And after that every Spring festival I have to give a little money to my mom as a gift to thank you for her rasie me up. And that's right ,you only need to give the red envelope to kids and older grandparents when you visit the relatives after you married.
Love ,Joy ,Peace~

ttwjr32

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2010, 11:27:42 pm »
ok for the members coming in feb  keep in mind i could be your grandpa   hahahaha

Offline Voiceroveip

• Frank for you
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 06:38:13 am »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='28870' dateline='1264048062'

ok for the members coming in feb  keep in mind i could be your grandpa   hahahaha

Hehe, I'm not married, thanks for the info Yan :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Does mental age 15 qualify me for receiving red envelopes? :angel:
Go deep or don't go

ttwjr32

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 09:37:41 am »
yes i think that qualifies you Frank to recieve red envelopes

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 06:53:43 pm »
Ok, I have heard of the red envelopes before. I even had an explination of the red shoes for a bride. But there are red and gold envelopes that you can use? Does this get you more "brownie points" with the relatives?:icon_biggrin:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:54:45 pm by Bee964 »
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.