Author Topic: China proposes law to ban eating cats and dogs  (Read 6174 times)

rockycoon

RE: China proposes law to ban eating cats and dogs
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 11:30:39 am »
Plucking a chicken is such a messy job, tried it once and it's overrated, feathers everywhere.  Then I felt so bad about the chicken, I couldn't eat it.  Rather get them from the store. :s

Offline Chong

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 03:58:59 pm »
Quote from: 'Cam' pid='29910' dateline='1264948741'

Wow, those chickens were expensive, I asked at one of the many chicken/duck stalls around where I live and the total cost after you choose the chicken is only 13rmb plucked and ready to take home, but going by the chicken you get in restaurants ( I hate when you have to constantly spit out bits of blood bone) they are probably all old boilers, and when I do get around to buying one I'll be telling them to keep the feet, head and neck.

Where abouts do you live ?

My wife said that 35 RMB is pretty cheap. A normal chicken from the Bird Market here in Kaiping will cost 40-50-60 RMB for a good quality farm bred. You're right, 13 RMB birds are probably 'old boilers' or 'hormone injected' plump birds. Don't forget to tell them to keep all the intestines and other gross interior parts.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 03:59:40 pm by Chong »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 04:05:50 pm »
I know I am late getting onto this thread, but I am with Ronan on this one.  I also ate dog in Hunan Province when I was there on the last trip.  I also ate turtle soup, cooked centipedes, snails, and also wild mouse on my first trip.  Food is food, any way you look at it.  Certainly I would never eat the family pet, but these animals are not the family pet.

ttwjr32

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2010, 06:07:59 pm »
mmm the only way for me is to not know what it is while eating  
the knowing would stop me i guess

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 11:14:57 am »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='29810' dateline='1264830107'

Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='29763' dateline='1264791988'

when I drive home in my car i probably squash and kill countless bugs flying and walking. I hit a deer a couple of winters ago and that was pretty messy. Regularly I come across fox remains splattered across the road, once a sheep and that was real messy

That's because you guys drive on the wrong side of the street? By the way can any tell me why (I do Know)?

Back to the trend, Most other countries eat things that another doesn't seem fit. I just see it that way.

I used to work in an automobile assembly plant. I'm retired now, 12/31/09, and we only just started to build righthand drive vehicles. We were told why in a class this driving on the "wrong" side was but for the life of me I can't remember right now. I will try to contact one of the instructors to see if he can remind me.

Dave
I have 2 pet cats. I could not eat them. Even in starvation mode. One is sitting on my lap as I write this. He is a great companion. I have had dogs too. I would rather starve than eat them. My step fathers family has an Elk farm. Had elk burgers for the first time in october. Better than beef burgers in my opinion. I have had moose, black bear, pheasant, deer, wild turkey,... used to go to wild game dinners in the 1990's. I would not be able to eat cat or dog. Guess I better tell my lady this too.

Dave
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:53:59 am by Bee964 »
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

ttwjr32

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 12:10:40 pm »
the origin of this goes back to how people traveled in violent feudal societies. most people are right handed
so it made sense to travel the way were your weapon was between you and someone whom you might be in
danger from. knights held their lances in their right hand so they traveled on the left. france was the first to
overturn this because Napoleon was left handed and he wanted his weapon to be between him and any opponent.
so he had his armies march on the right. i think today only britain and some of their former colonies are the only
ones who drive on the left along with japan and thailand.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 12:41:49 pm »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='30278' dateline='1265303440'

the origin of this goes back to how people traveled in violent feudal societies. most people are right handed
so it made sense to travel the way were your weapon was between you and someone whom you might be in
danger from. knights held their lances in their right hand so they traveled on the left. france was the first to
overturn this because Napoleon was left handed and he wanted his weapon to be between him and any opponent.
so he had his armies march on the right. i think today only britain and some of their former colonies are the only
ones who drive on the left along with japan and thailand.

I'm pretty sure this is the reason the instructor gave too, now that my memory has been jogged. I remember it had nothing to do with driving. And yes, all the right hand drive units were for former british colonies. We didn't build any for Japan, US auto company selling vehicles to the Japanese and all...
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Vince G

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 08:05:25 pm »
Ted wins the boobie prize.

knight's lances were on their right so they traveled on the left. They forwarded this tradition to auto's.

ttwjr32

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 03:09:56 am »
im so old i remember that from my childhood Vince :icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 03:19:16 am »
So why did Americans drive on the right originally, who decided?
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

ttwjr32

« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 03:32:04 am »
they didnt Irishman that was changed around 1760 i think

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 05:32:51 am »
The Chinese are true gourmets - they eat anything on 4 legs, except the table :icon_cheesygrin:
Now isn't that so very egalitarian? Now if you didn't know what you would prolly enjoy eating em too.
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2010, 07:44:40 am »
Or 6 legs, or 8 legs, or no legs at all!! Hahaha.

ttwjr32

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 07:32:40 pm »
that is true  eat first ask questions later:s

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2010, 06:22:15 am »
My daughter is into cooking. She had me watch a program competition of chefs prepare 3 different dishes. I think the show was called "Master Chef". One was fish, don't remember what fish though, one was snake and the third I don't remember either. Sorry about the bad memory. The fish was prepared quickly and had to be served to the customer while still moving. Same with the snake. This may be a japanese deliicacy or whatever but there would be no way I would be able to eat that. Not still moving on my plate. I just remember seeing the fish moving on the plate as well as the snake. And no, they were not raw. The chef had fried the fish. Yes, it had been cleaned too. Took a while before I had fish again though.

Dave C