Author Topic: My fourth Trip  (Read 9553 times)

ttwjr32

RE: My fourth Trip
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 05:49:47 pm »
enjoy the time and post some pics for us to see

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 02:56:33 am »
I have landed in Tokyo/Narita.  Will never fly Northwest again.  No entertainment centers in their 747's and the stews are all over 60 and ill tempered.  Seriously one looked like a freakin vampire.  she had so much white powder on with blood red lipstick. They do everything on the cheap too.  Nothing but KAL for me from now on.  I can never sleep on the plane anyway but this was miserable.  I was in the very back of the plane and the one movie screen was 40 rows up and of course all 7 footers sitting in front of me. i am going to try to change to Kal for my return.  i know it will cost me, but it is worth it.  Right now i am waiting for Gina to come on QQ.  Talked to Dinger a few minutes ago.

Chonger, Son, it does seem funny how fast time flies some times.  Gina and i were just talking about that.  we have only been married 6 months but it really seems longer than that.  but when you look at waiting for her Visa, it seems like forever.

I was going to wander around Narita but they are having some sort of thing here and are keeping us with tickets in the boarding area.  dont know what is going on, but am not going to push it.  I am tired and if I start, i will probably end up in the clink.  They make you pay for the internet here though.  Unlike Seoul and no real comfort areas here like Seoul either. so all in all I will take Seoul over Narita.

Will post again in a couple of days.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline zook144

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 06:17:48 am »
Jim,
I was trying to book Northwest or Delta for my trip next month. After reading your post, glad now that I didn't get it done. However, I did book United. I have a feeling it could be much the same.  I'll be going to Narita also, before going on to Beijing. I'll let everybody know how United works out.   That is if I ever get out of Chicago.
Don
The Journey Is The Destination

ttwjr32

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 01:06:21 pm »
Jim,

sorry to hear about the flight. usually when you have a bad flight at
least you can flirt a little with the good looking stewardess but i guess
that didnt even work in your favor

Offline maxx

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 06:46:15 pm »
Sarge sorry to here that.I had a good time last time I had a lay over in Narita.

Don United sucks.But it is always cheaper then the rest for me.

Offline zook144

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 07:06:12 pm »
Quote from: 'maxx' pid='30328' dateline='1265327175'

Don United sucks.But it is always cheaper then the rest for me.

Thanks Maxx,
Something to look forward to.:icon_sad:

Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline JimB

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 08:15:49 pm »
I am here in Beijing.  Long flight. Could not sleep at all.  So as soon as we got to the hotel I took a shower and crashed.  Gina is great as usual. Doing everything to make me comfortable and to take care of me.  Not crazy about the hotel.  The elevator doesnt work and we are on the 3rd floor.  Very small room, but it does have a king size bed, a western style shower, toilet, internet and is clean so i cant gripe.  Only $34 a night. We are going to relax today to help me get my body clock changed.  Tomorrow we have dinner with younger brother, his wife and Suzie Q. Then go from there.
 The smog is down to almost nothing but I still coughed like crazy last night.  Today is better. Will let you know what is going on.

Jim
By the way, that includes breakfast.  

By the way. paperbus does not work from Beijing.  does not connect to any of the proscribed sites.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 09:13:17 pm by JimB »

ttwjr32

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 09:20:54 pm »
i have always had good experiences with united out of san francisco
larger comfortable plane, pleasant chinese stewardesses who being i
cant sleep on the plane on the late flights kept me filled with coffee and
snacks while they chatted with me in their space of the plane were they
prepared everything. i always enjoyed the chatting with them as we talked
about china and the usa. and i had the movies available in the headrests of
the seats in front of me. i think it was air china who just leased planes from
united but ot sure?

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 10:28:21 pm »
Jim,

Which hotel are you staying at?  At that price, I'm guessing a business or economy hotel.  Depending on where in Beijing, I would recommend something like Jinjiang Inns.  Pretty clean, double or queen size beds.  Internet (you have to have your own laptop) is free.  Only issue is that the rooms look like they're not the newest.  But it's decent and it's around the same price.  Someone also recommended Super 8 to me, but I've never tried them before.

There is also a new series of hotels call Bestay (my girl recommended it as she just stayed at one).  Quite cheap (~120RMB/Night).  Not sure how good they are though, but the rooms seem quite small.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline JimB

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 01:48:46 am »
I am not really griping about it.  At the price I am paying it is well worth the money.  It is called the 7 Days Inn, it is in the 4th ring.  Pretty convenient.  Wal Mart directly across the street.  big mall wthin a 10 minute walk.  All sorts of restaurants within easy walking distance. KFC and Pizza Hut across the street also.  The only thing is it is out of town a ways in the 4th Ring.  For me it is perfect as my wife works here at the hospital.  It is about a half hour to Tiannemon Square by taxi, but only costs about 30 RMB.

Days inn Forbidden City is about a 15 minute walk to the Square and Forbidden city, Nice place.  I have stayed there before.  It is about $65 a night.

ttwjr32

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 02:46:14 am »
havent been touring in bejing yet but we are going there this summer
will have to remember these ideas as paying a lot for a hotel isnt a good idea
all you do is sleep and shower in them rather have more money for the outside
adventures

ttwjr32

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2010, 07:37:03 pm »
i also heard they are using the olympic places for special displays. like the birds nest
stadium right now has a chocolate theme display which would be interesting to see the displays
and you can try your hand at making something out of chocolate. will close when the
weather gats warm and i guess another venue will take its place

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 08:57:29 pm »
4th ring?  Ouch.  Definitely try some of those other places.  The Jinjiang Inns that I stayed at was off of Changchun St. (100 meters from the subway station of the same name).  Very convenient.  I have also been hearing good things about the Jinjiang Inn at Tian Tan (and same for the Bestay there).
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline JimB

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2010, 07:28:56 am »
My wife got called in to work tonight.  (She is the senior surgical nurse on staff.) So I have been cruising the site.  It is snowing here in Beijing, a light snow but snowing none the less.  we were supposed to go to Shanghai but things did not work out that way so we are staying here for New Years.  Cold and snowy.  I am glad at least this is not vacation time as I have none so the time isnt wasted.  Finances are the only thing I have to worry about now.  I hate to sell any stock right now as I would take a beating on it.  Trying to hold on long term to recoup at least my initial investment.  But you never know.  A couple of my banks went under, I will get my money back but it takes a long time for FDIC to come through.  So it looks like a part time job when I get back.  My retirement takes care of me but does not leave a lot for traveling and staying here for a month or two.  Hopefully her visa will come through in a few months time and she will be with me there.  I am planning on us doing the four corners of the US on the Bike in 2011.  That will give her a good look at the US.  I would like to visit a couple of the brothers then also.  I am really looking forward to that.  Need to get Qingqing hooked up first, LOL.  When she is made up she looks quite beautiful and has a models body.  I think she could do well in the US.  She does OK here.  Already has an agent.  She hasnt told her father that she is leaving here yet for the US.  gina has full custody so she doesnt need his permission to leave with her. Besides she is almost 18.  She has finally, I think, come completely around to me.  Knowing I will not take all her mothers love away from her.  I wouldnt say she loves me, but, she likes me enough now so we can live together.  Once we get to the US though her spoiled days are through. i kid you not.  She is in Wuhan with grandma and her boyfriend and will come to Beijing to stay with us for my last week here.  I brought her a couple of gifts so she is happy with me for the moment.  
Speaking of gifts.  I gave my 5 year old niece a backpack that she wanted,  it said American Princess on it.  but her mother was looking at it and on the inside it said, "Made in China", she started laughing.  I just groaned.

ttwjr32

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2010, 07:41:54 pm »
that is to funny JimB i have had that happen to me a few times
and we all laughed about it. So i started to bring uncirculated
paper money and various coins with me and they love that:icon_biggrin:
that goes over very well