Author Topic: Trip to Beijing  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
Trip to Beijing
« on: February 08, 2010, 11:32:07 pm »
We are planning a trip to Beijing after the New Year and spring holidays are well passed.

Anyone any info on good hotels in the city that are convenient for getting the tour buses to the various tourist locations.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
RE: Trip to Beijing
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:38:27 pm »
Willy: are you going to sites inside Beijing or outside? All the major Beijing tourists spots are accessible via the metro (or short cab from the metro).

If you are taking time to go on bus tours outside, most tourist agencies will only pickup inside #4.

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 12:05:11 am »
all these years coming here i never went to Bejing  can someone
explain the rings to me??

rockycoon

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 12:21:54 am »
Willy, I don't know how to get there, but will try to look it up.  But this place is in a back alley, looks like a pizza place with huge brick oven and makes probably the finest Peking Duck in all of china...unbealievable dinner, inexpensive.  Will try to find it for you.  When are you going, and how long do I have to find it ??

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:26:16 am »
From Tiananmen Square going outwards, Beijing is circled by a set of circular (well, supposedly) belt ways. Counting outwards you have the second ring road, the third ring road, the fourth ring road, the fifth ring road, and the sixth ring road. The bigger the number the futher away you are from the Square. A lot of Beijiner's use the number as a measure of how far away you are.

When I was in Beijing in October 2009, tourist companies will pick you up for day or multi day tours outside of Beijing (eg. Great Wall, Chengdu, etc). But they will only pick you up inside of the fourth ring road. If you are living outside of the fourth, then you have to meet them somewhere inside the fourth.

Wikiedia Article

P.S. - Yes, I know you want to ask what about the first ring road? Doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 12:29:36 am by RegnisTheGreat »

rockycoon

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 12:47:09 am »
BEST PEKING DUCK IN BEIJING
 Li Qun Roast Duck Restaurant
BEIJING, CHINA
By Susan Jakes

Posted Monday, November 15, 2004; 21:00 HKT
Unless you live in its birthplace, Peking duck tends to be a minor extravagance—a dish just for celebrations and nights out. But in Beijing, you can have a platter of juicy duck, pancakes, leeks and hoisin sauce for as little as $4. And it rarely disappoints. As connoisseurs of their local dish, Beijingers love to debate the merits of convection roasters over peach-wood ovens, or to quibble over sauce recipes. But the truth is, it's all pretty scrumptious. Indeed, it's often the setting that distinguishes a truly transcendent Peking duck from the merely excellent.

Most of the city's hoarier establishments serve the dish with such reverence that visibly enjoying it can feel as unseemly as laughing at a wake. That's why eating at Li Qun is such a joy. Located in a ramshackle courtyard a few blocks south of Tiananmen Square, Li Qun is hardly genteel. Smoke from the oven wafts over diners, and the din of clanging woks is constant. But the raucousness only throws the refinement of the duck into relief. The pancakes have a chewy pluck, the sauce is the perfect mix of sweet and smoky. And the duck? Well, it doesn't get any duckier than this.

There you go Willy, enjoy one for me....mmmmmm

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 01:01:04 am »
Or you could go to the two oldest restaurants...

Bianyifang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bianyifang)

Quanjude (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quanjude)

I've been to Quanjude (the He Ping Men one)... not bad, although I wish the skin was not so thick...and if you go there, take a picture with the duck outside...forgot to do it when I was there and my friend keeps reminding me to.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 01:06:00 am »
Willy, I am in my fourth trip to Beijing. tell me what you want to do.  First off there is a good hotel called The Days Inn, Forbidden City.  About 65 usd a night.  15 min. Walk to Tiannemon square and the Forbidden City.  2ndly the hotel has a number of tourist buses that will pick you up there.  So going to the different places is easy.  there is a nice inexpensive restaurant, right across a little street from the hotel.  Good food and cheap.   Anything more just ask.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 01:34:41 pm »
I stayed at Home Inn.  www.homeinns.com  My rate was $43usd a night.  I stayed at two different locations.  They were both very clean and very helpful staff.  It was my very first impression of China and it is a lasting one in how they treated me.  

I cant't remember what restaurants i went to.  

I hope that helps a little.
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

ttwjr32

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:08:32 pm »
lots of good info here for a trip to bejing   thanks

Offline zook144

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 10:34:06 pm »
Willy,
Glad you started this thread. I should be landing in Beijing the night of March 6. Heading to Handan the next day by bullet train (according to Sha), but plan on returning to Beijing the following weekend to see some sights. All this info is coming in handy.  Any chance you'll be in the city at that time?

Don
The Journey Is The Destination

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 11:01:19 pm »
Thanks to all for the info.

I did not know about the rings.  So that is a new one on me and good advice.   Thanks for those who have given hotel details.

I am not looking to go there before June or July at the earliest but I do like to plan ahead.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,