Author Topic: What do these say?  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
What do these say?
« on: March 17, 2010, 12:45:55 pm »
My mother had purchased these when they went to china some 22 years ago. She has asked me to see if some of the chinese members could tell her what the characters say in the pendant. She did have it written down but has misplaced the paper. I have included both pictures because one way is backwards and I don't know which way is. Thanks in advance.

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline odysseus007

RE: What do these say?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:52:05 pm »
Quote from: 'Bee964' pid='34826' dateline='1268844355'

My mother had purchased these when they went to china some 22 years ago. She has asked me to see if some of the chinese members could tell her what the characters say in the pendant. She did have it written down but has misplaced the paper. I have included both pictures because one way is backwards and I don't know which way is. Thanks in advance.

Dave C

On the right, "fu", good luck. All good things. Not to worry.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:57:04 am by odysseus007 »
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Proteus

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 03:09:03 pm »
They are beautiful.:fi_lone_ranger:

The first picture shows the front side. Dave has explained "fu". The other one is "shou", which means longevity.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:35:13 am »
Thanks guys. My mother thanks you too.
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 01:50:10 am »
Quote from: 'Bee964' pid='34893' dateline='1268886913'

Thanks guys. My mother thanks you too.

Dave, when you get here, I will show you a building that is actually named "Fu Lu Shou".... exact same words, each represented by a certain deity, and the words in extra large size. You can take a photo for your Mom, she's gonna be tickled pink ! They usually sell them 3 figurines in a set of 3.

Fu Lu Shou (simplified Chinese: ???; traditional Chinese: ???; pinyin: Fú Lù Shòu) refers to the concept of Good Fortune (Fu), Prosperity (Lu), and Longevity (Shou). This Taoist concept is thought to date back to the Ming Dynasty[1], when the Fu Star, Lu Star and Shou Star were considered to be personified deities of these attributes respectively. The term is commonly used in Chinese culture to denote the three attributes of a good life.

Origins & photos here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fu_Lu_Shou
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:55:43 am by odysseus007 »
Men are great thinkers coz they have 2 heads (just don't think with the wrong one!) & women are great talkers coz they have 2...:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:18:15 pm »
Thanks Larry. I would love seeing the building. I am guessing that I have to get my mother a third charm from my trip! Hahaha. The first thing on my agenda for my trip is to get an electronic translator for my lady. People here say they still use them in their relationship. I have had a couple QQ sessions with her and I can see that I will still want her to have one. If I manage to not close the message box by accident, I have trouble understanding her cultural sayings. This is just me though. I did send her flowers the other day and she was really happy about that. I will send her flowers just before I leave. Two weeks from today I will be meeting her! I am starting to sweat now!!!

Dave C

ttwjr32

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:22:57 pm »
Dave,

just relax and have a fun and rewarding trip

dont forget to send all of us flowers for all the
great advise   hahahahaha

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 08:32:22 pm »
Quote from: 'Bee964' pid='34955' dateline='1268957895'

Thanks Larry. I would love seeing the building. I am guessing that I have to get my mother a third charm from my trip! Hahaha. The first thing on my agenda for my trip is to get an electronic translator for my lady. People here say they still use them in their relationship. I have had a couple QQ sessions with her and I can see that I will still want her to have one. If I manage to not close the message box by accident, I have trouble understanding her cultural sayings. This is just me though. I did send her flowers the other day and she was really happy about that. I will send her flowers just before I leave. Two weeks from today I will be meeting her! I am starting to sweat now!!!

Dave C

Hey Dave,

The area Larry is talking about is actually near where you're staying.  And is also near the electronics mall that I mentioned before (Sim Lim Square).  It is also near a baazar which is quite full.

Really hope you enjoy yourself.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline odysseus007

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 02:44:29 am »
Quote from: 'Bee964' pid='34955' dateline='1268957895'

Dave C

Don't worry. Will help you get one of those gizmos in Sim Lim or elsewhere.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 11:36:54 am »
Don't send flowers to often else she may get the impression that you are not too careful with your money!!  The Chinese are the greatest savers in the world and they need to be sure that they will be secure financially with you.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 02:23:04 pm »
very true Willy they will take a look at your spending habits very carefully

rockycoon

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 01:34:24 am »
Send the flowers to willy....:icon_cheesygrin: