Author Topic: Willy's dreams  (Read 8345 times)

shaun

RE: Willy's dreams
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 08:16:13 pm »
Petrowise, I know we have it good compared to other countries.  My comment wasn't about the price so much as it was about the promises made from the current administration.  I was have a little fun at Don's expense.

But since we are talking about the price of gasoline and how much higher it is in other countries, if we paid as much as England or China it would completely destroy the American economy.  There are a few factors to consider. American can still be considered a rural nation compared to an England or China.  It is not uncommon for a person to put 100 miles on a car each day just commuting to work and back.  Couple that with the fact that we also do not have the mass transit systems that other nations do.  The county in which I live has a mass transit department that is less than 10 years old and we used glorified vans.  There isn't a bus, other than the school system, that exists for public transportation.  Our school buses are 1/2 empty because many parents prefer to take their children to school.

If we were to just up to $4.00 or $5.00 per gallon the school buses would fill up about a month later as parents give up the luxury of taking their children to school.  For the record I paid $2.52 per gallon this morning for fuel in my SUV.  Am I lucky?  You bet.  Can I afford it?  Heck no.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:17:07 pm by shaun »

David5o

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 08:25:02 pm »
shaun,

Same here, we have no metro system and no trains of any size on the Island (and no plans for any either) ..lol!!
We rely only on the roads with Buses, and taxi's as a public transport means. So most, if not all families  use cars to get around Cyprus.... Oh and virtually all the taxi's here are the bigger Diesel Merc's some of them are of the stretched type.... used a lot for communal inter-city travel....

David.......
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:49:30 pm by David5o »

ttwjr32

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 08:26:54 pm »
Shaun,

all the years i worked for the oil company and c store chain my fuel was paid for thru my
corporate card but when i retired i was probably the biggest complianer becuase i had to
now pay for it  hahahhaa  when i needed fuel for my personal vehicles i just drove them to work and
took them home filled up. but with freinds and family i would always volanteer to drive so as to
not have them spend money for fuel. thats what i miss most in china driving  hahahaha

but your right about the transportation system there it really does stink and they need to look
at that instead of some of their other pet projects they waste money on

ok back to my corner lol

rockycoon

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2010, 12:13:30 am »
But since we are talking about the price of gasoline and how much higher it is in other countries, if we paid as much as England or China it would completely destroy the American economy.

So you are saying that England and China have a better economy to support high gas prices than America?  In otherwords, in these
countries, they make more money than us?

Thought, America was the fat cats, but will now bow to England and her RICH people (this also goes for Canada) :icon_cheesygrin:
They must get fantastic gas milage or walk a lot.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:30:02 am by rockycoon »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 01:02:45 am »
UPDATE ON PRICES.

UK Government being asked to stop increase due on 1st April.  Petrol (Gas) is due to rise to 1.2 GBP a litre that is $1.80 a litre multiply that by 4 and a bit and you get a gallon.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

rockycoon

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2010, 04:07:27 am »
No wonder England has lots of 4 cylinder engines....don't see how in the heck you limey's can afford to drive at all, unless your
all friends with Bill Gates....:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

shaun

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2010, 04:55:14 am »
Me thinks the fuel prices are adjusted to fit the economy and usage in a nation.  It is funny but the smaller and more compacted the nation is the higher the fuel cost is because the less they use.  It isn't logical but think about it.  Show me it is not true.  But what is logical about the oil industry?

David5o

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2010, 12:54:24 pm »
Shaun,

Most of the gas (fuel/petrol/diesel) price in the UK is actually tax, and nothing to do with the oil companies. I forget what sort of percentage the UK tax is on pump prices, and it is High!!! But i'm sure there are others here that ''WILL'' know ...lol!!!

David........

rockycoon

« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2010, 09:22:34 pm »
Queen's gotta get her's....:icon_cheesygrin:

shaun

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2010, 09:49:23 pm »
David, The American Government gets the highest percentage of profits in gasoline prices.  Somewhere around 30% while the oil companies get 11%, and do all of the work.

David5o

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2010, 01:22:08 pm »
Shaun,

I think you'll find that they have a much higher tax rate in the UK on petrol/diesel at the pumps than a misery 30%!! .....Think yourself very lucky !!   hahaha!!

David.......
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:22:41 pm by David5o »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 05:16:51 am »
Tax on fuel in UK is currently running at 69.9% for Deisel and 67.9% for petrol according to the Financial Times.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

rockycoon

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 02:09:41 am »
Willy and Shaun, ether you make a fortune over there in the UK or the queen is really having her way with you.  That much tax
on fuel, wow and I thought it was bad here.

shaun

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 04:40:03 am »
If the general public knew how much they were paying in taxes they would have their own tea party.

rockycoon

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 10:06:18 am »
When I was in Canada several years ago, I noticed that the taxes were pretty stiff up there also as compaired to the United States, so
I would guess that it's for everything up there.  Food, tobbaco, fuel, and anything else they can think of.  Wonder what they spend
the tax dollars on that causes them to rape the people of their money so much?  Perhaps it's because they have fewer people?
and need to make up the difference?