Author Topic: Bank of China bank card  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Oiler1

Bank of China bank card
« on: March 12, 2010, 05:09:27 am »
Can someone explain to me how a B of C debit card works and how they charge fees.

I opened a savings account in Zhongshan and used the debit card without charge. Now I am in a different city and I found out I cannot withdraw 1203 RMB in my account with the debit card.

I managed to wd 800 RMB. Next day my account balance was not 403 but 393!

No one here at the B of C speaks English so I cannot ask them correctly what their debit card fees are. I am guessing if you use the debit card outside of the branch where you opened your account there is a service charge each time. Can someone confirm this?

Sigh.. this may mean to make my balance zero, I may have to withdarw all my money the next time I go to the bank and end up paying a fee because I am not in Zhongshan anymore.

It's a small amount but still, I like to know confirm what their service charges really are. Can someone who knows this bank please explain it to me?

It's great to have a debit card, but the next tijme I should reserve use for emergencies and use in only the city I got it from (I think)?

Offline Oiler1

RE: Bank of China bank card
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:14:12 am »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='34124' dateline='1268399447'

Oiler,

when you open your bank of China Account they charge you 5rmb for the
savings book and 5 rmb for the card which might explain why your difference
is 10 rmb  that is what they did to me after i opeed my account. i have always withdrew
my money at a b/c  and have used my card everywere for purchases and have never
been charged a fee with the exception of 3 rmb when i was in the middle of gods country
and had to withdraw 2500 rmb because i left all my money at home in the desk drawer but
it was at i think if i remember icbc bank so maybe the 10 rmb was your opening fee for card and book

I will ask them but I think they already charged me 10-15 for opening the account. I don't want to get charged every time I use the debit card. Somehow I will find a way to ask them.

ttwjr32

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 05:55:07 pm »
oiler,

go to the bank and run your passbook thru the machine in the lobby
that prints on it all your transactions into the book that will show you
the entries and amounts

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:30:30 pm »
Yes good idea, I have not gotten my passbook uodated yet. It did not show the initial 10 rmb charge but the guy just took 1o rmb from me at the bank and didn't post an entry.

ttwjr32

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:01:09 pm »
bingo thats what it is

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:21:29 pm »
And they charge 3 rmb every month for the account as well.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:25:02 pm »
Willy,

i just checked my passbook and i have never been charged a 3 rmb fee monthly.
is that tied ito avg daily balance maybe?? i dont know i just get interest added
evry 3 months

• Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:36:55 pm »
You probably have a savings account hence the interest and no 3 rmb charge..  My account is just an everyday one and they charge 3rmb a month.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 01:39:08 am »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='34212' dateline='1268451415'

You probably have a savings account hence the interest and no 3 rmb charge..  My account is just an everyday one and they charge 3rmb a month.

Willy

What is the difference? I only know of checking and savings accounts here in Canada. I don't think they ever accept checks in China though.

ttwjr32

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 03:52:14 am »
i see Willy didnt think they had them here never thought to ask

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:39:48 am »
I found out I can't close my bank of China account here in Shanghai as it was opened in Zhongshan. I got 393 left and the nost I can take out from the ATM is multiples of 100 rmb. I think I can use the debit card to make purchases though or can I? THis way I can rid the account of the baklance?

Offline Zhuzhu

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:58:44 am »
If you withdraw the money from the ATM, you can only get money 100,or 200,or more, but you can not get 150,or 152, or 278. It means that you can only get money out with the unit of hundred.

If you open your account in Bank of China in Zhongshan, you can only be free to withdraw money from different banks of B/C in Zhongshan. If you withdraw money from other banks in Zhongshan, you will be charged. If you withdraw from other B/C from another city, you will also be charged. They will charge you according to the amount you will withdraw. The minimum charge is 2 RMB. It seems like to charge 1RMB for 100RMB that you have withdrawn. You will also be charged 10 RMB every year as the fee for the bank mamagement

ttwjr32

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 07:48:25 pm »
well it looks like you should just do a
little shopping while your there and use
all the money or leave it for the next trip
back to China

• Board Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:09:17 pm »
Quote from: 'Oiler1' pid='34920' dateline='1268923188'

I found out I can't close my bank of China account here in Shanghai as it was opened in Zhongshan. I got 393 left and the nost I can take out from the ATM is multiples of 100 rmb. I think I can use the debit card to make purchases though or can I? THis way I can rid the account of the baklance?

What are you doing in Shanghai?   Last I heard you had left Zhongshan and went to Kaiping where they would understand you more!!!!  Are you going back to Canada earlier than planned?

Of course you can purchase things to use up the balance all you have to do is to find a shop that actually accepts cards. Although in Shanghai you may find a few upper class ones with, I fear, upper class prices.

Willy
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 09:10:17 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 04:09:36 am »
Quote from: 'Zhuzhu' pid='34921' dateline='1268924324'

If you withdraw the money from the ATM, you can only get money 100,or 200,or more, but you can not get 150,or 152, or 278. It means that you can only get money out with the unit of hundred.

If you open your account in Bank of China in Zhongshan, you can only be free to withdraw money from different banks of B/C in Zhongshan. If you withdraw money from other banks in Zhongshan, you will be charged. If you withdraw from other B/C from another city, you will also be charged. They will charge you according to the amount you will withdraw. The minimum charge is 2 RMB. It seems like to charge 1RMB for 100RMB that you have withdrawn. You will also be charged 10 RMB every year as the fee for the bank mamagement

I know that now. So what if I never come back to Zhongshan? How can I close my account? I have to add 50 rmb so I can wd the bulk of my cash through the ATM or spend all of it at a place that takes Union pay? Then I can leave it dormant forever?