Author Topic: Bank of China bank card  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Zhuzhu

RE: Bank of China bank card
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 06:24:31 am »
You can not close your account if you not go back to Zhongshan. You can close it in other same bank in the city where you opened it. The bank will charge you every year even though no balance in your account if you have not closed it. But do not worry, you can use up the money in your account and leave it there. No one will call you to ask for money. It is better for you to spend all of it at a place that takes Union pay. I do not know if ATM will receive 50 RMB.

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 12:00:42 pm »
Quote from: 'Zhuzhu' pid='35000' dateline='1268994271'
You can not close your account if you not go back to Zhongshan. You can close it in other same bank in the city where you opened it. The bank will charge you every year even though no balance in your account if you have not closed it. But do not worry, you can use up the money in your account and leave it there. No one will call you to ask for money. It is better for you to spend all of it at a place that takes Union pay. I do not know if ATM will receive 50 RMB.

Thanks for all the advice. I will use my ATM/Union card to pay my hotel bill and get rid of the balance that way. If it is at zero then I will leave it that way forever or until I go back to ZS whenever that will be.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 12:03:37 pm by Oiler1 »

ttwjr32

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 04:56:54 am »
oiler,

just spend the money and dont worry about it being open or closed
very simple solution  :icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 08:49:49 pm »
After getting my ATM rejected at a cafe, I finally got all my money (less 10 rmb fee) out of my account. Each bank is different, but I got a friendlier bank to help me this time. Now I got zero in my account forever plus probably a negative charge each year bc I am not in ZS to cancel it.

All this may be small potatoes to some, but I learned something about the BoC  banking system so when I do have larger amounts to move I know what to expect.

It's good insurance to open a bank account at the largest nationwide bank if you intend to stay in one city or go back to it. I leave my cash at the hotel with no problem though.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 08:51:22 pm by Oiler1 »

David5o

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 09:16:52 pm »
Oiler 1,

You should of made it clear from the beginning that, you wanted the account valid for all of China. once your tied with that standard BoC account it can be a real bummer to get it changed, especially when you can't get back to the original bank branch you opened the account....

I know that it's not obvious, that it wouldn't be accessible everywhere, and the English spoken at these banks leaves a lot to be desired. I must admit, i opened my account with BoC with the help of the company fixer, but i can withdraw and credit anywhere in China, just like any other western type bank account that were used to dealing with.

Next time you open an account, .....make sure they understand what you want from that account....  haha!!

David....

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 10:01:44 pm »
I did ask for an ATM card and account usable all throughout China using my interpreter. I did not know about how the actual account works nor did she bother to ask for me. All she said was it was usable all over China.

Yes the next time I will make sure when I open anotherproper universal account in another city. BTW, if I do that will they find out I owe an annaul fee on other account?