Author Topic: Just blowing off steam  (Read 8507 times)

Offline Terryg

RE: Just blowing off steam
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2010, 11:59:48 pm »
That sounds like a great Idea. I will have to do that, I am surprised that they don't have a Thread for that
QQ 1413900069

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2010, 12:37:12 am »
Don't let being a driver slow you down. I run long haul team expedited in Canada. We can drive 13 hours per shift here.

I talk to my wife daily by phone and msn.  I use a BlackBerry and it works out great!  Currently bombing down the road while I type this out.

shaun

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2010, 06:58:32 am »
Quote from: 'Terryg' pid='35118' dateline='1269109655'

I would still have had to wait for a visa. All I know is that if I could have gone now, I would not be sitting here pining away.:dodgy:

Terry,

You can get a Visa in 4 days easy through Visa Express.  It will cost a little more but not that much more than the initial outlay of cash.

It took me 2 months to get my passport, 1 week to get my visa, I didn't expedite the visa as I leave in :icon_cheesygrin: 10 days. :icon_cheesygrin:

Martin, that is a scary thought.  Texting while driving a big truck.  If I were caught doing that I would be fired.  Congress is considering passing a law for CDL A and B drivers that would not only outlaw the use of cell phones and testing while driving but if you are caught doing it you loose you CDL license permanently.

Shaun
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:06:48 am by shaun »

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2010, 08:30:46 am »
Shaun,

I know Martin drives with a partner (driving 12-13 hours a day by one's self is dangerous), so I'm assuming his partner is driving while he's texting. :icon_cheesygrin: Martin wouldn't risk his livelyhood and life just for some text messages.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

shaun

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010, 10:17:29 pm »
I see drivers doing it all the time.  I hope he does not.  It is difficult for me to drive, talk on my cell, listen to the radio and shave all at the same time.  Texting is just over the top. :icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Chong

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2010, 12:02:39 am »
Quote from: 'shaun' pid='35226' dateline='1269224249'

It is difficult for me to drive, talk on my cell, listen to the radio and shave all at the same time.  Texting is just over the top. :icon_cheesygrin:

I have seen it firsthand. Martin steers with his knees while texting messages. And this was on the Don Valley Parkway ... a busy Toronto freeway ... when we went to get his VISA.

Martin doesn't have any hair to shave but he does make tea while driving his ridge. :icon_cool:

Offline Terryg

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2010, 12:04:37 am »
Well as long as nobody tells the DOT. There were times that I would actually put in 20hrs driving.:angel: But I was a lot younger and I am a bit of a nightowl. When the sun goes down i wake up and I when I go to sleep I toss and turn for an hour before falling asleep. Don't worry about me doing that now, usually by mid afternoon I need a nap .:-/
QQ 1413900069

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2010, 02:01:50 am »
Chong..you are giving away all my bad habits. I only told about the texting. I forgot about making tea!

When you are driving across Saskatchewan, what else is there to do?  The highway doesn't have any turns for long periods. The worst that can happen is I drive across a wheat field!

shaun

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2010, 05:24:16 am »
So, Martin, it is people like you that cause wheat shortages.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2010, 05:34:52 am »
Haha. I had never considered that!

Arnold

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2010, 11:27:38 am »
Hahaha you Guy's . Now when eating Wheat Cereal's .. I'll be checking for Tires marks or the Milk turning black .:@

ttwjr32

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 04:51:00 am »
Martin,

i ate,drank coffee,typed on my qualcomm when i was running my truck

especially thru Nebraska i always said put it on cruise and take a nap thru Nebraska
all straight roads till the last 40 miles

Offline Lee357

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 06:17:30 am »
In my home state we just made it illegal to txt or even talk on a cell phone while driving. I got 3 warnings in the first day of enforcement for talking on my cell phone. I don't txt because I was at a convention last year and the guy sitting right next to me txted me to ask me a question. It aggravated me so much I have never used txt since. He was right next to me. He could have tapped me on the shoulder and asked me the question. Still irritates me just thinking about it.
Does it matter to the bird if an apple is Red or Green? Or does the bird just care that the apple is sweet.

Offline RegnisTheGreat

• www.secretasianman.ca
    • http://www.secretasianman.ca
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 06:58:05 am »
Hehe, Martin: are you not worried about the fines?

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2010, 09:51:04 am »
Just use your Cell phone driving in UK - it can get you disqualified.  They are angling public opinion against using them whilst driving  as it worked well with making Drink Driving unacceptable in the 70's.

Camera everywhere now filming drivers. if a Lorry drivers is involved in serious accidents then they check the cell phone records against the vehicles tachograph..  If the phone was being used at the time of the accident then a custodial sentence is likely to result.

Willy
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 09:54:39 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,