Author Topic: Do you have a Chinese name?  (Read 4815 times)

shaun

Re: Do you have a Chinese name?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 07:52:39 am »
Well,  愤怒的人.  If it is bad don't tell me.  Hehe.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 08:46:08 am »
Are we going to be enlightened as to the meaning of his name? We are all grown ups here and it is not like we would be poking fun at his chinese name....
PFFFFFFT Yea Right!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dave C
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 08:49:36 am by Bee964 »
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 09:16:09 am »
Whenever I go to my wife's hometown in Hunan Province, they are not used to seeing a white person.  People will stop and stare.  I guess I get my Chinese name from all the locals, who even shout it out of there car when they are passing.  So my Chinese name must be "laowai". heehee

Offline Okie_Rob

• ???
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 09:18:10 am »
 罗伯特 Luóbótè Robert (name)  this is mine in Chinese
"USA, Wise Up!"  "美国,明智了! " "China has" " 中国有"

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 09:20:16 am »
Whenever I go to my wife's hometown in Hunan Province, they are not used to seeing a white person.  People will stop and stare.  I guess I get my Chinese name from all the locals, who even shout it out of there car when they are passing.  So my Chinese name must be "laowai". heehee
Did you have the flowered shrit on that all tourists are required to wear twice a week?

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 09:21:19 am »
Did you have the flowered shrit on that all tourists are required to wear twice a week?

Dave C

I am not old enough to wear one of those!

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 09:23:57 am »

Dave C

I am not old enough to wear one of those!

There is an age limit!?!?!? What fun is that?

Dave C

ttwjr32

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 10:47:52 am »
mine is  LI TA which is Ted    and there is no age linit on the shirts  just being comfortable thats all

to hot here to wear other shirts with the humidity

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »
When Chen Yan told me my name zhang Jian was common,  ??? I asked Ying about this.   ::)

So she changed it to 'Zhang Yang'...I think it's to do with the Ying/Yang theory... ;D ;D

modified...张杨 ......Zhang Yang
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:30:03 pm by Scottish_Rob »

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 05:55:07 pm »
Ok... let's make some ground rules here... you need to supply the chinese writing as well as the pinyin...otherwise there can be MANY mistakes in translating (Assuming I'm accurate enough)... Not going to judge names (I'll let the others do that)

Paul Todd: 保罗 - Bao Luo or Paul

Shaun:  愤怒的人 - Fen Nu Di Ren or Angry man (or indignant man depending on who's translating)...

Okie_Rob: 罗伯特 - Luo Bo Te (as he said) or Robert

That said, there are some other meaning depending on how you pronounce (phonetics) it and the intent of the creator...

Just for reference... Shaun can sometimes be: 肖恩 (Xiao En)... that's what I'd probably use if I were her... but that's just me (nicer meaning too)
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 06:16:16 pm »
My name written in Chinese, then re-translate back to English, comes out Mading.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 07:07:46 pm »
So this whole getting a chinese name is sort of like getting a nickname sometimes? I already have three I have to answer to.  ::)

Dave C

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 08:34:36 pm »
Not necessarily.  For many people, it makes it easier for them to pronounce your name.  For example, when I work with other chinese, I write my name for them in chinese and tell them that they can pronounce it in their own dialect when talking to me.  You don't know how much easier it is for them and makes my life so less complicated.

It also relaxes them where our interactions tend to work a lot better.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 10:12:20 pm »
I am just curious for the different dialects to say 必须集中。  Hopefully that translated well.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 10:25:36 pm »
Funny guy...

Seriously though... when one side is struggling with language, why make things more difficult... Harmony is good in work and family.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen