Author Topic: My Trip to China  (Read 11416 times)

shaun

RE: My Trip to China
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 06:51:46 am »
Robert,

I asked her to look for a good deal on a Besta.  Since I arrive Thursday afternoon we should go and pick it up after I check into the motel.  I also asked her to find a good translator for when I meet her mother, brothers and sisters.  I do not want to miss anything when I speak with them and if I am uncomfortable trying to communicate I could break into a little Spanish.  Comprende?  Was ist los?

Thank all of you for your months of contributions.

shaun

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 09:15:38 am »
Thanks Mike.  I will let everyone know.

My concern is not the amount as much as it is the value.  I mean I do not have tons of money but I think as long as I have been talking with Peggy I know what she is thinking concerning this subject.  I think she is wondering how much value I am placing on her.  I want to give enough to make her happy but not enough for the family to think I am a well full of money.  I think I am seeing a few guidelines beginning to build.

This evening I will tell a story about value and which will explain more of what I am thinking.  Gotta go to work.

David5o

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 10:01:59 am »
Shaun,

Just read your query, and everyone's answers.... Now I'll give my spin on your dilemma, ...haha!!

First off, David E's (Ming's) answer is the closest, in both money terms and the actual situation as regards to Peggy being previously married.

I will add a little something here, If you start by giving large sums of money, it will come to be expected each time there is a Red Envelope situation. It's not a derisory remark, it's just the way Chinese are. (Something along the lines that Dave's Ming was intimating in her comment.) You can tell them all that your not a wealthy man, for a month of Sunday's, but if you give a large sum of money in a Red Envelope for a relatively minor occassion, they WILL consider you Wealthy Shaun, ... Guaranteed!! ...So start as you mean to continue is my advice!! ...haha!!

David.....

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 12:23:26 pm »
Shaun...go with what your heart says...

You know when you meet, just take it as normal date, and dont think too much...

best of luck mate...

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 02:16:09 pm »
Shaun,

Do you plan on getting engaged with this trip?  look, I had a lot of trouble with this red envelope thing.  Personally I dont like it at all.  Now, having said that.  IT is a time honored thing so who are we to stop it.  I was told that the red envelope especially with a second marriage is based on income so what both David's have said is very true. You will give a second envelope when you get married so I think a small amount now would be in order. Why not go with 2500 RMB.  I think that is a very fair amount right now.  Just explain to Peggy that that is what you can give right now.  Then see what her reaction is.  That is an indicator of how she is.  
Just my 2 cents.

Jim
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

shaun

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 11:19:48 pm »
Thanks all.  This is good advice and helps me to hone in what I need to do.  I will see how it goes once I get there.  1000RMB sounds good but I was thinking somewhere between 2000RMB - 3000RMB.    Jim said it best.  See what her reaction is.

ttwjr32

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 12:57:45 am »
Willy and Shaun,

please let me know when you are doing the shaving event as i do not want to be
anywere near that nor do i want to see it.  maybe Peggy and i will go have lunch or
dinner while you two do that :icon_cheesygrin: its a site i think neaither of us would
like to see or know about happening

shaun

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 05:14:05 am »
Ted I will be going with you and Peggy.  Willy isn't putting shaving cream on me and I won't come near him if he has a razor.  If Peggy wants it off she has to do it. :icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 10:43:48 am »
Please Shaun choose your words more carefully!!!

That last sentence was made for me to play with BUT on this occasion I will resist!!!  If you are taking your laptop with you you can use it at Hong Kong airport free of charge so maybe we will get an update on the final days of the beard.

Don't worry about the razor I will not bring mine - you will be so high when you meet Peggy that you wont care if i use   kitchen scissors or a plain blow torch!!!!

Hope to see you some time during your trip.  

Willy
Hair today gone tomoroow
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:01:12 am by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Arnold

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 10:55:15 am »
Shaun , best of Luck and you know I'm eagerly awaiting this Trip of your's to unfold . We do need two Photo's of you of course .... " BEFORE and AFTER " of the " NEW look on your Face .:icon_confused:

shaun

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 10:31:55 pm »
Willy,

I must apologize.  I need to proof read my comments. :blush:  I know what I meant to say; that wasn't it. I must be losing my mind, what little I have to lose.

Arnold, Mike I will get pictures even if there is not before and after.  I am betting the beard remains.
:icon_cheesygrin:

Shaun

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2010, 01:34:52 am »
How come your still showing 4 days to go with your Avitar.  Are you putting off the inevitable?  

Have a great trip and a good sleep- and then your nightmare begins.  You will soon wake up in the same country as me!!!!!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

shaun

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 05:10:25 am »
Willy,

My Avitar?  I am having a hard enough time simply tying my shoes right now.  Thanks for keeping me on track.

Ted, I thought you had my back?

ttwjr32

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 05:21:07 am »
Shaun,

i do have your back dont worry and keep in mind Willy is a little senile (hahahahahahah)
so you have to ignore him sometimes (hahahahahaha)

all kidding aside if you get the time Willy and i will take you to some very interesting places
and if you get your hair cut in a shop dont go to the one with all the young girls sitting around
the front window. Peggy will be using a razor on you if she finds out you went there  lol!!!!!

that 50lbs of jerky will come in handy as i now have 9 kids here in China who look at me as
not only their teacher but also as their big brother. so i am going to give them some of it to
try out and see if they like it.

shaun

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 05:26:16 am »
Ted,

Be careful that jerky might go real fast with the children.   If I am caught in an establishment getting a hair cut like that I will point to you and Willy and shrug my shoulders.  I will tell Peggy that my eyes have been closed all of the time and my thought were only of her. :icon_cheesygrin: