Author Topic: holiday this monday  (Read 5322 times)

Offline maxx

RE: holiday this monday
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2010, 09:28:03 pm »
Chong that is really cool.I will ask my wife if she knows anything about this.

Offline Chong

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2010, 09:39:41 pm »
Quote from: 'David5o' pid='36037' dateline='1270255882'

Chong,

Interesting stuff... In the book, ...What does the box with i think the symbol for ''Boy'' underneath signify??  

David....

David,

Are you referring to the empty square box underneath some of the characters ??? If so, it just means that the name is unknown. If not, I'm not sure what you're referring to. I can't read Chinese. My wife interpretes for me.

Here's the interesting stuff. My grandfather's real name is Hum Him Wing and his brother's name is Hum Lin Fook. But according to the book, they're listed as Hum Dong Gat and Hum Dong Hay. That's because every male in their generation ( 20th ) took the good luck name "Dong" after they married. Every male in the 19th generation took the good luck name pronounced "Liu". Every male in the 18th generation took the good luck name pronounced "Moon" ... etc etc etc. I was wondering why all the 1st to 20th generation had the same first character writing.

So really the Red Book only shows the Good Luck names. Their real names from birth is only found in the Jiapu. Starting from the 21st generation are the real birth names like my father's and mine's.

David5o

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 09:45:58 pm »
Chong,

Yes that's what i was referring too, and guessed that's probably what it meant. Couldn't ask Lucy as she is sleeping, it's the early hours of the morning here ...lol!!!  Like your wife, she is my interpreter...

David....
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 09:46:19 pm by David5o »

Offline Chong

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »
Maxx ... It would be interesting about your wife's history.

Sad to say that only male names were recorded. Only the recent generations have included 'daughter's names'. On the house ancestor's shrines, only the wife's surname was written beside her husband's.

Chinese families believed that daughters belonged to the husband's family after they marry; thus, any history information about them was not recorded.

For example, if my Mom wanted to find out ancestral information about her family ( Lee ), she would have a hard time because she's considered as a 'Hum'. Her brother, on the other hand, would have easy access to any "Lee" book/information.

When I went to search for my Mom's grandparent's gravesite, villagers asked me ... "Why ?" ... It's because I'm a 'Hum', not a 'Lee'

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 10:04:02 pm »
back to topic

Sophie reminded me about Qing-Ming this Monday, :s and then said just before she signed off, be a few days...

Now I know that this can go on for a while, there will be no need to worry about why not answering, or not getting in touch...cheers guys:icon_biggrin:

Told her I would say a special prayer for her father and her for her grief...:heart:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:04:59 pm by Scottish_Rob »

ttwjr32

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 10:20:27 pm »
Chong i showed my wife what you posted (the pics) and she said her father
has that also which i will want to see when we visit there this summer. they
live in baotao and my wife doesnt like to go there during the winter but i will
find that very interesting

David5o

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 08:49:57 am »
Chong,

You asked how far back we can go with our ancesters. Well about 5 years ago, my sister and i started tracing back both my mothers and fathers family. With a few gaps here and there, we managed to get back on my mothers side to the 11th century and on my fathers side to the 14th century.

Seems my mothers family originated (as far as we know to date) from France, and later emigrated to southern Scotland. Later moving down and setting up home in York some 70 years later. We had a lot of trouble getting further back on my fathers side, they seemed to of just suddenly appeared in Colechester. Which means that they came from mainland Europe, or it's a case of another minor name change. We have had a lot of those, and they can be a real bugger to get past.... lol!!

David....

Offline Chong

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 09:00:56 am »
David,

You seem to be following the family trend ... did you change your surname to "50" ... hahahahaha.

Thanks for your story. You must be proud ... and also curious to find out more. What reason did you want to trace your family's history 5 years ago ?

Today, I visited my great grandfather's gravesite on my mother's side. I also discovered the names of my second great grandparents and my third great grandparents. This came about by meeting [for the first time] my Mom's first cousins while walking Qing Ming.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:02:34 am by Chong »

David5o

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 09:23:14 am »
Chong,

You wouldn't believe how many derivatives of ''King'' we have come across.....  At the moment our family name has gone back to ''Kingsman''  but have also had Kingsmen, Kine, Kines, Kings, etc etc. It only takes a recorder from the past to miss spell, or make a mistake and your in for some multiple searches around the name your looking for.

We have only come across one name change on my mothers side to date, from Titchiner to Titchner

Oh, and by the way it's 5o not 50 ...hahaha!!

David
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:23:25 am by David5o »

Offline Chong

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 10:20:08 am »
I hear what you're saying.

My ancestors go by either Hum/Hom/Tam/Tom/Tan. It was common for immigrants coming to Canada in the 1940's-1950's to buy adopted surnames from settled families to ease the country's entry.

My Mom has various IDs with either Hum/Tam/Tom.

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 11:47:31 am »
It wasn't a case of mis-spelling the names...

The names are taken from whereabouts the people reside or their occupations.

For example, 'Blacksmith's' would have the the name Smith, Smyth, Black, Blackie, etc etc

Another example, would be risidinding at the bottom of a hill....Hill, Hilly, Hillie Bray etc etc

About 10 - 15 years ago, I done my family tree, because i was interested in doing something different...it is a costly thing to do, if sone properly...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 11:54:47 am by Scottish_Rob »