Author Topic: willy wonka  (Read 5239 times)

Offline Cam

willy wonka
« on: April 11, 2010, 02:23:37 am »
Wonka?:icon_cheesygrin:

rockycoon

RE: Who do the woman do this????
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:19:02 am »
Wonka  was an englishman that owned a large choc factory, he had small people working for him (chinese?)
 :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
I think the first name is "Willy"....haha
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 04:39:57 am by rockycoon »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
RE: Who do the woman do this????
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:42:39 am »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='36618' dateline='1270973942'

Wonka  was an englishman that owned a large choc factory, he had small people working for him (chinese?)
 :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
I think the first name is "Willy"....haha

And I would make my good friend Rob number 1 worker or are they called Wonkarettes!!

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Scottish_Rob

RE: willy wonka
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 01:51:20 pm »
So Willy when you know what comes off.....Does that mean I'm a Wonkarette.....:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Cam

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 02:21:39 am »
How the hell did this become a post of it's own, it was supposed to be part of another post ???????????????????????????????? Maybe my computer playing tricks on me:huh:

rockycoon

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 02:43:33 am »
Ahhh clever those computers....sneak right up on your data....lol

Wonkerettes are the small people who make the choclate, taste so good....now I know where the eggs are going.....:icon_cheesygrin:

Next thing you know there will be Wonka bars everywhere. God I'd
hate to see Willy Wonka bars stamped "made in China" :icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:06:59 am by rockycoon »

Offline David S

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 03:34:54 am »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='36687' dateline='1271054613'

Wonkerettes

The little people who made the chocolate in the Willy Wonka story, also known as "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" were called Umpa Lumpas (or singular Umpa Lumpa)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 03:54:23 am by David S »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 08:17:06 am »
How in heavens name did this become a thread in its own right.  I have lost track now how we got on this course.

Is someone trying to clean up the forum - I mean do housekeeping on it?

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 03:32:04 am »
speaking of Willie Wonka for those of you who are thinking of coming to
 China i just want to suggest that CHOCOLATE makes for a very nice gift
 for the freinds and family. I live here and i cannot believe how much these
 chocolate makers mark up their product here.  so chocolate would make a
 nice gift because it is like a splurge for most people here to buy it not exactly
 something they put on their shopping list but for the most part they do enjoy
 eating it. just a thought:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Cam

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:29:38 pm »
I'd suggest you also bringing your own coffee, Italian spaghetti, breakfast cereal, margarine (seriously) & cheese because the stuff they make here is about as tasty as wax..........especially if you are going to a smaller region because Walmart won't help you much (it's Chinese).
Might actually be worth a new thread like this one appearing from nowhere about what is hard/impossible to find here and worth bringing.
I smoke roll your own ciggys and nobody here has ever seen them but they are as cheap as dirt on the internet i.e. 25rmb for a packet of Drum 50g & it's excellent quality English stuff, 10 packs + delivery (2-3 days) is 260rmb, I pay 150rmb at home for one pack.:icon_cheesygrin:

ttwjr32

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:50:18 pm »
Cam,

so true as i have been all over China and your right in the smaller regions
there are few and far between things from home to buy. i am very fortunate
living in Guangzhou as i could get anything i want at different parts of town
and the prices are not to bad either. with the exception of chocolate,pistachios
and some ice cream. yes some might say 'but your in China' but i enjoy my uniqueness
and some of my family here are really enjoying the western foods i have introduced them
to when we cook at home.

its funny  we have a movie night each week were we watch movies and make popcorn
and roast marshmallows while we watch the movies. well actually about every 10 days we
do this and now in between they are doing this with their neighbors and the kids just love it
when we have this night a really fun and enjoyable time had by everyone.

try this with your family and freinds if your living in China and even in the western parts
with your Chinese family

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 01:24:12 pm »
I think that this is a good thread. What woman doesn't like chocolates? It is an excellent idea to bring some with you as a gift. That might be a good idea too. A thread on what special things to bring with you to china. Things that are more commonplace in north america but hard to find in china. It would prove very usefull to someone that has never been to china.

David S,

The first movie was "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" I seem to think it was Marty Feldman that starred in it. I may be wrong. The re-make starred Johny Depp and was called "Charlie and the Choclate Factory". I never watched either movie but I did see parts of the original. My sisters watched it over and over... I think you are right about them being called Umpa Lumpas, at least in the original movie. But I like Willys name for them..... Wonkerettes. :icon_cheesygrin:
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 01:33:26 pm »
The first Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) starred Gene Wilder...  Haven't seen the Johnny Depp one, but they say it's good.  I liked the first one...just from the pictures, it sounded like a much lighter movie.

And they were called Oompa Loompa...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:35:02 pm by mustfocus »
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Cam

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 08:53:51 pm »
I've seen both & yes they sing the oompa loompa song in both also, Depp is fantastic in everything he does and like in Edward Scissorhand he plays a great part in this too, but much weirder than Wilders character. I hated it the first time but enjoyed it the second & third.
If like me you can't have caffine (palpitations) you definitely need to bring de-caff, the bloody MSG drives the old ticker crazy too & makes it hard eating here because they stick the stuff in just about everything.

rockycoon

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 02:43:52 am »
That MSG is bad stuff, it's a heart killer.  And for my money, Gene Wilder was a better Willy Wonka although Johnny Depp
comes in a close second.  I like the orginal movies, because someone always thinks they can make it better.  For instance
how about "the day the earth stood still"  The orginal was the best, and they screwed it up with a very bad re-make. :@

By the way, who needs Gene Wilder or Johnny Depp, we have our own Willy Wonka right here! "trying to make the world taste good"
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:45:50 am by rockycoon »