Author Topic: Trip Two Shaoguan  (Read 8230 times)

ttwjr32

Re: Trip Two Shaoguan
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2010, 08:19:16 am »
ok im confused in december early december i sent a nice Mahjong game to my brother in california
as a xmas gift and i had no problem sending it???? i guess its just like anything else here, it just depends
on the day,who,and what they feel like if something gets sent.  Shaun next time try a different post office
before giving up. maybe in the small town Peggy lives in they have different procedures.

from what i understand and i could be wrong but some of the china posts are indendantly owned and operated
maybe that was the problem.

but of course maybe being the Ambassador  entitles me to a few perks  lol!!!!!!!!!!!!

shaun

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2010, 01:58:17 pm »
Ted,

I think some are independently owned based on what the lady was saying to me.  I tried to ship in Shenzhen and I was running out of time.  I talked with Peggy about going to another Post Office but she like many other Chinese people take these people at their word.  When they first said no I begged Peggy to go back in and ask to see the law in their book saying that I could not ship the Mahjong set.  You should have seen the look on her face but being a good Chinese woman she went in and asked.  The woman was highly offended and grabbed the book and put if below her desk so that we could not touch it.

I push the point saying that I wanted to read the law.  When Peggy began to look a little worried I stopped.  It was then that the woman gave me the biggest clue.  She said that THEY had determined to not ship it because it was illegal and that I would have to go to another city to try.

When I asked Peggy to go to another post office I could see that Peggy was not wanting to try again so I worked it out.  I was just overweight in one of my suitcases.  I just paid the extra money.  I reasoned that I was either going to pat China Post or Delta.  If I paid Delta more then it was only a little bit.

Paul, thanks for your reply.  I am already working on a person in Guangzhou, a friend of Peggy's, on helping me with shipping.  I am doing this with Peggy's approval of her friend.   I plan to do a lot more shipping from China.

ttwjr32

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2010, 10:04:12 am »
Shaun,

shipping and sourcing are very big hurdles here in china to overcome. be very careful with who you do this with.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2010, 03:55:53 pm »
Great trip log Shaun.  One morning on my first trip, Zhifang and I stopped at a bakery for breakfast, where I had gotten some cold milk.  This apparently gave my wife a stomach ache.  Same went for cold pop.  If it wasn't room temperature or warmer, she didn't want it.  Hot Pot is good, but after a couple times, it lost its novelty for me.  It is good though.

Glad you had a great trip, and look forward to hearing about when she arrives in the USA.

shaun

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2010, 05:40:14 pm »
Today I was talking with Peggy.  She went to see a doctor because she still had the virus she got toward the end of my stay in China.  I guess I should say the virus she got from drinking ice coffee and ice cream.  I have it too.  She informed me that she was correct with her theory that the doctor confirmed it; Ice Coffee with Ice Cream on a hot day causes people to get cold viruses.  Remember you heard it here first.   :o ::)

I tried to explain that you cannot catch a virus from a glass of ice coffee. Finally I said, "Yes dear, I will never buy you an ice coffee again.  I am sorry." Who am I to argue against a Chinese doctor.  I can't wait until she gets here and meets my doctor.  I can see it now... I'll have to put it on utube.  ;D Sorry Willy, Ted you'll have to miss out on it.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2010, 08:22:40 pm »
Lol Shaun, i knew as soon as I read your post that the cold food would be the root cause for the sickness. You just cannot fight it haha!

As to hot pot, first time i thought it was great, but by the third and fourth time I was thinking, why the heck am i paying to go to a restaurant to cook my own food? Its just dipping raw veg or meat into a hot soup for flavour.. Pretty dull stuff once the novelty has worn off in my opinion. A chef cooked meal beats dipping various vegs in boiling soup any day.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:24:22 pm by Irishman »
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

shaun

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2010, 09:30:26 pm »
Ronan yes I asked Peggy how much she got paid for cooking the food.  It seems to me that there should be a chef to do the cooking.

ttwjr32

« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2010, 10:44:34 am »
Shaun,

you cant get your paper work done screwing around online here lol!!!!!!!