Author Topic: Moderators  (Read 5721 times)

Scottish_Rob

Moderators
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:06:16 pm »
Hi mods.
I have a question that maybe could be answered....

As you all know I am in no way against this site, but I have only just noticed (apart from Ronan), there seems to be a North American influence in mods.

Now that the site is 'up and running smoothly' and we have enough core members.  Would it not be a 'fairer' decision for other continemnts to have representation within the formum Moderators.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way putting myself forward for any position, but maybe now after a year, we need someone who is probably more in touch with the everyday members..

Maybe one from the Uk and one from Australia and a European

Just an idea.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 02:07:18 pm by Scottish_Rob »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
RE: Moderators
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 05:37:42 pm »
I wonder if we do not have other continents presented because of lack of volunteers? I hazard a guess that your suggestion is a good one as there are slightly different cultural differences from each continent. But it is just not that simple, after all on large contients there are still different biases between regions and countries and also, what about age difference. I do not think we have enough members here to have a fair distribution of mods to cater to the vast differences. But then I do agree that an extra European or Down under Mod would be appreciated by our hard working mods.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 05:42:09 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Chong

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 11:14:41 pm »
Speaking for myself,

The MODs select a candidate based on a majority voting system. Names are tossed into the hat and we debate. Many names mentioned in the past weren't North American. We select base on a person's 'perceive' character, not his country of origin.

MOD duties are to edit controversial postings; I don't see how a person's nationality has anything to do with it. Since we're not a political site, any bias postings regarding American and British viewpoints [ or any other ] have been deleted previously ... before a war broke out.

There's a section on "Nationality Requirements" ... that's a perfect section for each member/country to have their expertise viewpoint on matters that they know about. If you want to dominate the postings on the European section ... go for it.

Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='38251' dateline='1273341976'

but maybe now after a year, we need someone who is probably more in touch with the everyday members..

What do you mean ???????
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:20:07 pm by Chong »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:16:35 am »
Look I do not want to be a mod as  it will not be conducive to my new business.   And as you know I am not one to court controversy :angel: BUT.

just an argument about the voting system.   A Mod brought it up so I guess it will be ok to go on in that vein.

So who Votes  - i suspect just the mods as I have never seen a vote on here open to all.  

I will get a little political here.  If the world is set for one president and the only voters who vote are in the USA then who will win, the American President of course regardless of whether any other countries presidents are more suited or not.  

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Arnold

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 02:27:12 am »
As I see it , Martin is the creator of this Forum and of the Facebook Forum . Him , Irish , Maxx , Chong , Vince & Nik ( who gave it up ) Jim and myself go way back to the Start of it all . Now there was never even the slightest breeze of anybody unhappy about where any of the Mods were from .
As for me , heck if anybody wants my Position as a Mod and thinks he can do better .. I would not wait one minute to trade . I don't need this , just because I'm from America and now concidered one to many from that place .
As the Voting goes , Ted received the most Votes .. yes from Mods only to be one of us . I'm sure Martin or any Mods see no point in letting this whole Forum Vote on such issue's . Wouldn't this have to include all new Member's then ? With little experience of this Forum at all . Or are we going to pick only certain People and not other's . Very nice indeed . Would not be part of this choosing prosses for sure .
Well my two cent's .

Offline Chong

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 03:57:02 am »
Quote from: 'Arnold' pid='38261' dateline='1273386432'

As the Voting goes , Ted received the most Votes .. yes from Mods only to be one of us . I'm sure Martin or any Mods see no point in letting this whole Forum Vote on such issue's . Wouldn't this have to include all new Member's then ? With little experience of this Forum at all . Or are we going to pick only certain People and not other's .

Exactly Arnold. Point well mentioned.

None of you who participate in the Forum(s) on the official ChnLove or Cherry Blossoms { or any other } can become a MOD there. That's why this Forum was created. It's the most liberal of all. If a member proves himself/herself with good character & constructive postings, he/she will get consideration over time. The current MODs have been there from almost Day One. Are we our own tight group ? ... Yes. Do we welcome new people into the group ? ... Yes.

I suggest that any member who feels that they would like to become a MOD ... simply PM Martin. When the time comes to select another MOD, their name(s) will be thrown into the mix for consideration.

Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='38260' dateline='1273382195'

If the world is set for one president and the only voters who vote are in the USA then who will win, the American President of course regardless of whether any other countries presidents are more suited or not.  

LOL ... Isn't that how it works here in C _ _ _ _ ? The politburo selects a new leader and the masses don't have a vote. Every country has voting issues that the masses are not happy with. Please Maxx ... don't delete this post, I'm having a great laugh.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:10:26 am by Chong »

shaun

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 05:58:27 am »
The system of voting that we presently have is about the fairest we could have on this forum.  If the mods were to open up the nominating and voting process to the whole forum there would be total chaos in my opinion.

I think moving forward that a good consideration for the mods is to consider nationality.  We all need to realize that all will not be satisfied though.  If the next mod comes from GB then maybe the French, Australians, Danish, Germans, and if I missed your nationality sorry, could be offended.

In my opinion what is happening here is that the site has hit a threshold of active members. Many of us came here about 1 year ago.  The dynamic of this site has changed somewhat.  Now the management system needs to adapt to the size of the site for future growth.  One good thing I see is that mods are now covering specific categories.  Great idea.  I cannot imagine how hard and repetitive it would be or each mod to look at every new post and consider action.

I think it is a good idea to have this thread for discussion because it can give the mods a glympse into what many of the members are thinking.

Just my 1/2 cent worth of wisdom. :s

rockycoon

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 06:01:06 am »
One if by land, two if by sea, the british are coming, the british are coming....:icon_cheesygrin:

I don't care where your from mod's, frankly I could care less, your
all doing a great job. Like my dad used to say, if its working - don't
fix it. :icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:12:53 am by rockycoon »

shaun

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:06:53 am »
Don all will be OK as long as the mods do not select one saying he is a former member of the knights that say "ni." :icon_cheesygrin:

Vince G

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 08:17:45 am »
If you want to get technical, Arnold is German (European) so there you have the Euro Mod.

btw Rocky, staying in technical mode... He never yelled "The British are coming". At that date and time they were all British.

Offline Chong

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 08:19:12 am »
Quote from: 'shaun' pid='38264' dateline='1273399107'

The system of voting that we presently have is about the fairest we could have on this forum.  If the mods were to open up the nominating and voting process to the whole forum there would be total chaos in my opinion.

I think moving forward that a good consideration for the mods is to consider nationality.  We all need to realize that all will not be satisfied though.  If the next mod comes from GB then maybe the French, Australians, Danish, Germans, and if I missed your nationality sorry, could be offended.

In my opinion what is happening here is that the site has hit a threshold of active members. Many of us came here about 1 year ago.  The dynamic of this site has changed somewhat.  Now the management system needs to adapt to the size of the site for future growth.  One good thing I see is that mods are now covering specific categories.  Great idea.  I cannot imagine how hard and repetitive it would be or each mod to look at every new post and consider action.

I think it is a good idea to have this thread for discussion because it can give the mods a glympse into what many of the members are thinking.

Just my 1/2 cent worth of wisdom. :s

Thanks Shaun ... That's one of your best post to date.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 08:54:05 am »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='38260' dateline='1273382195'

I will get a little political here.  If the world is set for one president and the only voters who vote are in the USA then who will win, the American President of course regardless of whether any other countries presidents are more suited or not.  

Willy

Well let me see.....:huh: In California only Americans can vote for a Governor right? So where is that guy from?
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

David5o

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 09:04:12 am »

One thing that should be said here, is that the forum is rarely informed when there are Mod changes. There seems to have been quite a few changes over the last month or so, like Ed W, Vince G, Nik  Ted, Chong, Jim B etc But the only time i've seen anything mentioning any change was with Ted.

I really think it is just a common courtesy, to inform the membership whenever there is a Mod change on the Forum in future!! ....So can we have a run down, who has replaced who so everyone is up to date on the current status of the Forum Mods please....

David...

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 10:27:07 am »
Guys,

My two cents (now worth 1.85 cents I guess)...

Personally, I only have two requests for any new mods moving forward...

1) I'd like to see some mods from more diverse time zones... that way if something needs to be dealt with, it's more likely a mod will catch it... I don't think it's fair to focus (boo) on just a few people who are mostly concentrated within a certain area.  They have lives outside of this forum as well...

2) That they're one of the people who tends to be more active in the forums.  Ted's a great example of this... it makes the mods much more visible and approachable.

3) No knights that say Ni! :icon_cheesygrin:
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 04:40:03 pm »
Chong all I was meaning was using someone who talks to a lot of members everyday.

Arnold. no one is asking you to stand down.

All I was trying to say was 2 things,

(1) Must focus hit the nail on the head when he mentioned 'Diverse' timezones.

(a) It would give other mods free time not having to sit up during there daytime/our nighttime
(b) It would make the Mods seem approachable, as he also mentioned.

(2) The reason is, that sense of humour is different by most continents, what some Mods may find insulting or humourless, could be construed on a lighter note by Europeans.

Lets take a look at (for example) the offending post/picture by david5o, that was deleted.   I am sure that this formun is male dominated.  So we as members can expect to see some sort of pictures like the one posted.  I never saw it or commented on the said picture when it was posted, but I did see it, and thought it was very funny.  I. am almost sure our Chinese girlfriend/Fiances/Wifes would have also seem the humour in it, because after all we are all built the same way, and they do have a sense of humour.

So please guys, don't think I'm trying to cause internal trouble I'm not.  The forum is open to asking questions and suggestions.  There is one other point I would like to say, and I think it was Chong that pointed this out.  It was mentioned that the mods are picked because of their postings and such.  If this is true, why was Paul Todd not invited as a Mod.  His contribution is and was immense, and was probably more valuable than a couple (no names given) of people who are currently in that position...  

And I think also that David5o is also right, I too believe we should be told/informed of Mod changes
This is not a war zone...it was a question and suggestion...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:52:28 pm by Scottish_Rob »