Author Topic: Moderators  (Read 5723 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
RE: Moderators
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 07:34:52 pm »
Point #1 We are covered in diverse time zones.  We have a 2 mods in China, which is 12 hours ahead of my time zone.

Point #2 We have a 2 mods in China.  One mod who is of German descent.  One mod who has extensive experience in South East Asia (Not just China).  One who is married to a Chinese woman, and living with her (Actually we have two of those).

Point #3 Geographic location has never and will never factor in to how a mod is chosen.

Point #4 When picking a mod, usually I come up with the names of members I think would be good in this position.  I throw the names to the mods and they debate it and vote on it.  The nominated potential mods are not aware they have been nominated.  In the last round, I had nominated a British member, and a member from Australia.

Point #5 This topic strikes me as being racists to a degree, because I have to defend why there are no mods from Europe.

Point #6 It was suggested we should have a mod from the UK, and one from Europe.  Are they both not on the same continent?

Point #7 In the past I have informed you of mod changes.  I didn't do it this time.  Obviously it was not necessary in the end, because you have all seen there was a change.  So really, what is the problem?  If you see something that I am not, please tell me, because I do not see the issue here. Changes were made...you see it...sorry I didn't tell you before...but you obviously see it...so the problem is what?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:52:40 pm by Martin »

Offline maxx

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 09:28:34 pm »
Rob I have thrown Paul Todds name into the hat.On the last two mod replacment.But since Paul Todd hasn't ben on the forum in months.So I always get out voted.I did suggest a Aussie on the last go around.But the member we did choose.Is allot further along.In his relationship.So it was decided to go that route.

In time I'm sure there will be another mod opening.And at that time the mods will get together again.And throw different names in the hat.I will throw the Aussie name in there again and a couple of other names and we will see what happens.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:29:43 pm by maxx »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2010, 09:31:50 pm »
Quote from: 'Martin' pid='38293' dateline='1273448092'

So really, what is the problem?  If you see something that I am not, please tell me, because I do not see the issue here. Changes were made...you see it...sorry I didn't tell you before...but you obviously see it...so the problem is what?

Come on guys cut Martin some slack - after all he is the God Father of this site.

Does that mean then Martin, that by default your wife is now our God mother? Well wish her well on Mother's day from all of us here - HAPPY Mother's Day God Mother Zhifang :heart:

And Happy Mothers day to all our members mothers on this day. To that lady that burped us into life screaming and kicking.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:34:44 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2010, 09:44:24 pm »
Martin, don't get me wrong.  I like the mods, but when I suggested time zone, I was thinking someone maybe 6 hours ahead or so.  That takes pressure off of some of the other guys.  I know everyone has a life (or some semblance of one).  So splitting the timezones a bit more than one or the other doesn't hurt... Nationality is meaningless to me.  It could be Bob Smith (American/Canadian/whatever) living in Spain... just want to make sure that everyone gets some free time.

As for being racist because there's no-one here from Europe, technically I don't think that's true.  Although Ronen's account isn't a moderator account, isn't he's the tech guru running behind the scenes...I'm sure if he needs moderator access to deal with something, he can give it to himself at least temporarily...We just don't see him posting as often for some reason...

Regarding David5o's picture that got deleted, I haven't seen it, don't really care.  He's posted lots of other jokes that are funny enough.  Rob is right that humour is a cultural thing... but if it's within reason and taste (someone who shows me a picture of a decapitated body and says that's funny needs an adjustment), I don't see why it's such a concern.

And finally, guys, before you reply, sit back, have a sip of joe (or tea or pop or whatever) and give it at least 30 seconds before you say something.  I perceive the tone here by everyone is getting a little tense.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Chong

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2010, 09:46:35 pm »
Quote from: 'Scottish_Rob' pid='38290' dateline='1273437603'

Chong all I was meaning was using someone who talks to a lot of members everyday.

Doesn't mean that that person would make a good MOD. Total # of postings is not a factor to be a MOD ?

Lets take a look at (for example) the offending post/picture by david5o, that was deleted.   I am sure that this formun is male dominated.  So we as members can expect to see some sort of pictures like the one posted.  I never saw it or commented on the said picture when it was posted, but I did see it, and thought it was very funny.

David5o post almost everyday on that thread. This was the first time I deleted something [ a 1/2 nudie pic showing large hanging breasts ] from him on that thread ... with a personal PM explanation to him. Is it really important to have a knot in your underwear(s) over this ???

I. am almost sure our Chinese girlfriend/Fiances/Wifes would have also seem the humour in it, because after all we are all built the same way, and they do have a sense of humour.

You're ASSUMING ! ... Another member posted that he would need to sit with a milkcan underneath her breasts. Female members don't need to read tasteless postings like that. It's not even funny.

So please guys, don't think I'm trying to cause internal trouble I'm not.  The forum is open to asking questions and suggestions.

This is not a war zone...it was a question and suggestion...

I understand. I'm just replying to your concerns.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:06:52 pm by Chong »

ttwjr32

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 09:54:26 pm »
i am wondering is all this about who is mod now and maybe a personal disliking of
2 people who are mods that has even brought this thread up?? or is it about the deletions
of a few posts that werent deemed appropriate that has gotten some people in an uproar.

if there is a problem with thinking someone shouldnt be a mod then as an adult state your concerns
in a thread and let the consensus take a look at it

then the mods can decide if a change is needed and make that change.

i think the bottom line is that maybe something wasnt said to your liking and now
there is an ax to grind

rockycoon

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 10:04:29 pm »
Ted, don't worry little buddy.  We still love you, no matter what kind of shirt you wear...:icon_cheesygrin:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:05:15 pm by rockycoon »

ttwjr32

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 10:11:16 pm »
and my lady freind from Guangzhou just came back from Reno nevada
and bought me 8 new shirts from walmart  pretty jazzy looking  lol!!!

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2010, 10:13:09 pm »
From my end, it doesn't matter who is moderator as long as their fair and level headed.  I have no disliking for most of the members here...some of them (members) I have some concerns about, but that's for me to work through.

Just thought I would comment because the topic came up.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2010, 10:34:51 pm »
Quote from: 'Rhonald' pid='38279' dateline='1273409645'

Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='38260' dateline='1273382195'

I will get a little political here.  If the world is set for one president and the only voters who vote are in the USA then who will win, the American President of course regardless of whether any other countries presidents are more suited or not.  

Willy

Well let me see.....:huh: In California only Americans can vote for a Governor right? So where is that guy from?

But as I understand it he is one film star Governor of Califirnia that cannot be elected as President.

Now this forum is becoming active - Bit like 'Desperate Housewives'   no sorry this forum is more interesting.

When I was a youngster growing up in England we used to have major battles at our more popular seaside between 'Mods' and 'Rockers' (teenage groups) I think it is a major concern with some of of Anglo heritage members who are still trying to decide whether they are mods or rockers. The film Quadrophenia was based on this.

I have no problem in say that maybe I am just off my rocker.

Willy

PS How long has Hawaii been a state of the USA.  No I am not talking about the major influence on a certain President.   I am refering to a more major issue like 'Those Shirts"
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:46:50 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

rockycoon

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 10:46:27 pm »
Willy, you and Ted and Shaun are making those shirts famous agian.  Soon all of China will be wearing them as the latest fad, Then
Asia, finally THE WORLD.....:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 10:54:39 pm »
Do not bring me into that exclusive 'Shirt' community.  Have you ever seen a photo of me in a 'flower' shirt.  NEVER you have and never you will.   LOL LOL

And how can the Chinese wear them - oh I know - judging by the size they come in they could provide living accomodation for the whole family.  Plus Grandma and grandpa - and of course a few visiting cousins.

The time you see me wearing one you will also be the time when I am wondering around aimlessly say 'Book em Dano' .

Well I am sure Rob does not mind us highjacking this thread as I am sure it was originally started in a half jocular manner.

Willy
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:57:18 pm by Willy The Londoner »
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 11:00:39 pm »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='38312' dateline='1273458891'

But as I understand it he is one film star Governor of Califirnia that cannot be elected as President.

Now this forum is becoming active - Bit like 'Desperate Housewives'   no sorry this forum is more interesting.

When I was a youngster growing up in England we used to have major battles at our more popular seaside between 'Mods' and 'Rockers' (teenage groups) I think it is a major concern with some of of Anglo heritage members who are still trying to decide whether they are mods or rockers. The film Quadrophenia was based on this.

I have no problem in say that maybe I am just off my rocker.
Willy

You are absolutly right Willy on both accounts: Mr Gobernor not being able to become the Prez and that this form is more interesting. :icon_biggrin:

I have admired your many witty comments and I was just trying to bring to :idea: that blanket statements are sometimes issued that might not be totally right. After all you might say that one & one is two but I could point out that no one & one is 11.

And yes I would have pegged you as a rocker. :blush:

I still have hopes that on my next visit I might make a trip to see either you or Ted being that both cities are near Shenzhen . Have Chinese wife - will Travel
Note to self:
1)if visiting Ted - bring jerky
2) if visiting Willy - bring loud shirt
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:06:14 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

rockycoon

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 01:44:23 am »
Willy, your wife is secretly going to buy a flowered shirt for you.. she will adorn your body with it and send us the picture, don't
sleep tonight...lol lol

And speaking of presidents who were actors, yes they do get elected....ever heard of Ronald Regan (the cowboy)...

There is an old saying: only regan can go to china.  It's because he was the first.

Offline maxx

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 02:05:56 am »
Rocky Nixon went to China along time before Regan did.