Author Topic: Language learning, Oh joy!  (Read 8655 times)

Offline mustfocus

Re: Language learning, Oh joy!
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 01:39:08 pm »
I learnt Japanese basics by myself just watching Japanese drama series for a few years. Now I can understand the "every day language" on Japanese.
I can't find any Chinese series. I would have tried to same otherwise. I've looked for Chinese movies but those don't really feel so helpful. Only Chinese series I found was "Gondor Hero". That was an awesome series anyway. But the language used in it is nothing close to everyday Chinese...

I think you mean Condor Heroes... That series was in cantonese (guangdonghua) if I remember correctly (it's been years since I have seen it on TV).  Most of the TV series from the 80's and 90's were in cantonese if you got them overseas. TVB produces mostly cantonese series now, but the other networks are getting more exposure...

(BTW, there are at least 2 more series if you liked the story...and one or two "rebirths" of the series floating around)
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 06:10:19 pm »
I just learned something today.  I always wondered why there are two words for "2" - liang and er.  I hit a translation and realized "liang" could be considered the same as our word "both".  I love these little Ah ha moments.  I don't know it it's entirely correct, but it makes more sense to me now.  I just wanted to share...
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 06:20:21 pm »
I remember the same and when I asked my Chinese friend, he said it was like our word for couple, or pair, or both.

Are you still taking Chinese lessons Neil? I am mainly learning from some programs I have.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:22:28 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Paul Todd

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 09:19:26 pm »
I had one of those "ah" moments too this week when I found out the word "narrlee" (that of course is my version of the spelling ::) ) meant Where and There...but why this should be is still way beyond me. Also it seems contradictory in that I could point to something and say " Where it is" Mandarin don't you just love it!!!! ;D

Offline Neil

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2010, 12:12:47 am »
ha.  Just the other day I was listening to my Pimsleur cd, and they said "Where? There."  = "Nar? Nar."  In some ways it makes more sense to me than English. 

Yeah Rhonald, I still study sometimes.  Not as often as I should though.  I have Pimsleur and 3 levels of Rosetta Stone's Mandarin.  I haven't been taking any lessons lately.  My Chinese friend here in town has been very busy lately, and so have I. 

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 03:21:14 am »
Good to hear Neil. I have had and tried Pimsleur when I was learning Spanish and thought it a quality product. I never saw it in the store for Mandarin so I have bought Living Languages, Earworms & the Michel Thomas products. I love the voice of the Asian girl on Earworms and like their method of teaching but I have only seen their level one course. I also listen to Ask Benny on youtubes.

I see that you said that you have been busy " Ne hung mung" but I hope to hear that soon you will get a chance to travel to China again. I know you have not quit had the success we all hope for but I still liked hearing about your journey as it still helps others in their own process.

And Paul, on earworms, the Englishman cues us to remember what narlee means as refering to narlee as - Narlee where it should be. And another example he uses is - on my tour I saw a Toilet - toursaw for toilet.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 03:24:41 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 03:35:58 am »
Rhonald,

Toilets (ce suo) are usually narlee...  :o

All kidding aside, xian zai ni zai na li. (Where are you right now?)

Neil hen mang.

Problem with typing the wrong words in romanized english is that if you learn it that way, you aren't learning it properly and will make it harder to be understood if they understand pinyin.
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen

Offline Neil

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 03:09:55 am »

Neil hen mang.

I'm trying to figure out what you said...  I get the first two words.  Neil very...mang.  I hit up MDBG and found a few words:
茫 - vast, with no clear boundary / fig. hazy / indistinct / unclear / confused
漭 - vast / expansive (of water)
铓 - sharp point / point of sword
忙 - busy / hurriedly

You're right.  Pinyin without the tones is very non-mang (pointless).

Offline mustfocus

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2010, 03:49:14 am »
You're very busy.  Hen mang...

The problem is that not everyone here can view the accents... so I generally strip them out.

Another problem that we encounter is that translation is also based on context.  Case in point, type in pointless into a translator program... the computer can't take into account the context properly.  And it's not consistent either... if you type pointless into MDBG, you get 9 different phrases.  Google will add one more and Zhongwenweb will give you another...

Which is why you (and I and everyone else) has to practice with a native speaker...otherwise we won't learn the difference...
梦醒时分 - Meng Xing Shi Fen