Author Topic: Chinese economics  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Chong

Re: Chinese economics
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2010, 10:18:18 pm »
My sister-in-law and her husband has no mortgage. Like many families here, her husband's family helped with the purchase of their apartment.

Monthly Expenses that I know of ...

500 RMB for household fixed costs [ telephone, electricity, water ]
500 RMB for household fixed costs [ for her parents' place ]
2,500 RMB for food

They're not big spenders but cost of living adds up. They also have a 2 year old son.

David has it right that there are more poorer people than middle class. The gap is even getting bigger. In Kaiping, a typical villager grows his/her vegetables and sells the excess amount on the street markets for spending money. Every unused plot of land is utilized by a vegetable garden. The single thing I admire about the Chinese is that they enjoy whatever life they have despite their income level. They always have plenty of food on the table and are very warm hosts. Other than a television, mah jong tiles & playing cards, they have no need for anything else to occupy their leisure time. Westerners may make more money but they spend more and are probably unhappier because most want to keep up with the Joneses. The credit/debt system will be the doom of the next generation of Chineses.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 10:24:04 pm by Chong »

ttwjr32

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 07:55:48 am »
Chong ,

thats a good observation on your part about the credit/debt of the younger generation. i see that here quite often when i am at
a store. the person pulls out their wallet and you see the credit slots filled with cards. reminds me of my freinds in usa and a few
other parts of the world who seem to live on their cards

Ted

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 09:09:48 am »
All this money talk. I suppose I will have to up my wifes housekeeping. 

Perhaps I will go as high as 2000 a month, but only if she pays the rent as well. And then only if she promises to give me back any change. 

Who said two can live as cheaply as one?  Here 5 can live as cheaply as one.

Willyu
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2010, 02:32:49 pm »
Sorry for my ignorance on this whole subject but it is very interesting.  I am working my self in the dirt here to have an extra money in saving when I go to teach.  At least an extra 5000 rmb a month.  With the teaching salary of 5000 rmb.  This is is Chonqing so no idea the average salary range there. 
麥杰德
QQ 859407630