Author Topic: Teaching Books  (Read 1266 times)

Scottish_Rob

Teaching Books
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:52:45 pm »
Hi guys

Been racking my brains.  So would like any  prospective or qualified teachers here to help..

What type of books for kids would I need?
The same question for teaching adults?
Also any ideas on teaching aids would also be helpful?

Cheers

Offline Jason B

• Xia and Laura the most beautiful girls in the world
  • Xia - guardian of my heart.
Re: Teaching Books
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 11:13:47 pm »
Whilst I am not a qualified teacher, I have had experience teaching new sailors their jobs when I was in the Navy.  (got a couple of teaching certificates out of it).  The first thing is patience and more patience.  This is completely new learning to them, just think of how you would like to be starting out learning Chinese for example.  When I was teaching I had "it takes patience to get a good student" written on my desk.  I would read that before I left my office to begin any lessons.   It help to put me in the right frame of mind and I could then concentrate on what I was trying to achieve that lesson.  Secondly only go as fast as the slowest learner.  But do not do this continuously as others will get bored and not wish to continue with the course.  I would think that for a younger audience you would want a book that has big pictures say for example a star with the word in English as large as possible.  That way they can picture the star and the word in Chinese and then you tell them the English word and get them to repeat it a couple of times.  I would suggest very basic sentences  to begin with and then expand from there.  This would apply to all age groups.  Also it is important at the beginning of each new session to review the last lesson.  This gives the memory a jolt, people start to feel that they have achieved something by remembering words from the last lesson and then the new lesson can begin.  Make sure that each lesson flows from one to the other in some form.  Taking the star example above, you may want to focus all the learning on heavenly bodies for a couple of lessons IE. sun, stars, moon etc.  The worst thing about trying to learn something is when you jump from one topic to another that have no relation in the type of learning that has been studied last lesson.  For sentence structure each word written onto magnetic strips or whatever type of resource you have place them individually onto a board and then you can move the words around to give different meanings to each sentence.

All the best, just my thoughts only.
I WILL have my revenge for having to be clean shaven......once I learn how to tame my Dragon.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:01:38 am »
http://www.childbook.com/

They sell books to teach children Chinese.  Quite an extensive collection of workbooks and teaching aids. 
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:47:15 am »
Rob is this for teaching English?  If so I got three excellent books from Barnes and Noble.  The are more or less for self taught lessons but you can turn it into a lesson plan.  Thats what I did when I was working with Korean children online.  They have work sheets and everything right in the material.  They have all kinds of language books there actually.  Its also where I get my Chinese language material.

Hope this helps

www.barnesandnoble.com
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

ttwjr32

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:31:29 pm »
Rob,

are you planning on coming here again and teaching? in a school or are you
thinking of tutoring?  there is quite a difference between the two which would
reflect an answer to your post. also if your planning on coming to tutor you will
find it to be more lucrative than teaching in a school with many avenues to get
the students you need to teach

Ted

ttwjr32

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 07:26:26 pm »
 keep in mind if your tutoring that there will be breaks in the teaching as they vacation or study for their tests
 and it is a good idea to always look for more students as they do drop out of class after a few months or so

Paul Todd

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 05:06:44 am »
Hi Rob ,

Are you planning on doing this on a tourist visa? For any Chinese company to employ a foreign teacher they have to have government licences and have been operating for a minimum of 2 years with regular inspections from the Ministry of Education. That's for schools and any private teaching outfits. Even if during those 2 years you pay off the right people there no guarantee that you will get your licence at the end of it. I read a story about an American guy who actually did it and the quote he came up with was " If I known what I was getting myself into I would have shot myself in the head, twice!" If you get caught doing this then you can say goodbye to China forever, it's not worth it mate.

Paul Todd

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 10:13:14 pm »
Rob,
I got my TESOL Diploma through the" London Teacher Training Collage" They are in partnership with Canadian International Educational Organization (CIEO) and are offering guaranteed TEFL placements in China. I can recommend this company, they are an accredited school and helped me a out a lot on my course. If your looking to get back over here this could be a good route for you as all you need is your air fare. the pay and conditions don't look to bad either. Here's the link

http://www.teachenglish.co.uk

It would get your teaching career off and running and after a year you could teach any where. The new term starts in September so what are you waiting for!

It may not be in the same city as your lady but you would be a hell of a lot closer to her than you are now !

ttwjr32

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 08:57:57 pm »
heres a thought for those of you who plan on teaching in china especially tutoring.

you need to plan for a few large gaps in teaching for example; the kids are doing their final exams next week
so the private tutor section is basically off work and will resume on sept 2 of this year when the kids go back to
school    some go traveling and some just want to enjoy the summer holiday so if you dont plan you dont have the
income coming in during this time   

just some food for thought